Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Gardening

Topic: seed catalogs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: seed catalogs
Date Posted: 12/30/2012 7:14 PM ET

Last year I ordered seeds from one catalog (Pine Tree Garden Seeds) who I like alot because they offer smaller packets at reasonable prices and I' had good luck with their seeds. Well this year I'm getting catalogs from many companies so I guess my name and address are made available. I'll probably still order from Pine Tree but it bothers me a bit that they sold my name. Fortunately, many of the catalogs are a wealth of information.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/7/2013 5:47 PM ET

I hate that too.  I ordered from Seed Saver's Exchange last year, and have been perusing their catalog now for a few days.  Their problem is they send me too many emails, but at least they didn't sell my info.

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2013 7:29 PM ET

Don't be upset with them for sharing your name and address with other seed companies.  I have received some of the most interesting catalogs with the best gardening info in them this year because the companies share customer addresses. 

I usually order on line from the discount companies like Generic seeds.com or ebay has a company with lots of unusual and usual seeds offered all for .99 a packet.  I have been ordering like crazy.  Still the best info comes from those catalogs.  Another place on line is localharvest .com.   I have been having great luck with the growers on that site.  Best flower seeds I have ever ordered.

cyndij avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2013 9:27 PM ET

Since the seed catalog subject  has come up, I'll plug my website which is devoted to listing every mail-order seed and plant company I can find. There's something over 2000 of them by now. Cyndi's Catalog of Garden Catalogs:  http://www.gardenlist.com

And I'm always interested in hearing about new ones.

Generic Profile avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/13/2013 12:59 AM ET

Thanks Cyndi, I bookmarked your website. I'm sure I will find it very useful and your garden looks terrific.   Linda

Also, thanks Pamela, I have gotten some good catalogs so I'm really not too upset about it. I think I get regular newsletters from localharvest too.

Last Edited on: 1/13/13 1:04 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/19/2013 4:29 PM ET

Cool site, Cyndi.  I will be a regular.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/23/2013 9:12 AM ET

Thanks, Cyndi!!