Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Money & Business

Topic: Looking for a job? Want to talk about it or need support?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Aqua avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/7/2008 1:48 AM ET

How are the job searches going?

I'm thinking of looking for something part time.  The extra money would be great and it would get me out of the house more.  It sure would be nice to find something that's mentally challenging or at least stimulating enough to keep me from getting really bored.  I do have a small marketing business I run via the internet and that brings in some money every month but obviously doesn't provide any benefits etc.

Also, in order to get Social Security, you have to work a certain number of hours in the 10 years prior to your retirement.

I thought the numbers were based strictly on an average of the past 35 years highest wages. I realize SSA makes an assumption one will work until full retirement age and if not it changes the calculations.  I did not know they also used a calculation for number of hours worked within the decade prior to retirement.  However, since I'm not eligible to collect benefits for at least another 20 years maybe that part is not as urgent LOL.

Looks like I need to go on SSA.gov and use the calculators.

sevenspiders avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/7/2008 7:37 PM ET

Got a bunch more applications going out.  Also applying to Teach for America, but its really really competitive.  Still, they badly need science teachers, and my background is in biology, so I'm hopeful.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/29/2008 11:12 PM ET

I work from home because I was tired of corporate and downsizing and all that goes along with it. My husband and I have a transport business, but I wanted to add something to it so started with Avon (c'mon $10.00 start up fee ~ it was worth a shot!). My Avon is doing very well, but I do go door to door in my neighborhood and really put effort into it.

Recently, I started as a distributor with Mia Bella candles and I LOVE IT! The compensation and opportunity are incredible and who doesn't love candles??? They're consummable, in over 80% of households in the US, over $2 Billion dollar a year industry - and the Mia Bella candles are eco friendly (made from veggie/palm wax - plant based and renewable). I could go on and on about Mia Bella, but I'll spare you. LOL

In today's economy and job market, a lot of people are turning to home based businesses to rescue themselves and depend on themselves. As in anything else, you get out what you put in, so success is in each individual's hands.

If anybody is interested in Mia Bella or Avon, click the links in my siggy or PM me- for more business opportunities, there's a site for work at home moms at http://www.wahm.com with lots of forums and information.

Good luck!

Christi

Page: