Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - eBook readers eBook readers

Topic: PBS new membership charges --- not staying

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 11:27 AM ET

I'll have to try that.  I just find an eink screen easier to read on so I can't imagine the Nook HD being my main ereader.

DuskyRose avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 12:07 PM ET

Sarah - you should try putting a matte (anti-glare) screen protector on your Nook HD. It will take away the glare and you won't notice finger prints, either. It could make a world of difference to your reading experience.

I have anti-glare screens on all my tablets. (Not the eInk machines, though.) Makes a huge difference. Just make sure to get anti-glare and not just a regular protector.

But be aware that it will tend to dull the screen down a bit. The one on my Ipad looks a bit 'crystialized', but it works wonders. I don't really notice it anymore, and love the way I don't feel like I'm looking up my nose as I read. ; )

Also, I have a Kindle Voyage, and love it. I had a problem with the fonts on the Paperwhite looking blue and a bit transparent with the light on. No problems here, and the font is a lot finer. It handles more files (since I had the early Paperwhites with less storage space.) For me, well worth the money. 

But... I wouldn't get it for page turn buttons. They're turned off on mine, but they're basically just flat lines on the sides that you press to turn the page. You can't feel them. To me, they're not really 'buttons' but just another spot to touch and turn the page.

Last Edited on: 2/8/15 12:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 4:11 PM ET

I dislike having to touch the screen to turn pages but since I won't go with a Kindle and I'm not really enamored of B&N anymore, guess I'll have to suck it up and get used to it.  I've nearly worn off the page turn buttons on my Sony.  Even though it's a touchscreen, I love that I don't have to actually touch the screen to turn the page.

I just can't get the right swipe to turn the page correctly or my fingers rest on the screen which makes it turn when I don't want it to or whatever way I want to swipe makes the page turn backwards.  Sometimes the Nook will let me just tap the screen to turn pages but mostly it doesn't like that and I also seem to want to tap the wrong side of the screen to go forward in the book.

It's really just me and not being able to communicate well with any touchscreen I've tried.  I eventually want to chuck the whole device at the wall because it won't do what I think it should do.  That's why I'm holding on to the Sony until I wear out the page turn buttons completely.

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 6:32 PM ET

You might be glad to know that with the Kobo you don't have to swipe. You can just tap.

Speaking of Amazon...OMG! They deleted Evangeline Anderson's latest book, Enslaved, for no reason. Oh sure a canned notification that it violated something or other....complete BS! I am so annoyed on her behalf. I already bought it from Amazon, but that may well be the last time I buy a book from them. I am definitely going to look at other sites when I want to buy an ebook!

DuskyRose avatar
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 9:02 PM ET

Speaking of Amazon...OMG! They deleted Evangeline Anderson's latest book, Enslaved, for no reason. Oh sure a canned notification that it violated something or other....complete BS!

All the book sites have TOS, and if they get complaints that a book violates something or it hits a red-flag then they have to pull it. Hopefully they can get a real human to look over it if it was pulled automatically, and sort out the problem and get it back up soon. With the amount of code they have to keep up with, and all the new books coming in and out, I wouldn't be surprised some slip through weird cracks.

You should be able to get a refund, if you haven't already. 

What did they say was the problem?

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 9:49 PM ET

I know sometimes it's the cover that they object to.  Or, someone complains about the content.  Jan Springer just went thru that with them.  Got her rights back to a bunch of her Ellora's Cave back titles.  Was working on re-doing the covers to reissue them and someone complained about the content of one of the books.  A book that'd been on Amazon for years already from EC!

She got it resolved in a day or so and all the books were back up for pre-sale.

When Amazon pulls the book, does that pull it off your Kindle as well?

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 2/9/2015 6:50 AM ET

Amazon didn't notify me, a buyer of the book, of any problem. It is still in my account. But the entry does not go to the product page.

This is book 14 in the series! I believe some a-hole complained for some unknown reason. The system should not work like that! To pull a book from an author with 40 some titles, with no warning? That is crazy.

Hopefully she can get it resolved and back on the site today. To make her re-up the book with a new ASIN would be pathetic.

If they want to pull books with objectionable content, they need to pull about a million more, including Acheron and Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon!

DuskyRose avatar
Date Posted: 2/9/2015 11:04 AM ET

When Amazon pulls the book, does that pull it off your Kindle as well?

No, they shouldn't. They did once, years ago, when someone posted a book that didn't belong to them, and once they were notified they pulled the book from Kindles and issued a refund. People were pissed. So they decided not to do that again in case of copyright violations.

Which puts them a bit in the middle, since they can't legally sell books where the poster doesn't own the copyright, but also don't want to piss off their customers by pulling books off of devices. So usually it'll disappear and the book can't be downloaded again, but it'll stay on the device. 

This is book 14 in the series! I believe some a-hole complained for some unknown reason. The system should not work like that! To pull a book from an author with 40 some titles, with no warning? That is crazy.

Amazon is just the middleman, and by law has to protect rightful copyright holders or they will be sued. So sometimes thing fall in the gaps, and they seem to be pretty quick to fix things, but they can't have things up for sale once a complaint is issued until they can look into it.

I know Ellora's Cave has been in a lot of trouble this year, and authors are leaving. There's been some confusion by some author's as to when/if they can get their copyrights back. The author themselves have no right to publish a book if they've sold the copyright, or if it's still under contract. There were some authors posting their books they didn't have the legal right to post.

And other authors didn't understand that although they had the copyright back for the book itself, they never owned the cover. The cover art is usually owned by the publisher who commissioned and paid for it. Some authors I've seen talk about using their old cover art and don't understand why they can't.

So, hopefully, it's not an issue with cover or copyright, and then Amazon can put it back up pretty quickly. But if it's copyright issue, then it may take them a bit to get it sorted out. 

Page: