Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: January 2023 Health and Fitness Support

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/29/2023 2:10 PM ET

Good morning.  I didn't make my January goal by today (1/29).  I'll weight on Tuesday and see if I might drop .6 between now and then.  Eating out on Friday and Saturday was too much to make it today, but I should eat in today-Tuesday.  I am down .6 from January 1 though.  And, I'm okay with that in a month where I found myself 3.5# up from my January 1 weight.

I struggle when the weather is cold and especially if it's cold and wet.  I need summer to get here.  :)

Not all my habits from last year have stuck solid either.  My gratitude journal has pretty much gone by the wayside and I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the number of times in a week that I have sweets or dessert.  Maybe doing okay on that one because I'm trying to illiminate sweets because they are such a trigger for me.  Sleep goal (7 hours/night) happens probably more often than not, but I'm not thinking about when I need to get up so that I go to bed in time to make the 7 hours happen.

The rest are sticking pretty well.  I think for February I'll try to reinstate my gratitude journal since it's the oldest habit that I've let slide.

Rainy and yucky here, but not cold at least.

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/29/2023 9:37 PM ET

Did my final Jan weigh in today...up exactly 1 pound for the month. Not exactly sure what happened but need to figure out what needs to change for February.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2023 5:54 AM ET

I know what's keeping me on track! Its my Nephrology appointment on Wednesday! Yesterday I did a major grocery shopping. I snacked on nothing! I missed lunch!  I had rotisserie chicken and asparagus for an early supper around 3pm.  As a result of consciously sticking to my resolve I broke 199.9 this morning! I'm pleased. To be honest, after my Nephrology appointment I'm taking myself out to breakfast!

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 1/31/2023 10:27 AM ET

Just coming in to report that I managed to meet my January weight loss goal by today (1/31).  I knew the eating out on Friday and Saturday were the culprit when I weighed on Sunday.  Glad that I was eating in Sunday and Monday.  So I was 155.4 this morning against a goal of 156.  My February goal is 155.  I'm only aiming for one pound a month which, if I can do it, will put me at 145 at the end of December.  I haven't been below 150 in quite a number of years, but I think "technically" 130-140 is the right range based on my height and bone structure.  I think even 140 might be too much though so if I can just get below the 150 barrier I'll probably be happy.

So Teri, I could Google, but instead I'll ask you.  What is Nephrology?  And congrats on breaking that 200# barrier.  Milestones to celebrate!

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2023 10:46 AM ET

Lisa, my nephrologist is my kidney doctor. She also manages my diabetes.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2023 10:56 AM ET

February 2023 Health and Fitness is posted.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Good Enough
Date Posted: 1/31/2023 11:25 AM ET

I do official weighins on Sundays, and on 1/29 I was 234.6, so I had made my goal for January (revised goal of 235, because I hit the original goal of 238 so quickly). Hooray! I had even worded my goal as on 1/29, so I did make the goal! This morning it is up from that because I had pizza yesterday and too many sweets both today and yesterday, but I'll set the February goal based on the 234.6 on 1/29, and this just means I have a little more work to do! 

But I was trying to focus on habits, not a number on the scale, and I didn't do as well there.

January Goals:

• Get in bed by midnight; lights off by 1.
  • Walk 50,000 steps each week
  • On January 29, weigh at most 235 pounds. (Adjusted from 238, since I was below that on Jan 4)

I definitely have not been meeting the first two goals! So, I'll keep them for February. I think it did not help that I misplaced my fitbit in December and haven't found it yet. However, I had misplaced my fitbit, because I wasn't wearing it because I had misplaced my charger. I did find the charger, and I have just had a memory of where I put the fitbit, so my goal for today is to find the fitbit and charge it. Then I can start February with it!

I also need to start measuring and recording my blood pressure again. I could not do that for a while, because my machine just kept telling me "ERROR: CUFF." So I finally just bought a new cuff from Amazon (it was past the warranty period, so perhaps I should have expected it to fail!). I haven't tried the new cuff yet, but I think I'll add that to the goals for February. I know that I do better with a single goal, but I'm still going to try to do three things because they are not new, but habit I already was working on before.

I think I'll go over to February to put in my goals, but I won't unwatch this one till later this week.

Last Edited on: 1/31/23 11:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 1/31/2023 3:06 PM ET

Lisa, my nephrologist is my kidney doctor. - Thanks Teri.  I thought it might have something to do with your diabetes.

Margaret, good idea to focus on the habits and not a number on the scale.  At least I think so.  Too often the scale varies from day to day and we can get consumed with what it says.  A general downward trend that comes from developing better habits will probably serve us better in the future.

Page: