Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - August Hot Topics

Topic: Women's Small Business

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
gigi avatar
Date Posted: 8/16/2007 9:14 AM ET

I have a website, Forget Me Not Scented Gifts at  www.fmnscentedgifts.com  where I sell handmade artificial and dried wreaths, prayer bottles, handmade potpourri and fragrance oils and room sprays.  I started my web business in 2004 after having a gift shop in a popular shopping center for a couple of years.  It was a real struggle since the rent was very high and traffic was just not enough to keep me afloat.  So, reluctantly and tearfully I closed my shop in 2003, worked on my website and inventory for a year and then opened my website at artsEfest, a crafter's marketplace.  I am officially retired now and the income from my website, while is not enough to support me by itself, contributes to my retirement income and I love working with my crafts.

I just finished reading David Morrell's Burnt Sienna and am now reading the new Harry Potter book that my daughter gave me for my birthday.

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/16/2007 5:24 PM ET

My husband and I have a few companies.  I'm head of our webhosting company (http://www.cadynetworks.com) and he is head of the real estate company (www.williamcady.com).  Our companies may be small right now but we're heading for world domination!  LOL

I do some webdesign on the side, mostly for free for groups I'm associated with but it is a lot of work! 

Last Edited on: 8/16/07 5:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/19/2007 1:54 PM ET

I own my own business, but I have the support of World Financial Group.

World Financial Group is one of the few companies of its kind in the industry today - a company dedicated to serving the financial needs of individuals and families who are often overlooked by the financial services industry. Unlike other companies who target only wealthy clients, WFG is dedicated to teaching people simple financial concepts that will help them put their money to work more effectively and move them toward achieving their financial goals.

World Financial Group also helps families by offering everyday people an uncommon opportunity - the chance to change careers and be in business for themselves, but not by themselves. WFG's Executive Headquarters support, powerful industry relationships, innovative training programs and hands-on field-mentoring business model coupled with your ability to learn and your determination to win can help you start a new future.

I LOVE how I am able to help families.  If you want more information please write me at   k_k_thomas@comcast.net

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2007 1:50 AM ET

I drink wine for a business! Yes wine! I do in-home wine tastings, it is so much fun. I also have wine club memberships and we offer personalized wine labels.

My biggest challenge is trying to make business phone calls with kids screaming, laughing and/or just wanting my attention. My oldest goes to preschool in two weeks, so maybe it will be a little quieter for a few hours.

Hip hip hooray for all of us business women! 

Christy Carter

www.CarterShop.com

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2007 10:24 PM ET

I am an indpendent design consultant with DITY Beads...a design it yourself jewelery and accessories direct marketing company.  It is new...unique and fun home parties.  I'm relatively new to it, as most of the consultants are,  and always am trying to find resources and guidance in the industry that really motivates me.  One book that was suggested from corporate is Build It Big:  101 Insider Secrets from Top  Direct Selling Experts.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/22/2007 1:41 PM ET

I am a small business owner as well!  ^_^  I am an artist and illustrator (mostly watercolor and fantasy) and my website is here:  http://www.carmenkeys.com

I also sell artwork and prints on Ebay and Etsy, wholesale prints through The Fairy Court and have my work licensed through various companies for different products.  This year I am doing my first big art convention, FaerieCon!  I got started in this art career by accident, really -- I've always loved doing art, but at one point I needed money badly and had to think of some way to bring in more income.  I intensely studied what other artists did to be successful, which encouraged me a ton.  So I just took the plunge and never looked back!

The pros:  Setting my own hours is a lovely thing, as well as having no commute time :) -- plus, I LOVE what I do and I can't imagine not doing it.  I get to use my imagination on a daily basis, and painting for me is very absorbing.  Another huge thing I love about my business is that I really get to know my clients and even make good friends out of many of them.  I used to work retail jobs and I always hated how robotic and impersonal it all was... so now I can be as personal as I like!  I also love getting to know other artists in the business, who are a constant source of encouragement and inspiration.  Last but not least, I love that my art makes people feel like children again -- and being in business means I can reach many people with it.  I am very thankful to be doing this. 

The cons:  Setting my own hours (haha) -- I'm not always so good at managing myself, it is a real challenge.  Also, since I don't have a paycheck that comes to me by clockwork every two weeks like I used to in retail, it can be a lot of pressure sometimes to pay bills and such.  There is a lot more planning ahead involved.  I trust that in time things will get more plentiful though, heheh. 

emmer avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/22/2007 6:55 PM ET

Last Edited on: 1/21/09 12:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/23/2007 6:21 AM ET

Hi- I own a business with my husband. We have been doing reupholstery and related things- soft furnishings and new furniture construction- since 2001. We're called Recovering Nicely (my husband came up with that!). I feel the number one advantage to owning your own business is your income is directly connected to how hard you are willing to work. We usually put in many hours a week seven days a week because of our huge workload, but the payoff is great. The biggest drawback for me is the paperwork! And, personally, I love fabric so this line of business is perfect to indulge that! We work with several local decorators and have used many high end fabrics, some of which are absolutely gorgeous! And, as many have stated before, I just could not go back working for someone else, having anybody telling me what to do - but then that's always been an issue, anyway. *grin*

