Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: October 2023 Health and Fitness

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: All done
Date Posted: 10/12/2023 12:52 PM ET

Final pre op visit done.

hope it doesn't cost too much!

one more appointment today at stretch zone, then I'm on to speed cleaning the house.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/13/2023 4:55 PM ET

Hope everything works out for you. Have a good weekend.

Todays weight= 250.1

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/14/2023 1:43 PM ET

Todays weight 249. Have a good weekend

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Update
Date Posted: 10/17/2023 12:26 PM ET

I had a blast this weekend. I drove to Omaha on Friday and went out for dinner with my cousin that night. They gave me so much food that I took the leftovers to my hotel room and had them for lunch the next day. That day was also the first day of the low fiber diet which continued through yesterday as the start of the colonoscopy prep. So the scale was down today... 230.0.

Today is clear liquid only and this afternoon I start drinking the nasty stuff. Tomorrow the colonoscopy will be over! Hurray!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/17/2023 7:51 PM ET

Glad you had such a nice time. Hope everything goes well when you have the colonoscopy.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/18/2023 5:09 PM ET

Well, I arrived in Tucson today to spend a week with Dad. My diet has taken a nosedive with the bacon cheeseburger we had for lunch.  So I expect to gain some weight but also expect I'll be able to take it off again as before. I kinda hate losing progress but its unavoidable.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Waiting…
Date Posted: 10/19/2023 7:42 AM ET

So now I wait for results.

They did find and remove two polyps, so I have to wait for lab results on those. I also was complimented on my prep.

My daughter and I went on an errand run after that... church to pick up hymnal for me, HyVee for me to mail a book (and I bought snacks, since I was still hungry!), Village Inn for food, since it was free pie day, and then the Iowa City public library for her to get a library card and me to return overdue library books, and both of us to check out books.

Once we got home, I was hungry again, so I ate my pie, since we took that to go, and then I took a nap. Or so I thought. I think I slept for twelve hours! Now it is time to get caught up!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/19/2023 12:52 PM ET

Hope everything shows normal for you.

There's a Village Inn here too. We used to go on Wed. too for free pie day. Haven't been since Bob passed. But I rarely go out to eat anymore. Not comfortable going alone.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Weird
Date Posted: 10/20/2023 9:18 AM ET

I posted yesterday but must not have hit submit?

I did lose about 3 pounds with the whole colonoscopy thing, so I finally got under 230. I was up a little today - 228.8, but I ate a lot more than usual. I went to mom's while my car was being fixed, and she fed me a microwave entree, and then took me to lunch. When I finally got home (car took 6 hours!) I did eat a bowl of soup and a cookie.

A friend offered me tickets to a hockey game so I went and she bought a big popcorn to share... just too tempting!

today my goal is to clean up my room, which might be a lot of physical activity.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2023 9:20 AM ET

You're doing really well. I'm 250.1 today so I'm still yo-yo-ing a bit. But really trying to get my numbers down.

I took a bunch of photo's down from the walls yesterday (my late husband or of the 2 of us). I felt it was time. I still have our wedding photo sitting on the table by the computer and I have his last happy photo on my screen saver, but all  the rest have been put away. It's been 26 months since he passed and although I'll always love him, having all those photos around wasn't letting me move on as well as I need to be doing. At some point I will most likely also put up the wedding photo, but not just yet for that one.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Good for you!
Date Posted: 10/21/2023 9:37 AM ET

Vicki, I know that had to be hard. Grief is such a weird process, and if does go in stages. I'm glad you were able to see a next step and take it.

I have a bit of a stuffy nose today and I can't go to the knee replacement sick! But it's ok, I had a flu shot yesterday and didn't take my allergy meds, so I'm sure the cause is one of those.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 10/21/2023 10:33 AM ET

We never had photos out, neither family nor us. Not sure why but we just never got into photos.  However, a year or so ago I started to put up photos. At first a couple of pictures of Sue and I.  This year added a nice picture of Sue and some of Meggie.  There aren't many places to set picture frames in my house and not much open wall space what with windows and beams.  But I was able to put up those pictures so I could see her as she was when healthy and the two of us together. 

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/22/2023 9:08 AM ET

I'm at peace over taking the photo's down. I replaced most with pictures of my son & daughter-in-law from their weddings ( they had 2, an American one and a Philippine one). So there are lots of happy photo's to look at, bright with a future ahead of them. I also did a section of beach scenes that I find restful to look at and they're on the far wall, across from my bed, where I can see them if laying in bed reading. I still have things I need to still box up of Bob's things that I'll never have a use for. Specific tools and such. I'll get those boxed up soon and donate them to our local thrift shop. But that'll be in a week or so.

