Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: September HF Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: September HF Reads
Date Posted: 9/5/2022 10:08 AM ET

Phew!  I finally finishd Shogun by James Clavell.  Amazing book but it took me almost 2 months to read! I'll probably continue with his Asian saga, but they all seem to be almost 1200 pages each, so I'll need to pace myself!  :)

I started The Murder Room by PD James this morning, much lighter subject matter, if murder can be considered light....

CR

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/6/2022 7:46 AM ET

I have finished The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes (Daughter of Sherlock Holmes, Bk 1)  by  Leonard Goldberg  3 stars out of 5   It was good perhaps not as good as some the other Sherlock Holmes books on the market today. Very much a fan fiction Sherlock Holmes. But I like Sherlock Holmes books. It was good to visit with Dr John Watson and his son Doctor John Watson. If you like Sherlock Holmes books you will most likely enjoy this one.

Last Edited on: 9/6/22 7:46 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/7/2022 1:07 PM ET

Hi, guys!  No change for me.  Still reading Sacajawea but according to my Kindle, I have less than 6 hours to go, so I'm hoping to finish it this week.  

Carolyn - Congrats on finish Shogun.  Guess you were reading a beast of a book too.  Sacajawea is huge!  While I have your ear -- are you planning on putting together a challenge for 2023?  Not that it's time yet, just wanted to put a bug in your ear.  I so love the challenges!  This year I might just make it and hit ALL of the categories! The first time in many years! 

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/8/2022 2:56 PM ET

Shelley - Yes!  I plan on creating a new challenge :)  Congrats on your progress with this year's challenge!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/10/2022 2:22 PM ET

After a month away from historical fiction I read Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt situated in England about a family hunted as witches. They were persecuted not for so much as being witches but as being of "the old Catholic faith."   Fascinating tale that I quite enjoyed. The author has written a number of other books but I've not read her work previously.  Has anyone else and if so, what have you read and what did you think?

Last Edited on: 9/16/22 7:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 7
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2022 6:35 AM ET

I finished the War Nurse by Tracey Enerson Wood. Set it WWI France.  It was good but nothing unique about the book. The discussion of Spanish Flu was interesting towards the end of the book.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/20/2022 8:23 AM ET

I finished Code Girls by Liza Mundy. Nonfiction   It discusses how government hired college women to break code during war.

Kind of boring. To summarize. Hired college women, at end of war most went back to their old lives.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2022 12:45 PM ET

Hello!  I finally finished up Sacajawea last week.  Whew.  The writing style seemed  a little strange. Almost amatureish in a way? Not quite sure how to describe it.  The story was fascinating though. If only it could be ascertained with certainty what exactly happened to Sacajawea after the Lewis & Clark Expedition. 

I started The House of Fortunte, by Jesse Burton, which is the follow up to The Miniaturist, which I read a few years ago. 

Carolyn - Great news!  I'm already looking forward to next year's challenge! 

R E K - The only book I've read by Mary Sharatt, that I can recall, is Daughters of the Witching Hill, which I remember enjoying too.

Last Edited on: 9/20/22 12:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/22/2022 10:28 AM ET

Thanks for the feedback, Shelley.  I think I will look for more books by Mary Sharatt.  Beginning Beneath a Marble Sky about a man who experienced WWII in Italy.  Apparently there are few books written about WWII Italy.  Can't comment yet as I've only completed two chapters!  Finished it and enjoyed it.  Thought it dragged a little in spots.  The author could have condensed some areas and I find it hard to believe that the man he interviewed remembered so much detail.  Nevertheless it is well worth reading to view WWII through the eyes of an Italian who lived through it.  All in all it is a good read and well worth it.

Last Edited on: 9/25/22 9:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2022 1:16 PM ET

I started Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier today.  It was recommended to me by my cousin.