Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Religion & Spirituality

Topic: Try Jesus before you dabble...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
behemoth avatar
Date Posted: 1/11/2013 4:11 PM ET

Allegorical is not a problem, just not what the parts you mentioned are.  They really happened in time and space.  The birth of Jesus was a real event, so when the Bible gives details it would be a problem if there really was no census or mass killing of babies because that story is not meant to be allegory, it is written as a historical event.

You can't proove Herod did not kill a mass amount of babies, only that it is not recorded in sources outside the Bible.  A nasty man like Herod did many nasty things, so killing a town's babies may not make a blip on the radar of history.

The Exodus from slavery in Egypt is also a real event, not told as make-believe.  I have seen a show that shows evidence for a real life exodus and looks at chariot wheels found at the bottom of seas in Egypt.  A main problem with finding things from the Bible is figuring out the difference between Biblical locations and current locations because cities and boundaries shift over time making it difficult to find.

nashvillethecat avatar
Date Posted: 1/11/2013 4:23 PM ET

I agree, getting "confirmation" on things THAT far back is tricky.  Even getting back past my great-grandfather (German Immigrant)... the family lines don't go back much futher due to the fact that he was an illigitimate child.

I also take the Bible literally as events that did occur.  I am not torked if people look for further evidence regardless of what side they are trying to prove.  I find ALL historical findings interesting.

It is my belief that any current discrepincies (sp?) , in time, will find that History and the BIble line up  more and more.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/16/2013 8:30 AM ET

If a person doesn't consider certain things in the Jesus birth and childhood as allegory it becomes a problem because many of the events in the Jesus story did not take place in history when the Bible claims they did.

Chariot wheels being found in the Egyptian seas is not proof.  Seas fluctate.  They flood.  They recede.  Roads normally run alongside bodies of water.  If the seas did any of the preceeding things, and they did, it explains the chariot wheel being in the seas.

The Bible is historical, not history.  It's not just scientists and skeptics who say that, so do biblical scholars.  If you read Biblical commentaries from them, you can confirm this for yourself.

Last Edited on: 1/17/13 12:44 AM ET - Total times edited: 6
joshsf avatar
Date Posted: 1/18/2013 5:49 AM ET

Brandon, the offensiveness of the wording of your post subject is mitigated (at least for me) by your cuteness. ;-)

behemoth avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2013 7:36 PM ET

dictionary.com  "dabble" = to work at anything in an irregular or superficial manner. 

behemoth avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2013 7:38 PM ET

I don't think all witches dabble, I'm sure some are all fully dedicated to death, but my point was if you are searching out religions and testing the waters here and there do not skip time with Jesus Christ. 

Page: