Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: January 2022 Health and Fitness Support

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 8:45 AM ET

Last Edited on: 1/30/22 3:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 10:49 AM ET

Today's Goals:  Follow IF (eating window is only Noon-2:00 p.m.); no sweets

Weigh in today shows that I lost .8 pounds from my January 2 weigh in.  Obviously I didn't watch what I ate nearly well enough.

February New Habit is spiritual, not physical.  "Start my day with 10 minutes of dedicated prayer."  I have such a tendency to just jump into my day or jump into my Bible Study.  I need this 10 minutes to get centered for my day ahead.

Heather, interesting information for those in the Phoenix area.  Nancy, I new you were in AZ, but not that it was in Mesa.  My sister lived there for about 10 years.  I loved it when I visited.  This would have been in the mid-80's until probably 1994 or 95.

And, Heather, making my bed keeps me from crawling back in it because it's cold.  I just put a jacket on.  Wearing shoes, even slippers, helps too.  If my feet are cold all of me is cold.

Melissa, eating mindful portions is a success, at least for me.  I haven't read the book you mention, or even heard of it, but anything that says "make it yourself" isn't going to work for me.  I eat out too often as a part of keeping up with people in my life.  Plus, I buy prepared meals, sometimes fresh to cook, but also frozen, because it's just me and cooking for one is super hard for me.

Good job Heather on accomplishing one goal.  Maybe two, you listed and sold and item so made your $10, but you decluttered too.

The scale gave me bad news today but I am not counting it!  -  This just gave me a chuckle Margaret.  I think I like that logic.  If I don't like what the scale says "just don't count it."  I did read the next line and realized why, and that makes sense, but I still laughed at the first line.

Melissa, you seem to be doing good at dropping a little weight.  Congratulations!

I see you are setting up a new thread for this.  I'll transfer my new habit over there once it's set up.  Thanks for doing this.

Last Edited on: 1/30/22 10:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 11:14 AM ET

Weigh in today shows that I lost .8 pounds from my January 2 weigh in.  Obviously I didn't watch what I ate nearly well enough.

Uh, Lisa, with all the events which involved food this past month, have you GAINED?  NO!!!!  Looks good to me.

AZmom875 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 11:41 AM ET

Yes, my feet get the coldest.  I have to put on Tennis shoes,  the cold comes right through the slippers.   Where ever I sit I have a rug under my feet.   My whole house is tiles.   Carpet is warm but ugh the stuff that collects underneath.

I actually made enought money on ebay for 25 days - fees and postage so maybe 22 days.  You do the math.   I mail out the one item Monday, and I will list some more smaller things, that I really just need to rehome. 

AND the reason, I came here.   I have been getting Emails from this one recipe site,  and I love this guy.    I seem to love all his recipes.  It has moved me to buy some of the more obscure staples in his recipes. 

I made this yesterday.   It was yum!  I plan to finish it off today.    The big mans world by Arman Liew

https://thebigmansworld.com/cauliflower-potato-salad/

debbiemd avatar
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 3:20 PM ET

Heather - thank you for that recipe link.  It looks delicious.  I have already done my meal planning and prep for this week, but that is going on the list for next week for sure.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 4:01 PM ET

February 2022 Health and Fitness Support

David and I stopped eating out during the pademic shutdown. I'd always cooked, but we got in the habit of not eating out. Now, we don't even enjoy it. We still get takeout occasionally. David and I shop each weekend for the upcoming week. We plan our meals together. I do most of the cooking.

So far today, I've walked 4000 steps and drunk about 8 cups of water. I made grits and sausage links for breakfast. I made salads for lunch. I opened a bottle of champagne; David and I each drank a small glass with our salads. I'm making these cheesy fries. They are not healthy, but they're delicious.

Last Edited on: 1/30/22 7:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 4:03 PM ET

Bonnie, appreciate the encouragement.  I guess as long as it goes in the right direction it's a win.

Heather, thanks for the link.  I don't cook too often, but I'll check it out.  My house has wood (well actually vinyl) flooring and so I hear you about the cold coming through slippers.  Usually with my slippers I keep socks on.  Well, at least when it's cold outside.  I'm a slipper girl, so wear them even in the summer usually.  But then my floors are warm enough.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 4:12 PM ET

Melissa, looks like you were posting at the same time I was.  It's a lot healthier to eat at home and do your own cooking.  I only eat out for social things, never just me unless I'm traveling or something.  But, it's an easy way to keep up with friends, so I eat at least a few meals out every week.

Sunday is my day to not care about steps, but I do have over 4,000 right now.  Likely due to being in childcare with four year olds this morning.  Cheesy fries sound good.  :)

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Official
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 7:25 PM ET

So today I made sure to weigh right after getting up... 249.6. Disappointing, since it was lower at times during the month. But after a week of uti, then the stressful first week of semester, followed by a week of hosting chair candidates, I'll take a net loss of 1 pound per month. I wanted more, but as discussed earlier that was for the wrong reasons.

Heather, thanks for sharing that site. I won't make that recipe, since I don't like dill, or mayonnaise or mustard, but I explored a few other recipes on his site and may try a few.

I don't find time to cook often, so I look for things I can make fast or in bulk.

still thinking about goals/habits for February, but I'll post them in that thread.

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2022 8:03 PM ET

Tomorrow is my last official weigh in for Jan. I'm concerned it might be high, here's why....Scott & I were on our own for dinner tonight as Rob & Adam are getting dinner together after Rob's done coaching the girls bball practice. Scott chose Asian food...so high in sodium. I chose Hibachi shrimp. Ate all the shrimp, most of the vegetables & not all the rice. We'll see what tomorrow holds. If I lose the .4 I'll make my goal of losing the 2 lbs I wanted this month. I'm not sure now, we'll see. Hoping that since I did not snack at all today & didn't really eat much for breakfast or lunch it will help even it all out.

