Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Any suggestions for good Chemistry or Physics teaching programs?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ChWriter avatar
Subject: Any suggestions for good Chemistry or Physics teaching programs?
Date Posted: 2/9/2015 7:20 PM ET

My kids are in a program where they can earn a Bachelors degree for free along with high school credits.  One of my daughters is graduating this spring but still needs high school level Physics and Chemistry (they give her the BA and high school diploma at the same time).  Any thoughts?  I'd prefer something online, and of course cost is an issue.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/12/2015 5:14 PM ET

Would a CLEP Chemistry and Natural Sciences test qualify? I plan to have my son do a few classes on open coursework through MIT, which is free, then take a CLEP test.

ChWriter avatar
Date Posted: 2/13/2015 12:32 PM ET

My daughter has done some CLEP tests--incredible value!  For about $80 she earned 3 credit hours on the last one.  Can't beat that!  An entire semester of class time and at least $700 saved.  However, in this case, I think she needs a bit more instruction (she's an Econ/Management student so Physics and Chem aren't really her subjects).  Thank you for the suggestion though!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/13/2015 2:57 PM ET

The reason I mention open coursework is there are lectures available for free. Most classes listed have the lecture, sample problems, and other study material. Khan academy also has some college level course work. Finding a good tutor along with those would likely be the best then if she is not a science person. Best place to look would be a local university dept where undergrads or grad students are looking for some extra money.

As an aside if you're interested in tutoring I can give some suggestions. I have an undergrad degree in chemistry and geology. I have tutored through regular high school chem, calc, and physics, and as an undergrad I was a TA for a geochemistry class.

ChWriter avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2015 12:27 PM ET

Thanks Sarah.  My husband was a Chem major in college (one of his several majors with all his switching around, lol), so he's in line for tutoring her. Just thought I'd find some type of formal text/program/etc to go with it.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2015 8:22 PM ET

Lynn, sorry this will be my last post since I will be a la carte. I've tutored using a couple different books. Glencoe matter and change was one and its ok. It was an 11th grade text but a lot of the material assumed higher level knowledge in some areas and was terribly simplistic in others. Holt chemistry is better though examples are a bit confusing without some help. They also sometimes show examples with a bit of information from future chapters. I find that counter productive when going over examples and really wish they would rework them. Prentice hall has really done terribly with the new editions and I would suggest pre 2000 or avoid them entirely. 

ChWriter avatar
Date Posted: 2/15/2015 1:56 PM ET

Thanks again for your suggestions Sarah.  I appreciate the insights.  

Sorry to hear your not going to be able to post anymore, but at least you can still read the forums.