Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: Let's get busy on our 2015 challenge!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Let's get busy on our 2015 challenge!
Date Posted: 11/5/2014 2:39 PM ET

Last year I listed all the categories we'd tried over the past few years, and readers placed their votes.

I'm starting to prepare a list for 2015, but am open to suggestions.

I hope to have a rough draft up in a few days.

Rose

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/6/2014 4:05 PM ET

Perhaps 'thematic' classics would be a possibility--- I recently finished reading a superb "anti-war" novel, and after the Nov. 4 mid-tern election, I've been thinking of taking up a 'political power' novel of some kind.   And I remember we had a "banned books" category, previously, and maybe that could be adapted into a category of "novels about things we're not supposed to talk about in polite society, such as religion, money, sexual behaviors, and so forth" .

The categories we're using now could serve again----I'd be glad to explore most of them further.

escapeartistk avatar
Date Posted: 11/8/2014 4:56 PM ET

I like all of Bonnie's suggestions. I too liked this year's categories, particularly #'s 1-7. 

We could include something to do with different time periods (set in or written in)...can't remember whether we've done that before. Various countries/continents is also fun, as it requires us to branch out.