Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: New Anti-Fishing Mailboxes

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: New Anti-Fishing Mailboxes
Date Posted: 4/9/2019 10:33 AM ET

The nex mailboxes with the smaller mail slots are forcing us to make a trip to the post office (and park and go inside) to mail all our PBS packages. This is not trivial; our local Post offices are not close and convenient. It has definitely been a hassle.

Any insights or work-arounds?

John

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/9/2019 11:21 AM ET

Find a local larger office building in your area. Most office buildings have a mail room or drop off area on the ground level with PO mail boxes and sometimes FedEx boxes that can easily be accessed by people in the building. These are usually capable of accepting larger packages. Every office building I’ve ever worked in has had this and it’s where I drop off my personal mail and packages. As long as the office is generally open to the public the mail room or service area for deliveries should be too. The offices I’m in now have banks and other public businesses as well as a hotel and the boxes are located near the retail parking, which is separate from the multi-level parking garage for tenants.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/9/2019 1:31 PM ET

Can you qualify to have your packages picked up at you home by your mail carrier? I have not done this myself but I know people who have done it. I think all you have to do is call ahead a day ahead to your local post office.

So far all the big blue boxes in my town still have the door that opens on one side. the door opening is 18 inches wide. yes I measured it.

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 4/10/2019 7:41 AM ET

My area still has the old blue boxes but we do have places inside businesses that act like a post office. One is inside a gas station; another in a Hardware store and yesterday I saw one in a Hallmark store. If you go to usps.com you should be able to find if there are places like that near you.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/11/2019 4:14 PM ET

Excellent suggestions! Thank you.