Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: September HF Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: September HF Reads
Date Posted: 9/4/2021 12:08 PM ET

I started Night Over Water by Ken Follett. It's my first foray into his WWII novels.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/7/2021 8:58 PM ET

Began Lamentation (Matthew Shardlake, Bk 6) by C. J. Sansom, a biggie!

Last Edited on: 9/7/21 8:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/8/2021 10:00 AM ET

REK - I love Sansom's writing! Enjoy!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/10/2021 11:50 AM ET

Just finished Lamentation.  What a marvelous read!  I rated it 5 stars. Love the author's explanation of his historical research.  Which he used and why and what the weaknesses he felt he found.  Well done.  I really must get back to this author's work.

Last Edited on: 9/10/21 5:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/11/2021 7:27 PM ET

I finished Night Over Water. I was slightly bewildered by it, as it started (what I thought) was going in one direction and then kind of jumped the rails by the end. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it, either.

Anywsy, I started Garment of Shadows by Laurie R King, another installment in her Russell/Holmes series.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2021 7:36 AM ET

I am reading a Historical mystery set in 1924 England, Nobody's Sweethear Now by Maggie Robinson. Love the time period and nice writing style.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/13/2021 10:06 PM ET

Starting The Rose Code: A Novel by Kate Quinn.  Put on my WL, after which I thought I should check the library.  They had it so I ordered it!

Last Edited on: 9/14/21 7:50 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/15/2021 7:43 PM ET

I just finished a wonderful book  Mother R: Eleanor Roosevelt's Untold Story by Elliot Roosevet.  The biography is authored by her son Elliot. The book takes place after FDR's death in April 1945 until her death in 1962. Fascinating story on how she help shape the United Natations. I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys reading about Eleanor Roosevelt. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/17/2021 12:11 PM ET

Finishing The Rose Code by Kate Quinn, 4.5 stars.  I really enjoy this author and this book is another wonderful offering the her research and her imagination.  The characters are fascinating from Mab, Beth and Osla to the men they work with or fall in love with.  It's wartime, yes, so there is bombing, death and stress.  Enjoyed it very much and know if you pick it up not everything turns out happily.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/18/2021 6:21 AM ET

I am enjoying a good Historical mystery The Indigo Ghosts by Alys Clare. Set in 1604 England.  Book 3 in the series. Very good series.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2021 4:26 PM ET

Wow!  Can't believe I haven't checked in yet this month.  Not that I have anything exciting to report.  I have been very derailed by reading mostly non-fiction.  Anyway, I am just about through listening to St. Peter's Fair by Ellis Peters.  Loving Brother Cadfael!  I'm about halfway through The Devil in the Marshalsea.  I put it down for a couple of weeks but picked it up again last night. Hopefully I will finish both soon.  

Carolyn - So the Follett book just confused you.  LOL!  Is it as big of a tome as his other books?  I've read two, and I have another on myself I can't bring myself to read because it's just. so. huge.  LOL!  

Alice - Love me some Eleanor Roosevelt!  She was such an amazing and inspiring person.  If you've never watched it, the Ken Burns documentary "The Roosevelts" is very good, focusing on all of the Big 3 Roosevelts - Teddy, Franklin and Eleanor.  It's funny how such a political giant like the Roosevelt family has completely fallen off the map.  Guess the younger generations just figured all those shoes were just too big to fill.  

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/21/2021 9:19 AM ET

I started The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett this morning.

Shelley - I loved his Kingsbridge series.  This was my first foray into his WWII books.  It wasn't that long of a book (it was in the 500+ page range), and it started out really strong, it started to drag a bit by the middle, and then the end was just so off the rails. LOL.  I don't think I would recommend it.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/23/2021 6:59 AM ET

I am traveling back in time to 1876 Newport, RI.  I am reading The Social Graces by Renee Rosen. Book is about Alva Vanderbilt and Caroline Astor.

Yes I have many stories about these two but always enjoy the time period.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/23/2021 3:02 PM ET

Beginning The Black Ascot by Charles Todd.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2021 11:44 AM ET

I finished The Man from St. Petersburg and really liked it! Definitely kept me interested.

I'm now starting The Terror by Dan Simmons. I never watched the tv show it was based on. 

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/27/2021 1:37 PM ET

Well, big news from me, I finished two books this weekend.  Not bragging, LOL!, they were a long time coming! I finished reading The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson, and I finished listening to St. Peter's Fair, by Ellis Peters. I enjoyed both, but was partial to the Brother Cadfael book.  The narration is excellent! 

I'm going to catch up on some podcasts before starting a new audio book, but I believe I will start reading The Family by Mario Puzo this evening, which I am using for the "Read a Family Saga" category of the 2021 HF Challenge.  

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2021 9:56 PM ET

Finished The Black Ascot.  Rutledge, reviewing at an old case, catches his man ten years afer the murder was committed, freeing a man believed to have  been responsible.  That man had been on the run for years to avoid the authorities.  I was not able to untangle events to discover the murderer so had to wait for Rutledge to do it for me.

Read the historical called Soiled Doves: Prostitution in the Early West (Women of the West) by Anne Seagraves who wrote numerous books about women of that period.  Quite interesting with lots of high quality photos of sefolveral of the more outstanding women who chose this route including Clamity Jane in a gown and in her western dress.  

Finished To Die but Once (Maisie Dobbs, Bk 14) by Jacqueline Winspear today.  Enjoyed the author's explanation of many characters who were based on members of her family.  Nice followup.

Last Edited on: 10/1/21 11:46 AM ET - Total times edited: 5