Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: Next Month's General Discussion Book is ...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Next Month's General Discussion Book is ...
Date Posted: 9/24/2012 5:15 PM ET

Next month the general discussion book will be http://We're Just Like You Only Prettier by Celia Rivenbark. I'm not starting another list for this because the last two have had almost no interest. If anyone else wants to do a gerneral discussion be my guest but for now I think we should concentrate on the genre discussions because they are getting more attention and hopefully more participation. 

keepmelaffn avatar
Subject: Hey Chris!
Date Posted: 9/24/2012 5:47 PM ET

Do we read this month (Sept.)  and discuss next month (Oct.) or read in Oct. and discuss in Nov.?

Sandy

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/24/2012 6:02 PM ET

Read in October and discuss in November.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/25/2012 5:50 PM ET

I guess we just have such diverse interests it is hard to come to a consensus.  I know for me, about 80% of the books chosen were not my choice but I read them anyway and participated, and sometimes it is good to go outside your comfort zone.  However, after almost a year of reading other's choices, I really want to read some of my own TBR pile.  I can only get through about two or three books a month due to other obligations, (and only one if it is The Historian, LOL!!).  So, I want to read some of my own stuff for a couple of months. 

I think a hiatus from a planned book is OK, especially through the holidays.  Maybe we can each post about what we are reading and get some conversations going for a month or so after the November discussion.

But, I do understand and share your frustration with the lack of participation.  The cozy discussion isn't getting people that voted for the book to participate either.  I didn't vote for Carrot Cake, I don't care for that author, but Deb is having a discussion with only herself even though there were plenty of votes plus the person that added the book.  The current cozy voting list only has three votes for the top book right now, and voting will end this weekend.  I am fine with just four people discussing a book, as long as they show up.

charoo avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 3:15 PM ET

Yay!  I'm glad this book was chosen!  I ordered it and have started a little.  Now I have a real reason to pick it up :)  

Charlene

debontheweb avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 3:42 PM ET

My basic problem, is I don't have deep thoughts about books I read.   We are discussing Deliverance Dane right now, and I liked the book, but I never stopped while reading to decide what the relationships were between the various mother/daughter combinations.  So it is hard for me to come up with an intelligent discussion.

I'm in for holding off til January or so.

charoo avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 3:53 PM ET

Deb I agree with you.  This is my problem too, I don't have deep thoughts about the books and I'm finding it hard to put my thoughts into words.  

I guess I didn't realize this about myself before I started voting on books and I now know I have mentioned it several times.

Edited 

Charlene

Last Edited on: 10/3/12 8:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
debontheweb avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2012 9:49 PM ET

Okay, here is what I thought when I was reading.....When Connie was in the church and (was his name Sam?)  told her there was a depository of church files in the basement.....did anyone else think he was going to mug her down there?   That is how deep I read, hahah.