Skip to main content
PBS logo

Book Reviews of Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6)

Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6)
Thread the Halls - Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6
Author: Lea Wait
ISBN-13: 9781496706300
ISBN-10: 1496706307
Publication Date: 10/31/2017
Pages: 320
Rating:
  • Currently 4/5 Stars.

4 stars, based on 16 ratings
Publisher: Kensington
Book Type: Mass Market Paperback
Reviews: Amazon | Write a Review

4 Book Reviews submitted by our Members...sorted by voted most helpful

cathyskye avatar reviewed Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6) on + 2270 more book reviews
Lea Wait brings readers a wonderful Maine Christmas in this sixth book in her Mainely Needlepoint series, which has been one of my favorites from the very first book. Since Angie worked for a private investigator for ten years while living in Phoenix, she has the background to make her one of the strongest amateur sleuths you'll find. She shares all her findings with the local police, and she doesn't do anything stupid-- both things that I really appreciate.

There hasn't been much needlepoint being done in the last few books, but that's not really a problem. Wait begins each chapter with a quote from an historic sampler, and those quotes can tell readers quite a bit about the embroiderers and the times they lived in. (People really can live on through their stitching.)

The mystery is a good one with a large suspect pool, and the motive for the crimes isn't easily deduced. I had my eye on one suspect in particular, and I enjoyed watching the mystery unfold. What I didn't enjoy were Skye West and her son.

A week before Christmas, and this woman decides that she wants her large Victorian mansion lavishly decorated, a never-ending gourmet food supply on hand, and needlepoint gifts stitched for each of her guests. Everyone in town is supposed to drop what they're doing and dance to her tune because-- after all-- she does pay well for what she wants. (Her son behaves the same way.) I won't tell you what my response would have been, but you can tell that I felt like a put-upon member of the Mainely Needlepoint family.

Chances are excellent that you will, too. A wonderful Maine setting, strong mysteries, and an excellent cast of characters. Come join the family. I promise I won't make you learn needlepoint!
booksinvt avatar reviewed Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6) on + 458 more book reviews
Thread the Halls is the sixth installment in the Mainely Needlepoint series set in Haven Harbor, ME and featuring Mainely Needpoint owner Angie Curtis. With Christmas right around the corner Angie is looking forward to the holidays spent with boyfriend Patrick West, friends and her family.

Patrick receives a call from his mother Skye, renowned actress that she will be taking a break from filming and returning to the West estate, Aurora along with several of her cast members to celebrate the holidays. Skye would like Angie and her fellow needlepointers to create personalized pillows for the film crew, and Patrick enlists her help along with half the town to get Aurora decorated for the famous celebrities.

Shortly after Skye's arrival, Angie and Patrick discover the body of actor Paul Carmichael while walking the grounds of Aurora. Unsure if the man has been accidentally shot by a hunter or if someone had a grudge against the man, Angie finds herself drawn into the investigation to find a killer. When Patrick is poisoned by cookies that Angie is accused of baking, hopes for a happy holiday quickly melt away.

A fast paced storyline that features many recurring series characters, a cozy town and plenty of suspects. The only thing that I am beginning to dislike about the series is that Angie seems to always put Patrick and his family before her own needs. The relationship between the two doesn't evoke warm and fuzzy feelings for me and I'm almost wishing that another love interest will move into Haven Harbor.
kimberlyrav avatar reviewed Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6) on + 417 more book reviews
I came in on this story by just reading this book as a stand alone. It worked perfectly as one. I didn't feel I was missing anything previous.
This book was chock full of Christmas scenery and atmosphere. It made me want to visit Maine all the more, as it is a dream of mine. Also people who enjoy needle work will enjoy the beginning of each chapter which has a short insert about descriptions of famous needlepoint works.

The main character and all of the characters really, are likable and relatable. I enjoyed the murder mystery and figured out the killer only a little past mid way. Though in this book there is a kicker which I didn't see coming.
A great read during the Christmas holiday!
reviewed Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, Bk 6) on + 1528 more book reviews
Thread the Halls by Lea Wait is the sixth book in A Mainely Needlepoint Mystery series. Angie Curtis is looking forward to a quiet Christmas in Haven Harbor, Maine with her family, friends, and boyfriend, Patrick West. Then Patrick gets a call from his mother, Skye West that she is returning for Christmas and bringing some movie people with her. Patrick needs help getting Aurora (their estate) prepped for Christmas in two days (there goes Angie's quiet Christmas). The Mainely Needlepoint group help Patrick prepare for the holidays including custom embroidered little pillows for Skye's guests. After the guests arrive, Patrick and Skye are taking a walk when they discover one of the actor's dead in the snow. Was it an accidentally killing by a hunter or was it deliberate? Then Patrick eats poisoned cookies and Angie is blamed. She is determined to find the culprit and get her Christmas back on track!

Thread the Halls is nicely written and has a nice pace which makes it a quick read. The emphasis in Thread the Halls is on Christmas, friendship, food and family. The murder does not occur until the 25% mark in the story. There is little investigation in the book and it is child's play to solve. There might as well be a giant neon arrow pointing to the culprit. There is a little surprise near the end that some readers might not anticipate. It was interesting to read about various Maine Christmas traditions including the Christmas boat parade (we have a similar one in my area). My rating for Thread the Halls is 3 out of 5 stars. Thread the Halls can be a standalone book. All the pertinent details are included in this installment. I was not a fan of Patrick West (or his mother) in this book. He assumed his money would get him everything he wanted done (which is mentioned several times). I did tire of the repetition of information. The same details are repeated throughout the book. I would have preferred more substance and less fluff. If you are looking for a cozy mystery that is big on Christmas spirit, then check out Thread the Halls.