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/23/2007 9:41 AM ET

paperwork is ALWAYS the biggest drag on any business.  My husband takes care of the minutes and filings with the state and I'm taking over the books and putting it into Quickbooks to make it easier on our CPA at tax time

bertholdfamily avatar
Date Posted: 8/25/2007 3:21 AM ET

I run a few at home small businesses. I love it I get freedom and get to stay home with my son! The downfall is it is not always a steady and reliable income!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/26/2007 4:53 PM ET

Hi there!  I have a small personal training business.  I train people in an awesome fitness facility in an office park.  My husband designed the facility and we actually started the business together.  He is doing something else now.  I have absolutely zero overhead which is great because it enables me to keep my fees low.  When weather permits and I am in the mood, I also give fitness camps.  The fitness camps are good for me because they allow me to see many people at the same time.  I give the camps at a local park or I find an office park with some land.  The major disadvantage for me is having to do everything myself.  Marketing, scheduling lunch & learns, keeping track of payments, coming up with ideas for marketing, etc.  I don't have a business/marketing degree so it's challenging at times.  Most of my clients are referrals so that helps.  I have 2 kids so I need to be home in the evenings and that limits my hours.  However the advantage of running my own business is that I don't answer to anyone buy my clients and myself.  I can set my own hours and take vacation when I want.  If one of my kids have something, I just reschedule my client's appointment.  I am also a chiropractor and I am in the process of trying to get out of personal training and back into chiropractic.  That will be the real challenge as I want to continue to work for myself but keep my overhead at a minimum.  I've worked since I was 15 for other people and I definitely prefer having my own business. 

Melinda avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2007 12:47 AM ET

I admire every one who takes a chance and starts their own business! I work for a lady who runs her own daycare and my mom sells handmade christmas stockings on Ebay and both of them work hard at what they do.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/30/2007 1:18 AM ET

I have my own dance studio.  It is called "The Stage Christian Dance Studio - A place to glorify God".  I teach 3-18 year olds 3 days a week.  I do all my own choreography and we have 2 shows a year.  We just started fall classes up this week and so my routine is officially underway again.  I love what I do, and I consider it my ministry.  It doesn't pay all the bills but it helps and this way I don't have to work outside the home in any other way.  We have a 9,000 sq ft home/studio so my home and business are actually under the same roof - no commute! Yea!

I have also helped my husband start a marketing/advertising business since March.  It is going well and expanding, but like everything else - building a business from the ground up takes time!

Janna

bertholdfamily avatar
Date Posted: 9/1/2007 5:39 PM ET

I am a WAHM, to one little boy! I run several at home businesses and love every minute of it! If anyone is interested take a look at my website that has almost all the companies in which I represent! www.freewebs.com/mberthold

I am currently also working on a resource website for stay at home and work at home moms, there will be all kinds of businesses listed and info on daily life, cooking, cleaning, starting your own business, etc Keep an eye out for it www.internetsavvymoms.com

thezookeeper avatar
Date Posted: 2/7/2008 7:00 PM ET

sorry , posted in wrong place,

carry on

http://familyclassroom.net/hsboys/articles/25.html

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

http://www.brownielocks.com/month2.html

Last Edited on: 5/10/08 4:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
VeganFreak avatar
Date Posted: 3/6/2008 5:48 PM ET

Ha! I saw the recent post and wondered if there was an extra secret hideout. :)

kats4me avatar
Subject: Small Business
Date Posted: 5/24/2008 7:12 PM ET

I would love to be able to seel what I make but I don`t know how. I live out in the country and don`t go to craft shows. Does anyone have any ideas?           Kathy

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: music publishing
Date Posted: 8/12/2008 7:41 AM ET

My husband is a composer & arranger of children's choral music.  We have been frustrated with the time it takes to get works published with the large publishing houses, so we are launching our own company.  We will send music to our customers digitally at a reduced cost.  Hopefully, this will help teachers stretch their shrinking budgets.  Printed music becomes more expensive each year.  Teachers will simply print the ordered copies themselves from the digital master.

Since my husband still teaches full-time, I will be running this business. Any advice will be welcomed!

Our web site (soon to be udated) is:

www.rickmckee.net

Check it out for some great singer songwriter material, too!

Last Edited on: 8/12/08 7:44 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/17/2008 10:09 AM ET

I just read a great book specifically for women who are striking out on their own to launch a new business.  It's title is Birthing The Elephant by Karin Abarbanel.  Lots of real life advice from women who have gone this route before.  It's incredibly helpful in what are the pitfalls, etc. 

stevielyn avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2008 4:37 PM ET

I wonder if anyone here can help me. I am trying to start my own used bookstore but I have no start up capital. Does anyone know of any government loans or anywhere that I may apply for a loan for my start up? I am all so new to this, I already have the space aquired for the store now I just need the money to get it all together. Thanking you in advance for anyone that can shed some light here for me.

Janet13 avatar
Subject: Small Biz
Date Posted: 9/11/2008 11:29 PM ET

I own a small biz -- more like it own's me ;-).  I have  a small restaurant/bar & I've just got my bottling license to start bottling my BBQ Sauce.  www.outlawsbarbq.com is still a work in progress.  The hardest part of the job -- is the employees, finding new catering jobs & finding time to read books.  But it's nice to finally use my 35 plus years working different jobs in this one!

Page: