Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: unexpected satisfaction

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/10/2014 7:51 AM ET

an unexpected read for me was The Dork of Cork by Chet Raymo. Picked the book up off a pile of cheap books at a used book store. Author and book were totally unknown to me. Ended up really enjoying the book. Another one was Mrs Caliban by Rachel Ingalls. A friend recommended it and it was very good. I've read that one twice so far.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/10/2014 9:42 PM ET

I agree that The Grifters movie was excellent--a rare example of the movie being better than the book.

Rose

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/11/2014 10:06 PM ET

I watched "the Grifters" but didn't like it much better than the book. I like Cusak but felt he was out of his realm with this role which made the movie hard to get into. The movie did cause me to invest more time into the book but not enough to finish it. Benning made her character come to life. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/16/2015 11:14 AM ET

An Ideal Husband by Wilde. What a perfect little play! I can't express how much I enjoyed reading it. Easily the best thing I've had my hands on in at least six months. Fortunately I hadn't seen the movie version beforehand. 

Page: