Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Tracking info

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Tracking info
Date Posted: 7/10/2020 6:11 PM ET

I discovered a book I ordered here says 'delivered' on USPS tracking site, but does not list a date.  The last entry that had a date said ' in transit 5 July'.  The book has not arrived as far as I can tell unless it was dropped off at a neighbor's by mistake. 

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/11/2020 5:27 PM ET

Was your mail on hold when you were away? My books and packages get scanned delivered when my mail is on hold even though it is still at the post office. I'm not sure if that is what is supposed to happen.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 7/13/2020 12:03 AM ET

Yeah it was on hold but everything has been picked up and opened and the missing book is not among them. I got 3 others last week and reported them all received now but fear the sender is going to be piqued at me for not marking this one as received. 

Last Edited on: 7/13/20 12:04 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 7/13/2020 7:34 AM ET

Hopefully the book will show up this week. It might have gotten put with someone else's held mail; scanned wrong; left on the truck; or delivered to the wrong address and got put back into the mail stream.

I messaged the sender when one of my books was scanned delivered and was not delivered to me. It turned up a few days later.

nandip avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 7/13/2020 3:49 PM ET

I had the same thing but on a book I shipped out. the lady said she never got it but upon politely asking about her mail she said hers was on hold for 8 days while on vaca and she picked up "all" her mail upon return but a family member was missing mail so a trip back to the PO they discovered that more mail had been held in an additional container, all their packages. huh? never heard this before so I asked my friendly post mistress and sure enough, sometimes they have to do a 2nd mail hold container for overflow mail, packages etc.    worth a trip back to the post office with the tracking # and they can SEE it on their scanner machine where the last scan took place and "go find it'. been there done that too. 

Last Edited on: 7/13/20 3:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 7/14/2020 11:17 PM ET

Thanks, Nancy, will check that out. 

starvinArtist avatar
Date Posted: 12/8/2020 1:30 AM ET

When you use pbs postage and mail from your own mailbox,  does the mail carrier scan the book when he picks it up ? or when it gets to the post office??  The book I mailed on 12/4 is only coming up as Electronic Shipping Info Received, no scan yet.  Do I need to be concerned??

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 12/12/2020 3:51 PM ET

When my mail was held recently. They held the first class; second class and packages separately. It took 8 days to get all my mail and 21 complaints. They didn't redeliver when they were to do that; then I got a fraction of the mail in informed delivery  it took 8 days to get a package that was overnighted. (It was at my post office but not sure where they put it) I had very little mail held but thought that was safer to do then keeping it in the mailbox. The office has been a mess for years and is worse with the staff shortage due to COVID.

Adrienne, they used to scan my books if I mailed from my mailbox but haven't recently. I took a book to the blue box on the 6th and it hasn't been scanned yet. So I'm not sure if it was stolen out of the box or is somewhere waiting to get scanned. Another book I mailed from a blue box took 4 days for a scan en route. I've received two books without getting them scanned delivered. They just aren't scanning it seems.

One of my books going somewhere was stuck in DC two weeks. It is still there but scanned again. I think media mail is just getting pushed to the side while they process the other classes of mail.

starvinArtist avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2020 2:09 AM ET

It was finally scanned in Texas.  I was mailing to Pa...from NJ

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2020 6:38 AM ET

So glad for you Adrienne. Mine still hasn't been scanned. I mailed another earlier this week but took it inside to the box in there.

starvinArtist avatar
Date Posted: 12/23/2020 1:24 AM ET

delivered whew

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 2/21/2021 10:38 PM ET

USPS tracking site is down again.