Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - eBook readers eBook readers

Topic: “Kindle Unlimited" Now up and Running

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
DuskyRose avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/17/2014 7:41 AM ET

I keep finding new books. I think more authors will join as time goes on. IIRC, from something someone said on another forum, the authors get paid for the loan by Amazon if the borrower reads 10% or more of the book. So I read those on the Kindle app so that the author gets their rightful share of the money I'm paying for the loan. Even though the Kindle reading app isn't the best one out there. 

(Amazon really needs to put more time and attention into their reading app for Windows, Android and IOS. Seriously.)

One author said they were doing well, as they were making more money on loan royalties this month than they were with sales. I think more people are willing to try new stuff and new authors on a loan program. I know I am.

I even bought a couple after I read them, 'cause they're for my keeper files.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/17/2014 1:01 PM ET

So far I've mostly just done the ones with free Whispersync.  Hopefully since Amazon owns Audible, it's registering my listens and the author's are getting paid.

I was wondering how it would work on my Kindle for the ones that don't have an audio book.  If I read the book but never turn the wifi on until I am ready to load some books, will it register my read?  Or will it only register my read if I am in the book with the wifi on? So yesterday I pulled up one on my phone app that I was mainly reading on my Kindle and scrolled through enough pages so the author would get credit.  I'm not trying to scam by not turning my WIFI on, I tend to keep the wifi off because it drains the battery faster.

Last Edited on: 9/17/14 1:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
gremlin avatar
Date Posted: 9/18/2014 6:19 AM ET

(Amazon really needs to put more time and attention into their reading app for Windows, Android and IOS. Seriously.)

off topic, but that's interesting.  for me, the Kindle reading app is the cleanest/easiest one i've found.  totally easy, not too many options, but i can generally get it to display in a nice readable size and easy page turns, not always my experience with other reading apps.  on Windows, ADE is dreadful, and Calibre is way more app than is needed just to read (though i love it for other things).

on my Android phone i tried a few, finally settled on the Moon (free) reader to occasionally read (or start) an epub i haven't got converted yet, but i was about to uninstall it and start looking again until i found the settings that would make it just display the book as it was coded instead of making up it's own formatting.  (plus half the time i have to try twice to turn the page, which is irritating.)  of course, i just want to *read* in it, i've rarely got more than a few files at time loaded on my phone due to space, so i'm not looking for anything complicated, like different ways to display a library or anything.

DuskyRose avatar
Date Posted: 9/18/2014 7:57 AM ET

My problems with the Kindle apps is that it's hard to search for books in anything but the Kindles themselves. No real background choices, none of the fonts I like, or line spacing I like... They're just very basic, IMHO. As for eInk, I've always found that with the exception of font size in the earlier models, that the Sony's had the better programming. Easy to use, stylish, more choices than the Kindles had in various things. While the Sony's are gone, I've found the Kobo Aura the next best thing. Makes last years Kindles look thick and clunky next to them.

For the Android apps, I've not found one I've been real happy with. For IOS, my favorite is Marvin, by far. Fast, easy to use, various font, color, margin choices. A bit of a learning curve to get Calibre connected, but will accept ePubs from Calibre and sort them into collections. Stanza was my old favorite, but it's not been supported in a long time.

I can't stand iBooks, although it's been a while since I messed with it. Basic, no configuration choices, and just plain ugly. Ick.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/18/2014 8:30 AM ET

Back up for a minute.

I have a Nook (great little machine, crappy content and support), so what I have been doing is purchasing and borrowing via the regular lending library to my Kindle for PC and then converting to epub via Calibre and reading on my Nook. Are you telling me that on the lends, the author has not been getting credit because I haven't been reading a certain number of page turns in the Kindle app as well? How did I not know that? How many pages does the author need to get paid? Because I'll do what I've been doing but also go read in the app to pay the author, I just need to know how far I have to go in the book.

DuskyRose avatar
Date Posted: 9/18/2014 8:50 AM ET

Are you telling me that on the lends, the author has not been getting credit because I haven't been reading a certain number of page turns in the Kindle app as well?

AFAIK, the way the authors are paid differs between the Kindle Lending program, the Freebie program and the Kindle Unlimited program. 

I don't know about the other two, (although it's the lending or downloading that triggers the payment that I think I read about). In the KU program I've read authors discussing the fact that someone who borrows from the KU must read 10% of the book before payment kicks in.

Here.

Amazon says on its website that Kindle Direct Publishing Select "authors and publishers will earn a share of the KDP Select global fund each time a customer accesses their book from Kindle Unlimited and reads more than 10 percent of their book -- about the length of reading the free sample available in Kindle books -- as opposed to a payout when the book is simply downloaded." Offering payouts based on percentage is similar to how competing subscription services Oyster and Scribd operate, though both services offer a full list price payout, which the author dictates, once the threshold is reached.

And, as readers and subscribers, we're not told of this because we're meant to read Kindle books on Kindle devices, so Amazon would know the stats of our reading. They just assume that doing business as usual, the reader won't have to worry about keeping track. It would just happen.

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 11/25/2014 8:39 AM ET

I've joined...mainly for the audio books. I've gotten myself a no contract android phone just for audio books.  Works great for the KU Audio books.

And since Scribd has audio books now, I've got them, too.

I've got lists of titles available. If I run out of stuff, I'll just unsubscribe. But for right now, I'm in with both of them.

I won't be renewing the Brooklyn Library card....my own libraries have better selections, for the most part.

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2014 7:18 AM ET

Now you can get a discount if you buy a qualifying Kindle from Amazon

Kindle Unlimited Promo

I've just emailed them to see if I can get the Promo discount, since I bought 2 Fire HD 6's less than a month ago, for gifts.

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 11/28/2014 2:33 PM ET

They wouldn't.

So, when the Fires went on sale yesterday, I ordered one just to get the KU promo price. 6 months of KU for $30 is what it amounts to. Whether I keep it after that or not, remains to be seen.

So now I have an extra Fire HD 6 (8gb) that I will probably be selling on ebay. I don't need it. surprise I will see if my mom has any interest when she comes for a visit next month.

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2014 8:02 AM ET

My mother did want the Kindle Fire. I'm so excited for her. How do people live without a tablet!!!!

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 6/15/2015 7:14 AM ET

My six months is up and I have unsubscribed. It's not in any way worth $10 a month, in my opinion. Scribd is awesome! 

Page: