Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - The Writers' Forum The Writers' Forum

Topic: Recommend to me...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Recommend to me...
Date Posted: 11/10/2014 7:19 PM ET

I'm looking for some good books on being a better writer.  Something about plot writing and writing a climax would be great.  Any books on how to edit and freshen up the story would be good too. Maybe something about how to add that certain something that makes people not want to stop turning pages.  If you know of any books that might be useful for that, I'd love to know what they are.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and thank you for offering me some useful titles.

xengab avatar
Date Posted: 11/12/2014 1:51 PM ET

Stephen Kings On writing is a good book.

There are many online course and advice on how to edit your own work, so that might be something you can google and find.

BUT making people not want to stop reading your work, sorry that can't be taught. You just have to keep on writing and finding your own voice and style.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/18/2014 12:04 PM ET

Hi Tabatha,

Here are two of the best books I have found useful on improving my fiction writing. 

How to Fix Your Novel by Steve Alcorn:

Lists many writing techniques and tips . I refer to this book often when writing. His idea of the 9 point story structure is one example. The 9 point structure he recommends: Act I:Hook, Backstory, Trigger.  Act II: Crisis, Struggle, Epiphany, and Act III: Plan, Climax, Ending.

Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain:

Has many instructions but the best are : Motivation and Reaction units and Scene and Sequel.

If you're looking for an inexpensive online writing course try:

https://www.ed2go.com/