Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - The Writers' Forum The Writers' Forum

Topic: Am I writing to much?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
lulubelleluna avatar
Subject: Am I writing to much?
Date Posted: 10/8/2014 2:18 PM ET

Hello! So, I've been working on this book of mine for a few months now, and as the plot is starting to flesh out, the beginning continues to be a drag. I'll give the basic gist of the plot so that I may explain my problem a bit better:

It's modern day and my MC Waverly has just discovered that she's dying of heart disease. With her family unable to afford her getting a transplant, it's a stressful year of her declining health. But when she's nearing her last few months, maybe even weeks of life, a new experimental medicine is released. It's said to cure everything from heart disease, to cancer, to aids, to the common cold. As if it cleansed the body of inperfections and healed it. And it worked, she took it and she survived. But then the problem began, the one where most people who took it started to get better, and then died, their bodies could not handle this cleansing. It only got worse from there, whatever was in the pill was released into the water supplies, around the world people were unable to escape. Governments crumbled and billions of people died. All except the few who the pill worked for. The people who produced the pill were making a new world, a world without disease, and started a mass genocide to cleanse the earth of disease, even if that meant ending the life of 99% of the human population. From here on it goes about Waverly's life as she has no choice but to conform to the new life in this nearly risen government. 

There's more but that's the beginning. My problem is the time of her finding out she was sick until the pill. In my initial thoughts, that would be book one, that that would be how long it would take me to write it all. But the more I think about it, the more it feels like it's just dragging it's butt up to the first climat point. Do any of you have advice on how to make the beginning more interesting? Like perhaps, should I start after the pill, and revisit Waverly's backstory piece by piece at appropriate times instead of writing out her story from so early on. I just find that who she was as a person, and her dying, is a crucial part of the story, but I don't know how to make it fit without dragging it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/10/2014 6:32 PM ET

In many stories that have to do with a mass cleansing in order to set up a more utopian society create tension for the main character by linking them to a portion of society that wants nothing to do with the new one.  In this case for instance, Waverly could be connected to family that, for whatever reasons, have been living off the grid, (perhaps in an isolated community) and were never subjected to the substance.  Once the truth is discovered those isolated people realize that for them to be forced into it means that the vast majority of them would die.  The more of those people Waverly is connected with the more she is conflicted.  What does she do to resolve the conflict?

Anyway...just thinking.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/24/2014 4:01 PM ET

There's no such thing as writing too much. But if you're having problems with the beginning copy and paste it into a new document and completely rewrite it without looking at the original. Just for something fresh and then you can decide if you like the new one or the old one better.