Teri, I've always been big on family photo's and was always taking photo's. And I can't stand a bare, empty wall so I've always hung photo's I take. I can't imagine not having family photo's around me. It's like a silent hug when I look at them. But I know not everyone feels the same way, and that's ok. I think in a way, having all my photo's keeps me from feeling so alone all the time. I have no family living in Florida, so it does get lonely, especially the holidays.

Margaret, hope it's just allergies bothering you. If you have pressure in your cheekbones or behind your eyes, it's probably allergies. That's how I can usually tell for myself. Feel better soon.

As of this morning I'm 250.2, which is 2.5 lbs. less than last Sunday. So even with the little yo-yo-ing, I still had a decent loss for the week.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 10/22/2023 10:58 AM ET

Vicki, well, you wouldn't know this but both Sue and I had rocky family histories so we didn't want any of their pictures up, and as I said there really wasn't any place for pictures or plants either.  After Mom passed in 2015,  my family and I were able to reconnect.  Even now, 5 years after Sue's passing my in-laws keep in touch with me. But my Dad is my priority now.

No dieting going on here in Tucson. Not even thinking about what the scales will tell me after I get home but I am looking forward to getting back on track.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/23/2023 7:22 AM ET

I can understand that Teri, and I'm sorry if what I wrote upset you. That wasn't my intention. I was just explaining my personal feelings as it related to me.

This morning I'm 248 lbs. Let the numbers keep coming down.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 10/23/2023 9:55 AM ET

Oh, no, Vicki! You didn't upset me at all! Don't think that!  Mostly we didn't put out pictures because there's no place to set them or hang them. 

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Prepping
Date Posted: 10/24/2023 12:58 AM ET

Ok, after two long sessions at the dealer and about $1800, the car is ready for winter (it just passed 100,000 miles, so a lot of stuff. Plus brakes, plus fixing a leak that has been there for months.)

the last thing it needs before surgery is a full tank of gas.

now to clean up my bedroom so I can get a walker through it.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/24/2023 8:48 AM ET

Glad I didn't upset you Teri. Margaret, ouch on the car repairs. I'd hate having to worry about a huge car repair right now. But you have it done now and hopefully there'll be no more for a good long time.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/26/2023 6:49 AM ET

I'm yo-yo-ing again. I'm 250.1 this morning. My body just doesn't want to let go of the 250's. But I'm determined it will.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 10/26/2023 9:28 AM ET

I'm back home from a week in Tucson visiting my Dad.  Amazingly, I only gained 2 pounds!  The way I was eating, I expected to have gained 5-6 pounds. It must be all the walking, between daily walks with Dad to mad dashes the length of the Atlanta airport. As a rule, though, we ate moderately. We dined out twice, one a huge burger at Hustle Bustle and the second time a great Mexican restaurant, Taco Giro. I ordered pizza one night but they didn't go overboard with toppings on a very thin crust.  I took my BP this morning and it was quite a bit higher than before I left. I expect it to go back down now that I'm home.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/27/2023 8:22 AM ET

Glad you enjoyed your time away with your dad. I know how special that can be. Hope your BP gets back to normal though now. Since you're home now you'll go back to your normal eating so that should help.

I'm 249 this morning. The yo-yo-ing gets tiring but for now it's going in the right direction. Have a good weekend.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/29/2023 8:24 AM ET

I'm up 1.2 lbs. for the start of the new week, which isn't surprising since I didn't really watch what I was eating yesterday. But today starts a new week and hopefully next Sunday I'll see a good decrease. The next 2 weeks I'm going to be busy decluttering my apt., and doing a major clean as my son and daughter in law will be coming for a visit just before Thanksgiving. I haven't seen my son other than by phone or skype in 12 years and it'll be my first time actually meeting my daughter in law, so I want everything to be looking good for their visit. Thankfully they're moving to the states ( they live in the Philippines) and will be making their home about 400 miles away, so I'll be able to see them at least once a year here on out. But with the major decluttering and cleaning, I'll be moving a lot more and eating a lot less, so we'll see what the scale shows.

Have a good week everyone.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Weight?
Date Posted: 10/29/2023 9:04 PM ET

Well, I weighed today for the first time since 2 days before surgery, and it said up 10 pounds!

that can't be fat, though, as I struggle to eat with the expected appetite lost after surgery. So I checked, and the knee parts they insert are supposed to weigh about 0.6 pounds more than the parts they replace. Well, I knew me knee and leg are really swollen... wow!

I've been told that the peak of swelling is today or tomorrow, so apparently I'm in for a bunch of peeing! And hopefully that will wash away the pain too!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/31/2023 8:48 AM ET

Don't worry too much about it Margaret, I'm sure you'll lose it as the swelling continues to go down. Hope you're not in too much pain from the surgery.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: November
Date Posted: 11/2/2023 6:15 AM ET

Join Vicki and me here.

Page: