Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: Will someone start a challenge here?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/22/2015 9:19 PM ET

Last Edited on: 1/1/16 12:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
susank17 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/24/2015 3:42 PM ET

I could give it a shot, in the absence of the lovely lady that did it for years.  Would put it together after Christmas for approval.

I have English, Irish, European, and American Classics on my TBR shelf, along with some ancient Greek.

What's on anyone else's shelves?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/24/2015 4:16 PM ET

That would be wonderful Susan.

susank17 avatar
Date Posted: 12/28/2015 3:58 PM ET

There's a blog I recently discovered with a classics theme:

http://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.com/2015/12/back-to-classics-2016.html

I think it's mostly for other bloggers, which I am not.  But maybe this would be a good leaping off point for discussion.  Many of the standard categories have been used here before.

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966.

3.  A classic by a woman author

4.  A classic in translation.  Any book originally written published in a language other than your native language. Feel free to read the book in your language or the original language.

5.  A classic by a non-white author. Can be African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc.

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptable in this category. 

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable in this category also. 

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House, Main Street, The Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored. If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored.

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?

12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. It can be an anthology of stories by different authors, or all the stories can be by a single author. Children's stories are acceptable in this category also.

Thoughts?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 9:54 AM ET

Looks interesting.  I'd go for it.  Anyone else have ideas?

janete avatar
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 11:13 AM ET

I'm in, this looks great to me and will give me an opportunity to work on some TBRs. 

Thanks for doing this, Susan! I'm going to start putting my list together!

Janet

susank17 avatar
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 12:56 PM ET

I thought I'd add a wild card to replace any topic.  I know there are some genres that people just can't read. (Mine is horror, so no Stephen King for me.  Though Frankenstein was good.)

I'll clean it up and post the list thread tomorrow 12/30. 

Comments still welcome.