I have figured out my February goals but will wait to post them in the Feb thread on Feb 1st. Thanks Melissa for making the new thread!

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 7:31 AM ET

Very disappointed with the scale today...128.8. Started the month at 129, wanted to lose 2 lbs, got w/in .4 two days ago. Now it seems I've only lost .2. Frustrating but motivating.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 7:34 AM ET

As of this morning I'm 230.2, so I dropped 0.03 of a pound for the month. Not even 1/2 a pound. I'm really Hoping I'll do better in February and get my head in the game and do better.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 9:16 AM ET

Good morning.  I've been to the gym early because I'm going to a movie at 11 and I have to run by Macy's to return some stuff before that.  Probably lunch after the movie, but my IF schedule is now eat between 7-3 for the entire week.

Margaret, I also hoped to lose more for the wrong reasons, but even so I had a net loss of .8 pounds.  Someone told me that was a win because it at least went the right direction.  So, the same is true for your 1#.  Steady wins the race - not the fastest necessarily.

Shayla, I had PF Changs last week and saw a 3# gain from it.  The next day 2# was gone and now it's all gone.  Chinese is high in sodium and usually results in a gain for me, but it drops off quick.  It will for you too, I'm sure.  And, you can join me and Margaret in the "I wanted to lose more, but at least I lost something club."   .2 down for the win.

And, Vicki, I see you are joining our club with a .3 loss.  Any loss is a win so congrats.

I'm a cheerleader today apparently!

Today's Goals:  Stick to IF schedule; no sweets; gym; 8,000 steps (although I changed my goal to 8,500 for February)

Whatever our goals are, we can't achieve them if we just give up.  Let's stick with the program and make these things habits.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Taunting
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 10:49 AM ET

The scale is taunting me with variability. Yesterday I officially weighed and was disappointed the loss wasn't more. Today it is down a pound.

AZmom875 avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 12:05 PM ET

Those 3 goals I picked.

1. gratitudeyes

2.  Make $10 a day.   I listed 4 ANNIES attic books on ebay.    They get expensive to mail so I thought I would list them there, instead of another credit here.  

3. Walk a mile, with dogs.  OK soon.  

I have to go to the PO and mail a slew of books, and one ebay order I sold. 

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 1:01 PM ET

I went & walked the 2 mile neighborhood loop today. I had 3 motivators...1) the disappointing weigh in today, 2) the temperature was 51 degrees & 3) I want to finish this audiobook I'm listening to. It's good but LONG....Eternal by Lisa Scottoline. Eternal is right, it's like over 19 hours long. After this book I'm taking a break from all books dealing with WW2. I'm over that storyline for a while.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 4:48 PM ET

Good afternoon.  Cold rainy day, but I'm home to stay now.

I had about 300 calories (275 I think actually) for breakfast with a bacon/egg/cheese toaster pastry thing and some yogurt.  I had a salad and shrimp scampi for lunch, but also had garlic bread and honey mustard dressing.  No idea the calorie count.  I didn't eat all the noodles with the scampi, but I'm guessing I still probably consumed in excess of 1,000 calories.  Done for the day now though.

I'm at 5800 steps so I'll have to do some walking around the house and/or marching in front of television or while reading in order to get to my 8,000.  I'm sure I will get there though.

Shayla, that's one long audiobook.  The last eBook I read came up saying it was 14 hours of reading time.  I guess it adjusts to my reading though and after a chapter or two it said 11 and a half hours.  Still, a long book to read, at least for me.  I like the ones that say 6-8 hours to read.

Heather, walking those dogs is good for them and you.  One time I heard someone say the best health tip ever is walk the dog every day - whether you have one or not.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 7:33 PM ET

130 for today. I did not meet my goal. I'll start posting in the Feb thread tomorrow.

TriGin avatar
Standard Member medalGame Moderator medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 8:45 PM ET

Down another pound as we are traveling and cannot "snack" durring our travels.   I need to find the referrences  - quit counting calories.   The twitter feeds will say eliminate sugar, processed foodes, and internitent fasting.   

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 9:23 PM ET

One time I heard someone say the best health tip ever is walk the dog every day - whether you have one or not.  That's funny & true :)

AZmom875 avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2022 10:21 PM ET

THANKS SHAYLA

Shayla posted a good list of some goals.  

One of the 3 goals I picked was make $10 a day, or save $10.  I dont work so making $10 seemed like a fun and easy goal.   I use to sell on ebay eons, ago.  

I posted my guidepost books, for cheap.   I am tired of paying for postage, to give away books, so this is well, a not very profitable endevour, but the books will be gone.  I sold one already.   

Yesterday I sold umm one thing, and it was expensive, so I really, and ahead of the game.  

I am  on ebay IAMDEKLUTTERING.   I joined in August of 2005.   So that just tells you how long I have been trying to declutter. 

I walked the dogs,  I did my gratitude.   I was thankful for my cat that likes to sleep on the side of the bed near my calves.   I really havent appreciated her much over the years.  She was more attached to Paul, even though I was the one who found her at 7 weeks under the hood of the neighbors car.   She is a pretty calico.

The OTHER cat, Squeaky,  Barfed on my bed this afternoon.  Poor thing, that is rare.   I hope she is ok.  She seems fine. She is also sleeping on the end of my bed.  The cats never slept with us, when my husband was alive.   Odd that they sleep through the night in my bed, with me.  ACHOOO! 

Page: