Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: What is your Favorite Audio Book?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/13/2016 10:18 PM ET

Hey, Margaret T.  

kathyk avatar
Date Posted: 12/13/2016 11:06 PM ET

The Road by Cormac McCarthy read by Rupert Degas. The narrater really makes this audio.

Cosmina avatar
Date Posted: 12/13/2016 11:44 PM ET

"Flowers from the Storm" by Laura Kinsale. Narration by  Nicholas Boulton

I am going to learn how to record audible to CD just so I can listen to this book in the car.  One of my top ten all time favorite books.

megt avatar
Date Posted: 12/14/2016 5:23 PM ET

Hey Bonnie and Pamela!  Still here, but work load changed and I don't have as much time to play on the web at work!  And I must be watching too much TV because I don't seem to read as much, I have stopped adding to book pile to work on what I already have, and this site makes me add books! 

BrownEyesBlue avatar
Date Posted: 3/31/2017 11:06 PM ET

My favorite audio books -

The complete series of Outlander books that I listened to one after the other.

The Last Mile by David Baldacci that I just finished listening to this week.

rjvagabond avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2017 4:14 PM ET

I really should have reviewed this thread a month ago.  Just got home from a long road trip and did my usual excessive "vacation" checkout of library audiobooks.  I always take more than I think I'll need because it always seems you get into a book and find it has so many damaged tracks and/or disks you can't continue with it and have to go to another book option. Since it was going to be along trip I was scratching my head on books to take and if I'd checked here first I'd have been well advised.  Next trip.  

Of the books I listened to on this trip the one I liked most (and still have one disk left to finish on) is the audiobook of The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, narrated by Scott Brick.  Brick is a prolific narrator and I've done a few of his other audiobooks.  He did a really good job on this book.  The story itself is an interesting weaving of the story of the 1893 World's Columbian Expostion (World's Fair) with the story of one of the country's worst serial killers who used that event as a venue to take many of his victims.  Between Larson's story and Brick's narration I was quite sorry I missed experiencing the great Chicago World's Fair and the miles and story just flew by.  

If I haven't already posted it here, IMO the best audiobook I listened to last year was, Got Set A Watchman by Harper Lee, and narrated excellently by Reese Witherspoon.  I know the critics panned the book but I enjoyed it and found it timely to today's politcal polarization with regards to race and social issues and Witherspoon's narration was one of the best I've heard.  

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 3:07 PM ET

Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman.

Holy Moly  I listen to a lot of audios and this is one of the best in a long time.  Sad it is a mere 2 disks, but there is so much story and heart in the tales of those most unlikely folks who almost reluctantly come together to turn a junk-filled empty lot (contradiction there?)into a glorious community garden.  Highly recommended.

mistyks avatar
Date Posted: 4/26/2017 2:24 PM ET

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Short-History-Nearly-Bill-Bryson/book/055215072X/

It is read by the author. My husband and I really liked this one a lot!

rjvagabond avatar
Date Posted: 5/12/2017 10:18 PM ET

About halfway through this one (below) and it is written in a way that is very differnt from anything I've listened to before but enjoyable.  The book is written as a long conversation between the key players in The Daily Show from the time Stewart came on board until he left.  The cast of characters "talking" is a mix of the on-air-talent, Jon Stewart, producers, writers, notable guests on the show, etc.  In the audiobook the narration is done by several readers (not the actual Daily Show staff) but they work to change their speech patterns to mimic the actual Daily Show staff.  It talks about the decisions made on what direction the show should take, the hiring and firing of staff, the dramas between key personnel, basically, what was going on behind and in front of the cameras, and interspersed with those stories are reenactments of some of The Daily Shows more notable clips.  Certainly a fast moving dialogue.  

Product Details

megt avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2017 10:59 AM ET

Glad to see some updates on here!  I need some ideas for summer road trips!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/11/2017 8:33 PM ET

Terry Pratchett's read by Nigel Planet. Totally fabulous!!

rhyta avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/16/2017 3:05 PM ET

I just found this thread but I couldn't remember if I had posted here before smiley

I got started with audiobooks in 2004 and began with Jim Dale reading Harry Potter, fell in love with his voice and then branched out. 

Favorite narrators:  Simon Vance (Millenium Trilogy, His Majesty's Dragon ) Lisette LeCat (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency) Susan Ericksen (J.D. Robb) and my newest one is Anton Lesser.  Just finished a re-listen of The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman.  It is a Victorian mystery trilogy  (Ruby in the Smoke and Shadow in the North) revolving around Sally Lockhart, a plucky gal who gets out of some difficult situations with a group of friends.  I loved the narration by Lesser, he has a great grasp of dialects and I loved the cockney and irish ones particularly. It had me on the edge of my seat and laughing out loud in places.  I plan on listening to some of his Dickens performances.

I am laughing along with Carrie Fisher (RIP) in her Princess Diarist, just started and enjoying it immensely.

Don't know what I would do without audio books and podcasts, they are a godsend.

Last Edited on: 6/16/17 3:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ripley avatar
Lori M. (ripley) - ,
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/25/2017 1:45 PM ET

Anything by Neil Gaiman that he reads himself. Absolute bliss!

mistyks avatar
Date Posted: 10/8/2023 7:33 AM ET

Some of my favorites since my last post in 2017

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, narrated by Alexandra O'Karma

Boomtown by Sam Anderson, narrated by the author

Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau, narrated by Caitlin Kinnunen

The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin, narrated by Robin Miles

A Swim in a Pond in the Rain: In Which Four Russians Give A Master Class on Writing, Reading, and Life by George Saunders, narrated by the author, and others

The Lost Queen by Signe Pike, narrated by Toni Frutin

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds, read by the author

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/22/2023 7:47 AM ET

This thread used to be so active in the older days.  I wonder why we audio-lovers have let it slide so, myself included.  I listen to so many, and they had certainly increased in popularity over the years with downloads.  I will try to do better, and will be back soon with my list of favorite listens for this year.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 12/22/2023 9:06 PM ET

Bonnie I also listen to audio, mainly in the car. Will come back later with my recent suggestions!

Page: