Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Thoughts on Memoirs...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Sherry avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2021 12:54 PM ET

Too Close to the Falls  Author: Catherine Gildine

Don't know how I missed this memoir....published in 2002 and I am just reading it now wink

It's a great story about a girl growing up near Niagara Falls in the 50's.  She gets herself into quite a few messes when she's younger, but what a good storyteller!  Only halfway through, but I know it's going to be one of those books that I hate to finish because I probably won't find anything as good to read for awhile.

And just read another really good one Waltz With Me Alaska  Author: Donna Blasor-Bernhardt

Great writing, and had me in tears at the ending - a real shocker, but excellent writing

Last Edited on: 5/5/21 4:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 10/21/2021 5:09 PM ET

Time to bring this thread back to life....since I just finished a couple of excellent memoirs.  One was an older book (1999) but it was hard not to make some comparsions to what is happening now with covid.  Completely different disease, but some of the hospital experiences brought covid to mind.  Anyhow, it was a well written book that I didn't want to put down.  Some heartbreaking stories, but also many uplifting stories.  The Least of These My Brethren A Doctor's Story of Hope and Miracles on an InnerCity AIDS Ward  Author: Daniel Baxter

It's a story that will stay with you for a long time, as will the next one I read, which  was Mrs Kennedy and Me  Author: Clint HillLisa McCubbin.  It was written by the Secret Service agent who was assigned to Jacqueline Kennedy during her years in the White House.  I learned a lot about Predsident Kennedy's time in the White House, written in a very engaging (and heartbreaking) manner.

I highly recommend these two excellent books!

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2021 7:17 PM ET

Sherry, about a year or more ago, Mike Rowe posted about meeting Clint Hill, and he talked about his books and other things.  He highly recommended them.  I liked Mrs. Kennedy and one other in particular (Five Presidents?), but one other was a rehash of a lot of stuff (Five Days in Nov?).  Funny, what stuck out the most was how very little SS men got paid in those days, and that they had to pay their own motel bills when on assignment!

Glad to see postings here.

rhyta avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/9/2021 7:07 PM ET

I haven't been on PBS for a while but felt I had to comment on the book I just finished.  I posted this in the Biographies thread but thought it would be good to add it here as well.  I think this autobiography is the best thing I have read in at least 5 years and that is why I wanted to post this.

Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes  by J. Michael Straczynski.

I knew of JMS as the creator of the sci-fi series Babylon 5 so I had decided to read it when it came out in 2019 but only got to it this year.  I haven't read a lot of biographies on a regular basis but have tried a few this year.  The title was a bit over the top so I wondered if he was being sarcastic but was I wrong.  We all have heard and read stories of people who had horrific childhoods and this one fits the bill.  The amazing thing to me is how he survived and didn't become a monster like his father, his love of Superman was one thing that kept him going.  It was hard to read at first but I kept on going because I knew he had to have made it out ok with B5 as a reference point.  This book chronicles all the projects he was involved in and it literally blew me away that so many tv shows, cartoons, graphic novels, movies and series on cable he has written.  I watched Thor again so I could see his cameo in it, I realize now that it was the writing of the script of that show which made me like it so much.

The other thread through this book is how to become a writer, he shows how he did it and if he could succeed then others will be able to as well.  There were so many twists and turns in his career, chance meetings with other writers and how their lives intersected at numerous times.  If you have watched any of these shows or comics then you have come across his writing:

Sense 8, Jeremiah, World War Z, Changeling, Murder She Wrote, Jake and the Fatman, The Real Ghostbusters, Twilight Zone 86-89, She-Ra and He-Man,  The Amazing Spiderman, Thor and many others.

I know this is rather long but it was such a revelation of how many ways he used his talent to write, his tenacity to do the one thing he always wanted to do and be the exact opposite of what his father was.  It is not always an easy read but it is so worth your time. 

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 11/9/2021 7:10 PM ET

Rather long is quite acceptable.  Quite a fine review, Karen.  Thank you.  I will look for this book.

rhyta avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/1/2021 2:23 AM ET

Thanks Bonnie, hope you do read it.  I am buying copies for other friends to read.  Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2022 3:41 PM ET

It's been awhile since anyone posted here...but I just read a really good memoir so thought I'd share here.  

Secret Girl  Author: Molly Bruce Jacobs

It's been on my TBR for awhile, and I'm so glad I finally read it - great book!

dkw1975 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2022 8:44 PM ET

Karen and Sherry, thanks for your recent posts.  I have not read much the last few years.  I think life has just had me too exhausted to read.  But, I've picked back up in the last two or three months with a vengance, so good to see some interesting recomendations.  I did recently listen to an audio book that was a memoir, and it was really interesting.  Can I recall the author or title at the moment? no.  So, I'll have to come back with it.  But, thanks for getting my brain started!

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 7/9/2022 1:36 PM ET

This is the review I just posted for The Long Haul.  I will post it here because I don't really want to decribe the book and my thoughts again.

The Long Haul by Finn Murphy

I love memoirs, but am pretty sick of the battered child the abusing, drug-addicted, alcoholic, father, mother, mother's boyfriend.  The bullying.  This book is a breath of fresh air, funny as heck, and informative.  Whodathunkit?  A memoir written by a mover, a long haul trucker.  What's to tell?

Oh, a lot.  Did you know that there is a heirarchy in the trucking world and that movers are so far at the bottom that they will seldom sit at the counters of truck stops and that even waitresses treat them as something the cat dragged in?  This is a tale of movers, the customer's, and how they try to rip off the company with damage claims, that usually the driver must make good on, even false claims.  A story of packers and how they do it best, how they make the most money per round trip, the competition.  Sooo interesting.

Another little treat in reading this is that a bit of a way in when I was already hooked, Murphy tells about his friendship with the owner of Joyce Movers out of Oxford, CT, and how he came to be affiliated with him.  Joyce was twice our movers and we loved them!  Everything Mr Murphy says about how careful they are with the house, the belongings, their writing up the condition of pieces is true.  I've seen it twice and watched them sticker every item we owned down to an individual shovel, a basket, a garbage pail, and just yesterday pulled a 10 year old sticker off of the back of a bookcase I moved across the room.  Sadly, movers have the most complaints and worst reviews of most any other company that works with the public.  Unfair, in my experience.
I highly recommend this book.

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 7/9/2022 3:53 PM ET

Nice review Bonnie....now another book goes on my wishlist yes

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 7/9/2022 3:53 PM ET

Nice review Bonnie....now another book goes on my wishlist yes

Page: