Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Freethinkers, Atheism, Agnosticism

Topic: Recommendations for Pagan/Wicca themed fiction?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rainfall avatar
Subject: Recommendations for Pagan/Wicca themed fiction?
Date Posted: 5/20/2010 11:32 AM ET

I'd love to try out some fiction books with a Pagan or Wiccan theme. I read Nora Roberts' Three Sisters Island trilogy and really enjoyed it. I also have Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman on my TBR pile for May. Any other recommendations?

TwoBooklovers avatar
Date Posted: 5/21/2010 11:09 AM ET

I would suggest: 'Heart of a Witch" by Judith Hawkes.  It is all about Wiccans, Witches and Warlords, but  a bit spooky.

There is also a fantasy cycle out there by Kate Forsythe, called the Witches of Eilean (not certain I spelled that right). 

Also Alice Hoffman wrote another book about witches called 'Probable Future'.  I really loved it.

rainfall avatar
Date Posted: 5/22/2010 12:35 AM ET

Thank you for the recommendations, Jerry! I just finished Practical Magic and will put Probable Future on my RL now. I actually have Heart of a Witch on my RL, but I'd forgotten all about it until I went to add it (lol). I'll have to tag that one so I remember to grab it. Oh, and I'm starting The Witches of Eileanan tonight! I'd picked it up at the library after hearing it mentioned in a forum here somewhere, but I've been putting it off because the description on the back doesn't sound appealing. But the reviews seem good, and you just mentioned it, so I'm going to give it a go! :) Thanks again!!

Can anyone think of others? Thanks so much!

technomage avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2010 1:15 PM ET

Merecedes Lackey did a trio of mysteries with a witch as the lead character, set in modern America. They have recently been collected in one volume, ISBN 9780739477038 but are all available separately.

A snippet on the series from wikipedia:

"The main character, Diana Tregarde, is an American witch, practicing a fantasy version of Wicca; by virtue of her position as a "Guardian" Diana has access to more magical power than many and she is required to give her help when someone asks it of her. Her magical abilities do not pay the bills, however, and so Diana makes her living by writing romance novels. In the stories, Diana must protect others from angry deities, vampires and a sorceress who intends to remain eternally young.

• Burning Water (1989)
  • Children of the Night (1990)
  • Jinx High (1991)"
sly-mold avatar
Date Posted: 3/5/2011 2:44 PM ET

Omega - Stewart Farrar.  ISBN 0812908619 According to the back of the book, Stewart Farrar is a practicing witch. I enjoyed it immensly and did not feel bludgeoned by his pro-pagan agenda largely because it is very well written. I feel it is much more entertaining and convincing than The Illuminati by Larry Burkett, which had me rooting for the bad guys when I started to feel bludgeoned by his pro-Christian agenda. Better plot, better writing, better character developement.

brightstar avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2011 3:47 PM ET

I have some pagan-themed novels on my book shelf just now:

On Silver Wings

The Heart of the Fire by Cerridwen Fallingstar

The Celtic Heart...And a couple of other related books that might be of interest.  :)

It might not be exactly what you're looking for but I can recommend a book that I recently re-read "Confessions of a Pagan Nun".  It's a bit more historical fiction an I find it a -very- special book personally.  

Some of my favorite Pagan (or pagan-ish) themed books (off the top of my head!) are by Tom Robbins, Sheri Tepper, Susan Cooper, Star Hawk (Fifth Sacred Thing), Katherine Kurtz (Lammas Night in particular), John Crowley (Little, Big), Kim Antieau, Gael Baudino, Emma Bull, Elizabeth Cunningham, Rosemary Edgehill's Bast Mysteries series. 

Last Edited on: 4/28/11 3:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/4/2011 12:24 PM ET

S.M. Stirling's "Dies the Fire" has main characters who are Wiccan and it does actually have bearing on them as characters.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2011 8:53 PM ET

Anything by Cate Tiernan. She has a complete series called "Sweep" and a complete series called "Balefire".  She is currently working an Immortal series but I don't know if that focus's on paganism.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2011 2:43 PM ET

This appears to be int he wrong category.

sly-mold avatar
Date Posted: 8/4/2011 12:00 AM ET

There  doesn't seem to be a right category for this.  But for lack of a better place for it, this will do just fine for now.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/3/2012 1:23 AM ET

Try "Masters of Solitude" by Godwin (or maybe Goodwin)

TwoBooklovers avatar
Date Posted: 7/3/2012 8:37 AM ET

Katherine Howe: The Psychic Book of Deliverance Dane.

A modern-day witch story with historical tidbits and characters from the Salem Witch trials. 

Really good read, highly recommend.

Heloise avatar
Date Posted: 7/3/2012 9:21 AM ET

A Discovery of Witches - it has witches, vampires and daemons.  But it does talk about wicca a bit.  Anyway, I liked the book:)