Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Science Fiction

Topic: Get Yer Steampunk Funk On!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
robdee avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2012 12:54 PM ET

I've ripped through both books in the "Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Series" by Philippa (Pip) Ballantine and Tee Morris. Both "Phoenix Rising" and "The Janus Affair", were quick reads with great characters and non-stop action. Can't wait for the next book in the series!

Taking a break from pure Steampunk for the moment, but I'm sticking with the time period as I'm now reading "The Map of Time"-Felix J. Palma.

Also going to start "Cloud Atlas"-David Mitchell; to get a jumpstart on the upcoming movie.

-RD

robdee avatar
Date Posted: 12/6/2012 1:50 PM ET

Finished "The Map of Time", enjoyed it;  and will probably will start "Map of The Sky" over Christmas Vacation.

Couldn't get into "Cloud Atlas", so I put it aside for now.

Decided to start reading "11/22/63" by Steven King. Started reading it on 11/22/12 and finished it within a week.  Good book with an interesting take on time travel and its consequences. One criticism, I think King hurried the ending. Not to spoil it for anyone, but I wished King would have taken a bit more time for the protagonist to live through the future world he changed by going into the past.  The future world was basically covered as a description not as the protagonist actively participating in it.

Felt like getting back into Steampunk; so I'm now reading "The Doomsday Vault"-Steven Harper. Its the first book in the Clockwork Empire Trilogy.  Its got the same sense and spirit as the "Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Series" by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris.  Nothing to difficult or deep to take away from the escapism of an interesting 19th century alternative history romp.  It hits on all the Steampunk staples (Automatons, Airships, Secret Organizations, Gadgets and Geegaws), Plus....it has Zombies!

-RD

Last Edited on: 12/10/12 8:49 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
robdee avatar
Date Posted: 7/11/2013 9:52 AM ET

Reading "Cold Copper", the third book in Devon Monk's Age of Steam series.

-RD

Last Edited on: 7/11/13 9:53 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
robdee avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2013 10:54 AM ET

Finished reading "Cold Copper", the third book in Devon Monk's Age of Steam series.  

Again Monk delivers continuing the devlopment of great characters, an intriguing storyline, and enough twists and cliff hangers to leave you waiting for the next book in the series.

-RD

robdee avatar
Date Posted: 8/5/2013 8:59 AM ET

Currently reading Her Sky Cowboy-Beth Ciotta  Book 1 "Glorious Victorious Darcys" series.

Note: My DW said she wanted to try "Steampunk" so I started looking for something that would have elements of Romance in it. Well...this is  a "Bodice Ripper" Steampunk story. I skim over the detailed romantic crap (ya know pulsating manhood and wet wanting female stuff) and overall its a pretty good story. Its got airships, time travel, Leonardo DaVinci, some cool inventions, decent world building and a half decent story. I'll have to see how this story turns out to determine if I start reading the second book in the series His Clockwork Canary

-RD

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2013 9:55 PM ET

Lynn Viehl (aka S L Viehl) has a steampunk looking series coming out.  The free PDF short story introduction is on her website.

orlswapper avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: For another take on steampunk ....
Date Posted: 8/10/2013 11:27 PM ET

Check out China Mieville's books.  Perdido Street Station is pure genius and his other books aren't far behind.  He's an amazing worldbuilder and creates wonderful characters who truly live in the worlds he creates.

robdee avatar
Date Posted: 8/12/2013 12:27 PM ET

Finished Her Sky Cowboy-Beth Ciotta  Book 1 "Glorious Victorious Darcys" series. It was good, and I will probably read the second book in the series, but not right away.

Need something with more grit, action and intrigue.  Going to finish the last two books that the late Vince Flynn wrote in the Mitch Rapp series.

-RD

scottp avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2015 6:35 PM ET

I just finished Shanghai Sparrow by Gaie Sebold and really enjoyed it.

Page: