Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Humor

Topic: Which is better? Onion, N.Lampoon, or Uncle John's

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Which is better? Onion, N.Lampoon, or Uncle John's
Date Posted: 1/23/2008 4:22 PM ET

I never read any compilations by The Onion, National Lampoon, or the Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. But I have seen them take up the majority of shelf space in bookstore humor sections. Does anyone recommend these for a hearty laugh?

I think I'd be hesitant to order a used copy of the bathroom readers for obvious reasons. Ha.

katknit avatar
Date Posted: 1/23/2008 9:42 PM ET

Onion always makes me laugh.

lisarichards avatar
Date Posted: 2/1/2008 9:00 AM ET

Hi Mike,

I just read your post over in the "Welcome Newbies" thread.  I see what you mean about being all alone here.  I think I can hear an echo!

I think the reason more people don't come to this or other specialty sections is that they like the convenience of just going to the "Members Thoughts" section and talking about anything that crosses their minds.  There's pleny of humor there, too!

Good luck in your search for humorous PBSers!

paul avatar
Subject: Uncle John series
Date Posted: 6/3/2008 7:36 PM ET
I have read most of these. I don't usually find them humorous but they are a great light read. Usually only two pages or less on a particular article. All kinds of unusual stories and history. Great lists. They are wonderful to take along on a trip. Usually, once I finish with them I post them on PBS. They don't last more than a day or so before they are requested, so they must be pretty popular. You couldn't go wrong getting one of these. And, yes, they are nice to have for the stated purpose. Paul
rainbowbrite98 avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2008 12:52 PM ET

Uncle John is the best.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/18/2008 9:25 PM ET

I don't read the other two but The Onion is intelligently funny.  I love it!  Recently I rented The Onion movie, which was quite entertaining.

paul avatar
Subject: Uncle John's
Date Posted: 12/20/2008 11:24 AM ET
I am only familiar with the Uncle Johns series. I find them a great thing to have when you don't want to do serious reading. Some of the "installment" articles, where they do 3 or four pages in three installments through the book are pretty interesting. History of the US relations with Iraq for instance. Recommend them