Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Religion & Spirituality

Topic: Q about Mennonite women

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Q about Mennonite women
Date Posted: 6/3/2014 2:44 PM ET

I mean no disrespect with this question, I'm just curious.

There are many Amish and Mennonite families moving to Iowa. The Amish, both genders, are obvious in their clothing, but Mennonite men look like anyone else whilst the women wear a headdress and dresses that look as if all Mennonite women use the same pattern. It's more than just modest clothing.

My question is two fold: 1. why do the men choose to blend in? and 2. Why are the women meant to stand out from the general population?

Again, I mean no criticism or disrespect.

nx74defiant avatar
Date Posted: 6/3/2014 7:22 PM ET

Well for women they believe God commanded that a woman should not wear a man’s garment .—De 22:5.

So the women wear dresses, no jeans or pants. And the dresses have to be modest. That
eliminates a lot of styles most women wear.

” (1Co 11:3) Paul wrote points out that a head covering is “a sign of authority” that the woman should wear in acknowledging the headship of the man, submitting herself to proper theocratic authority, when she is praying or is prophesying in the congregation.—1Co 11:3-6,

So the women wear a bonnet.

The rules for men are simple. I would think they would not approve of immodest dress for men. But jeans, normal shirt would probably be fine. I doubt you see the men in man-shorts or overly exposed chest.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/4/2014 1:41 PM ET

It's the sameness of the Mennonite women's dresses that aroused my curiosity.  They all look cut from the same pattern. Even the Amish women have greater variation in their dress designs although those are home-sewn as well.

nx74defiant avatar
Date Posted: 6/6/2014 6:53 PM ET

The ones I've seen around southern Minnesota must be a different group. They don't all look cut from the same pattern.