Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: November 2022 Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: November 2022 Reads
Date Posted: 11/1/2022 11:56 AM ET

Happy November, all! What are you reading this month? 

I stated The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh last night.  NOT historical fiction, much to my surprise.  It was on my bookshelf, and there is rarely anything not historical fiction there, so I was surprised to start reading and see references to things like cars, sliding glass doors, telephones, etc.  Words not typically included in the vocabulary of the books I read.  I have no idea when or why I acquired this book, but it seems to have gotten a lot of buzz when it was published in like 2016, so I guess I'll read it.  I can't determine exactly when it takes place other than in the modern age.  I flipped through and didn't see any reference to a date or year.  

I am still listening to The Big Rock Candy Moutain by Wallace Stegner, and I am nearing the end!  Only a little less than 4 hours to go.  It's a really good book.  

Feels good to be done with the HF challenge and be able to grab whatever book I feel like reading and start reading, but I'm sure after a couple of months I'll start being paralyzed by indecision and picking up books and going, "Eh.  Do I really feel like reading this right now?"  LOL!  I love the structure of the challenge and how it kind of forces me to read certain books whether I'm "feeling them" at the time or not.  I usually end up happy that I was "forced" into reading a book.  So, looking forward to 2023's challenge! 

Last Edited on: 11/1/22 12:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2022 3:02 PM ET

Me again?  Where is everyone?  LOL!

I FINALLY finished listening to The Big Rock Candy Mountain.  Excellent!  Highly recommended.  It's a time investment, but worth it. Not sure what I will listen to next.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/7/2022 1:47 PM ET

Hello!  I guess I'm talking to myself this month.  LOL!  I finished The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, which was pretty good, despite not being historical fiction.  I started listening to Dangerous Women by Hope Adams on Audible.  Not sure what I'll actually read next.  

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2022 9:33 AM ET

Aww, Shelley!  I haven't been picking up HF lately.  I'm currently reading The Lighthouse by PD James and 1776 by David McCullough.  :)

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/9/2022 6:54 AM ET

Hello everyone,

I did read a good historical mystery last week. A Peculiar Combination by Ashley Weaver. Set in WWII London.  Story deals with espionage and Nazi's trying to steal technical plans. First book in series I enjoyed it.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/10/2022 10:05 AM ET

Glad to hear I'm not alone here this month!  {Waves} to Alice and Carolyn!

I started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco the other evening.  This one has been on my shelf for years.  I think I got it when I had finished An Instance of the Fingerpost, which I loved, and this book was somehow recommended as being the same type of book.  However, I have shied away from actually reading it since it is said the reading is challenging, much like it was in Fingerpost.  I read somewhere that the author has said if you can get through the first 100 pages, the going gets easier.  He admitted to wanting to challenge the reader.  Soooo.  I'm only about 40 pages in, but so far, I'm okay with it.  It's not overly exciting yet, and the reading is truly challenging.  You can't just read quickly and expect to get all that is being presented.  I shall continue and see how it goes.  I remember thinking the same thing about Fingerpost, but when I was done, I really enjoyed it - although I was never quite clear on what exactly happened.  The instances of the fingerpost were not clear to me even in retrospect.  LOL!  I hear that is a common statement made about reading that book.  

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/15/2022 9:26 AM ET

The Name of the Rose was so good!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/15/2022 11:26 AM ET

Finished The Lion and the Rose (Borgia Chronicles, Bk 2) by Kate Quinn, an uncorrected proof from my shelves and really enjoyed it.  One of the key characters was created by the author but it made for an interesting read anyway.  I have not read anything about the Borgias previously.  Self centered and cruel, even the Pope.  But the other characters by and large managed to escape their clutches making for a satisfying read.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/15/2022 1:34 PM ET

Carolyn - Thanks for that!  I will keep going.  Still less than 100 pages read, and it's somewhat tedious here and there.  Trying hard to pay attention to the many conversations about the state of the Catholic church at the time and all the goings on as I feel it might bear some impact on the mystery part of the book, but I have to say, it is a little dull reading.  LOL!  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/16/2022 6:04 AM ET

I am reading a wonderful book The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post :: Allison Pataki

I did not know anything about Majorie Post but she lead a fascinating life. Highly recommend

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/16/2022 11:41 AM ET

Just finished Lost and Gone Forever (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, Bk 5) by Alex Grecian, another fascinating murder thriller by a most creative author.  This on focused on seaching for Jack the Ripper.  I know that I can always count on this author for a really good thriller.

Alice:  Allison Pataki is an author I really enjoy.  I'd like to ask for The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post :: Allison Pataki once you have finished it if the book is promised to no one else.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/16/2022 1:19 PM ET

REK unfortunately I have it in the WL Virtual box, and it is on a players MWL 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/16/2022 6:11 PM ET

That's ok Alice.  I knew it was a long shot but thought I would lask anyway.  Put it on my WL and will check the library.  Forgot to mention that I also read Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530 - 1603 by Anne Chambers.  Fascinating.  Lots of wonderful documented history about Granuaile as she was known to the Irish.  She was quite a leader.  

Last Edited on: 11/16/22 10:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/17/2022 6:16 AM ET

I finished Marjoree Post book it was very good.  

I have started The Bangalore Dectectives Club by Harini Nagendra. Set in 1920 Bangalore, India. It gets very good reviews. I am enjoying it so far.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/18/2022 3:41 PM ET

Completed another great thriller/mystery by Alex Grecian:  Lost and Gone Forever (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, Bk 5) by Alex Grecian.  Awesome read by this master storyteller.  Picking up after the previous novel in the series, the key culprit is Jack the Ripper who is bright, committed to his trade (murder) and almost always evades those who wish to capture or kill him.  Keeps one on the edge try;ing to figure out what will happen next.  

Last Edited on: 11/18/22 3:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/22/2022 7:26 AM ET

I have my 2023 HIstorical mystery challenge posted

To record you books go to 2023 HIstorical Mystery List

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/22/2022 7:57 AM ET

Every Year I create a Cozy Mystery  reading challenge in Mystery Forum and HIstorical Mystery Challenge in Historical Myster Forum.  If you would like to join here are the links for 2023. No credits required just a fun way to see how many you can read. They start January 1st 2023. 

2023 Cozy Mystery Challenge

2023 Historical Mystery Challenge

Carolyn has created a 

2023 Historical Fiction Challange

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2022 1:57 PM ET

Hello, all!  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! 

I finished listening to Dangerous Women by Hope Adams.  It was pretty good.  I had a good idea of "whodunit" by halfway through, but that's okay.  I still enjoyed it!