Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - LGBTQ LGBTQ

Topic: Someone Please Suggest a GOOD Lesbian Novel To Me

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
majorphilosopher avatar
Subject: Someone Please Suggest a GOOD Lesbian Novel To Me
Date Posted: 2/7/2010 9:52 PM ET

I need suggestions for amazing lesbian fiction.  I have read all Sarah Waters' books and they are incredibly written and I'm looking for lesbian novels that are on par. I've opened up lesbian books that were sooo bad it was painful to read farther than the first five pages. Please, please give me suggestions!!

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/7/2010 10:10 PM ET

I have always treasured my EARLY Rita Mae Brown books.   Venus Envy, Six of One and Southern Discomfort.   Lots of humor.

I also really appreciate the books by Nicola Griffith.  Slow River, Stay, and The Blue Place. 

And I found a book I want to order as soon as I have a credit or two:  An Emergence of Green by Katherine V. Forrest.  I am looking forward to reading this one.

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/7/2010 10:19 PM ET

I really liked Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge.  But I'm a SF geek.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2010 9:42 PM ET

I've only read Venus Envy and I liked that one.  Her Mrs. Murphy mystery series I think sorta introduced the topic eventually..actually I noticed it in one book and realized I'm missed a book before it so maybe that's why it took me by surprise.Venus Envy was funny though.

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/11/2010 1:07 AM ET

Have you looked at the list of Lambda Literary Awards?  The Lammy is awarded every year with a list of runners up.  Many are small press books, which rarely get posted.  But some are big names like Sarah Waters and Laurie R King.  The website is being revised.  And it was not easy to browse before.  But it always gives me names to search for.   Here is a link to the 2009 winners:

Lammy 2009

I also look at the Tiptree winners.   (SF/F with gender issues.  This award varies widely from year to year as the judges change every year.  It is not focused on LGBT, but on gender as a whole.  Which gets a very wide view, depending on that year's judges.)

Tiptree

imbri avatar
Subject: Book suggestion
Date Posted: 3/9/2010 12:00 PM ET

I am a big fan or Gerri Hill as well as Karin Kallmaker......But as far as suggesting a GOOD book I still need to know hat you are into, Mystery, Romance Etc.  Several of Gerri Hill's books are rustic outdoors settings including cabins, cotttages, camping but my favorite book by Gerri is Hunters Way about a homicide detective. Lots of great books out there just need to know what you like. You may also want to check out Bellabooks.com

Best Regards,

Bri

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2011 4:36 PM ET

Manda Scott is another great writer. Her Kellen Stewart series is one of my favourites - the writing is clear and tight, the plots believable, and the girl generally gets the girl.

ErinMc avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 4/4/2011 2:48 PM ET

Desire By Starlight by Radclyfee , wonderful and real story.

anartemistic avatar
Ariel -
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/12/2011 12:36 PM ET

Have you ever read anything by Nancy Garden? Annie on my Mind is a lesbian classic. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was so good and full of lesbian themes that my high school banned it, and it ranks close to the top on America's Most Challenged Books list each year.

citygrrl avatar
Date Posted: 6/8/2011 3:31 PM ET

I loved Battle Scars by Meghan O'Brien.  A gorgeous story with complex and enjoyable characters and a realistic story.

myrah avatar
Date Posted: 7/21/2011 3:24 PM ET

You could try The Hours by Michael Cunningham. It's pretty depressing, but it is good. Also a great movie!

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Lesbian Novels
Date Posted: 10/8/2011 11:25 PM ET

Out of Time by Paula Martinac - an unusual one about metaphysical connections with lesbians from the 1920s

Alma Rose by Edith Forbes - Local Midwest girl meets travelling trucker - about obsession and art

Last Edited on: 10/8/11 11:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/15/2012 2:02 AM ET

The IHOP Papers by Ali Liebgott is really brilliant, imo. It's a coming of age story: basically a 19 (?) year old woman moves to San Francisco to live with her community college philosophy professor (who she is mega in-love with) even though said professor is already in a polyamorous relationship with another woman and a man. It deals well with issues of class, addiction, relationships, and gender.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Lots of books to choose from
Date Posted: 2/27/2012 4:20 PM ET

I've got over 100 books for you to pick from from:  relationships to mystery, to romance, to fantasy.  If you have a specific type of book you like, let me know and I can give you more specific suggestions.

bellydancingtish avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Lesbian Reads
Date Posted: 4/1/2012 2:34 AM ET

How excited was I to finally find out that there was a forum here for lesbian books and suggestions. thanks for posting that question.

as far as genres go:

If you like mysteries with lots of sex, try Reese symanski series

I am a huge fan of Julia Watts. I am just finishing up Wedding Bell blues.

there is an awesome series about these undercover agents. the series is called the Elite operative Series and they are written by kim Baldwin and Xenia Alexiou

I love military type books. there is Calm before the Storm, My solider too, Dog tags

Radclyffe also writes a lesbian werewolf series. She writes as L.L. rand

hope those help. I am a avid reader and have tons of books

I wish I had a lesbian book club around here.

Peace and Hugs

Tish

Lizzee avatar
Subject: good lesbian novels
Date Posted: 5/22/2012 4:17 PM ET

If you just want good and don't care about new--The Well of Loneliness by Radcliffe Hall

The Bar Stories by Nisa Donnelly

Keep a Light on for Me, Jean Swallow

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, Jeanette Winterson (and anything else by her)\

Orlando, Virginia Woolf

Happy reading!

karalimes avatar
Date Posted: 6/2/2014 5:42 AM ET

I really liked Hood and Stir-Fry by Emma Donoghue, who is an excellent writer.  Hotel World by Ali Smith doesn't have much lesbian content but is quite an experience to read.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/30/2014 9:10 AM ET

I have never read the book but The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith is highly regarded. The book has an alternative title of Carol and some of the early editions have a pen name of Claire Morgan as author. The big feature of the book is the fact that it has a happy ending which was unusual at the time.

Christianswapper avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/1/2014 3:34 AM ET

Karin Kallmaker. Jeanette Winterson, Emma Donohue and Nancy Garden are my favorite Lesbian authors

Last Edited on: 10/1/14 3:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18 PM ET

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. It's an older novel, but quite good. It sent me through a myriad of feelings, both good and bad ones. In the end I wasn't disappointed with this read.

Annie on my Mind was a great novel, and I saw someone else suggested this too. I second this.

I also suggest Keeping you a Secret by Julie Anne Peters. I thought it was written quite well.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: "I Double Dare You!"
Date Posted: 3/27/2015 8:59 PM ET

ISBN-13: 978-1506183497     ISBN-10: 1506183492

A comical Lesbian romance. Meg doesn’t want to be a doormat like her mother was so she never stays the entire night. On a dare she seduces Mary; telling her that her name is Maggie. When Meg starts to fall in love, she runs to Minnesota where Mary follows her—in disguise. When they meet again, what happens? What is this double dare? We know that new love can be exciting, scary, and often quite hilarious!