Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Crafting

Topic: Sealer Question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Sealer Question
Date Posted: 2/22/2014 10:40 PM ET

Hi everyone :) I recently bought a wooden seasonal spring sign at Target. I decorated the sign with some stickers to make it more personalized. Some of the stickers are beginning to peel off and I was wondering if there is anything I can get that would prevent this. I have heard of a product called Modge Podge. At one time I had had the idea of painting one of those heart shaped frames from Michael's and then personalizing with a message (printed out) and stickers. I called MP and they told me that their product would not work for this. I THINK it was because of the paper (note) part but didn't remember if it would work just to seal stickers. The spring sign does have pre painted writing on it and a design that I also don't want to get ruined. I think I'm trying to "laminate" wood if that makes any sense! I appreciate any idea and enjoy the rest of your weekend. ETA: In case any of you are wondering and this might be helpful, I did email Mod Podge and they told me because there products are water based they would not work for this purpose. If any of you know anything that would, please let me know. Thanks so much,

Last Edited on: 2/24/14 9:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2014 7:05 PM ET

I would check at Lowe's or Home Depot for an all weather varnish.  Seems like you could ModPodge the stickers, then varnish over them.

LesleyH avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2014 7:31 PM ET

Mod Podge definitely will not work for this, as it is not made to be waterproof.  I would try a deck sealer, which is made for wood, is weather proof, and you can probably find easily at a home improvement store.  Good luck!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2014 10:25 PM ET

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. :)