Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: November HF reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: November HF reads
Date Posted: 11/3/2021 11:02 AM ET

Let's discuss what HF books we are reading.

Right now I am reading Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens by Andrea Penrose set in early 1800s London. Very well written series. One of my favorites.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/7/2021 6:47 AM ET

I am reading Murder at the FitzWilliam by Jim Eldridge set in 1894 England.Lots of good discussion of Egyptian artifacts, good characters and mystery.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2021 11:21 AM ET

I am reading Devices and Desires by PD James.  I've been (veeeerrrrryyyy) slowly reading this series for a number  of years, and I think I am going to just knock out the rest of the books for the rest of this year.

Last Edited on: 11/8/21 11:21 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/10/2021 2:20 PM ET

Hi, guys!  I am really being a poor reader.  Well, poor HF reader I should say.  I've been distracted by podcasts and non-fiction.  I am still reading The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham, which should've taken a few evenings to read. I'm enjoying it but . . . well, non-fiction has been what I've been gravitating to.  I haven't listened to my audio book in weeks A Column of Fire by Ken Follett, which, again, I am also enjoying, but have been obsessed with catching up on some of my many podcasts.  Soooo.  There you have it! 

I really should be more diligent as the end of the year is fast approaching, and while I will do better with the number of books I read this year than last year, I have not completed all of the HF Challenge 2021 categories, which makes me sad. 

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/12/2021 10:43 AM ET

Back to report I finished The Painted Veil, so I can cross another category in the HF 2021 Challenge off my list.  Onto Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayard to fufill another challenge category.  

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/13/2021 5:18 PM ET

Am reading The Artist's Wife which I obtained in a group special.  Interesting book so far.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/14/2021 8:20 AM ET

I am reading The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan set during WWII in England. Deals with challenges of citizens getting food due to rationing. Very good

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/20/2021 8:33 AM ET

I am reading reading The Coming of the Wolf by Elizabeth Chadwick. She is one of my favorite Historical Fiction authors. So beautifully written and reseached. It is a treat reading her books.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2021 2:27 PM ET

I’m halfway through The Queen’s Gambit. I haven’t watched the show yet, but the book is really great.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2021 9:54 AM ET

Hi Carolyn:  Read The Queen's Gambit and quite enjoyed it.  Glad you are having the same experience.  I've been working on notes about The Artist's Wife.  Alma Schlinder Mahler was a fascinating woman drawn both to her art and to other artists, particularly men.  A composer herself, her talent languished after her marriage to Gustav Mahler, who required that she cease composing as a condition to their marriage.  Perhaps he feared she would be competing with him!   Anyway after his death, she began composing again.  She proably composed at least 50 pieces but only several were published and survive today.  Called the most beautiful woman in Vienna, she had liasons with several male artists and remarried.  

Last Edited on: 11/24/21 8:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
kgold avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2021 7:40 PM ET

I am reading reading The Coming of the Wolf by Elizabeth Chadwick. She is one of my favorite Historical Fiction authors. So beautifully written and researched. It is a treat reading her books.

Alice, I was soooo bummed I wasn't able to take this from the WL box!   I missed it by two turns! :)

I am the next in line for FIFO, though, so hopefully I will get it soon!

I just finished the latest Laura Purcell to mail to you for a swap, The Shape of Darkness.   I really enjoyed it.  It's the third book of hers that I've read and each one has left me with goosebumps!  And, I love the way she leaves the endings ambiguous.  You never know exactly what the true story is!  I was up all last night contimplating the different possibilites! 

Right now I'm reading Firedrakes Eye by Patricia Finney.  She's the same author that writes the Sir Robert Carey novels.  I'm about halfway through and not sure what I think.  Her writing style is what my book club calles 'level 1' (which means, true scholars only! lol).  I find it takes a good 50-100 pages before I can really understand what's going on.   Very similar to Hillary Mantel in that regard.  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/21/2021 8:05 PM ET

Kristin it was really good. Put it on your MWL next round maybe Doree will put it back in for you.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/22/2021 9:51 AM ET

REK - I finished The Queen's Gambit last night.  What an excellent read!

Now I'm onto Paris by Edward Rutherfurd.....

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/27/2021 11:50 AM ET

Reading Death Comes to the Village by Catherine Lloyd from the GR Historical Fictionistas book shelf.  It's a cozy mystery that is a quick and easy read.  Relaxing!

Last Edited on: 12/9/21 9:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 3