Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: November 2023 Health & Fitness Support

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/28/2023 7:54 PM ET

Well, I managed to strain my right knee I mentioned (above).  I strained it pretty bad. It buckled when I put too much weight on it while getting up on a chair. It hurts badly. Can't bear weight on it so I'm using crutches or 2 canes.  I'm glad Meggie has potty pads because I can't walk her. This is why I kept the potty pads, for times like this.  It will take a few days to improve. I'm not going to see a doctor. I'm not willing to consider surgery or PT.

Last Edited on: 11/28/23 8:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2023 8:06 AM ET

Teri, So sorry to hear it's that bad but glad you're still able to get around on your own. Hope your knee heals quickly.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 11/29/2023 10:14 AM ET

Here's an interesting story........A year or so ago, I introduced cooked green beans into Meggie's diet as a way to help manage her weight yet fill her up. I mix veggies with her kibble. She loves veggies, cooked carrots, broccoli, winter squash, cauliflower, but she especially likes fresh cooked green beans.  I put a few beans on a plate and warm them in the microwave for 20 seconds. (Here's the interesting part) The green beans spark, smoke, ignite! I actually had a little fire in the microwave one time as the beans ignited a paper towel covering.  Luckily I was standing right there.  So I Googled the question of green beans igniting.  It seems to be a matter of minerals the beans pick up from the soil where they are grown! So, a metal of some sort.  Now, I warm up the beans on a small bowl with some water. No sparking.  No other vegetable that I've warmed up for Meggie does this.

I'm still limping around with a cane, sitting in my chair with my knee on a pillow. A good day to do Christmas cards and watch movies. My neighbor is going to bring my mail up this afternoon since I'm not venturing out.

Last Edited on: 11/29/23 10:18 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2023 11:52 AM ET

I never knew that. Interesting.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Hi
Date Posted: 11/29/2023 3:16 PM ET

Teri, why not PT? I have gotten so much good from PT in the last several years.

i hope to get in a pool tomorrow!

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 11/29/2023 6:24 PM ET

Margaret, my primary objection to PT is the copay cost. PT usually goes on for weeks.  There are many costs associated with surgery as well. Doctor copays, and not just the surgeon. The anesthesiologist.  Additional surgical staff.  Medical supplies.  Operating room. Hospital facility copay. Rather pessimistic but entirely possible.  I read many patient statements over the years as well as those of my late wife.  If I can get  by, I will.  When the pain subsides I can see the benefit of doing some leg exercises at home. I wouldn't have got myself in this spot if I'd used my head in the first place. I guess if I sound angry, its at myself. I was doing okay until my stunt on the chair.

Last Edited on: 11/29/23 6:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/1/2023 10:24 AM ET

This month is closed. Please join me in the December forum.

Page: