Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - History

Topic: Like History? What do you read?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: The Oxford History of the United States
Date Posted: 9/30/2009 12:16 AM ET

Is anyone familiar with this series?  I have three volumes, all great books and I would like to know how many of the scheduled volumes are now available

Thanks

David

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2009 11:35 PM ET

I also am a pretty eclectic reader, but I don't read romance novels or chick lit. I will read all history books that catch my eye, including lots of wwll. I am now on a Polish history bent:  "Polish Winged Hussars";  "Babcia's Wish: A ghost Story from Old Poland"; "Solidarity's Secret: The Women Who Defeated Communism in Poland".

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/15/2010 10:46 PM ET

I love anything in History, Ancient History, Medieval History, Renissance history, England, Scotland, Russia, Ireland, European History, Military wars and campaigns, World War I and II, Joan Of Arc, William Wallace (Braveheart), Rob Roy, Archaeology (Greece, Egyptology, Holy Land), Anthropology.

Last Edited on: 9/15/10 10:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
pdubop avatar
Subject: I enjoy the History of Military Technology the most
Date Posted: 10/4/2010 8:44 PM ET

I've read all of R.P. Hunnicutts books on the Histories of Light, Medium and Heavy Tanks along with his APC Histories.  I've also read Ralph Zumbro.  I do like Antonia Fraser's Cromwell.  I tend to focus around WWII and the Civil War.

Wildhog3 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/24/2010 2:46 PM ET

Right now I am focusing on all that I can dig up on what the "Founding Fathers" really had in mind when they put together The Constitution. These cats wrote letters back and forth, lots of letters, and they apparently never threw any of them away. It is hard to sort through what has been published but very enlightening. I notice two things so far:  First, what were the most important issues to them were nothing close to what we are "told" by the history books. Second, What they thought about and what today's writers say they thought about  is vastly different, often completely backwards.

pdubop avatar
Subject: History of Tanks
Date Posted: 10/25/2010 9:15 PM ET

I'm a real armor nut.  I've got a whole bookcase on the history of tanks, history of tank commanders, tank vs tank actions, tank vs infantry actions, and the history of tank unit tactics and unit histories. 

pdubop avatar
Subject: I read mostly the history of military technology
Date Posted: 11/12/2010 9:39 PM ET

The last thing I read was a Table in the Presence by Lt. Carey H. Cash.  This was a unit history of a US Marine Battalion during the second Gulf War and God's intervention during the fighting.  Prior to that I read Iron Cavalry by Ralph Zumbro.  I really like reading about the evolution of armored fighting vehicles of all types and about the soldiers who use them.  I have listened this year to Antonia Fraser's Cromwell. That was an amazing book about an amazing time in British History.  I enjoy reading about a lot of eras, especially since my kid's schools Project Fair is coming up and I'm judging the History Projects.  Based on the reports, the girls are going to sweep the guys again this year.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/29/2011 1:42 PM ET

American Revolution (number one interest by far), French Revolution to a lesser degree, Viking Age history, Ancient Rome, and European front WWII. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/15/2011 6:39 PM ET

I love reading about the early West also like Will. I also enjoy reading about the early 1900's in New York with all the immigrants coming in. I loved The Triangle. 

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Favorites
Date Posted: 12/20/2011 11:07 PM ET

I am reading my way through Erik Larson and David McCullogh. As a Vietnam veteran  I look for books about that war. I have been disappointed in most of the ones I have found so any suggestions will be appreciated.

catscritch avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2012 4:37 PM ET

Wil J

You would probably enjoy Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West, by Hampton Sides, Sam Houston, by James Haley and David Crockett: The Lion of the West by Michael Wallis.  These are just the last few that stood out in my mind as to information, adventure, character and just feeling good about reading a good (true) story.

Sevenspiders: "And my all-time favorite book: The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson"

Donna B: "Issac's Storm"

Jo L.: "The Worst Hard Time"

Right back atcha!

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Favorite History topics
Date Posted: 5/17/2012 12:59 AM ET

American history, mostly 20th century plus Civil War. I read a lot of military and financial history from the crash of 1929 through the current economic problems and scandals and military history from WWII (my fathers war)  through Viet Nam (my war).

Currently reading volume three of Shelby Foote's Narraive of the Civil War.

chimchiminee avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2012 7:29 AM ET

I've somehow managed to burn out on contemporary fiction so it's a good thing I like history!

Colonial America and the Revolution are favorite reads, as well as stories about building great cathedrals, bridges, subway systems etc. Can't imagine why, because I have no background in architecture.

Right now I'm reading "Gaudi" about the building of a very unique - and still under construction - cathedral in Spain. I wanted to find out more about the person who could have conceieved of the project that it is. I'm about halfway through the book and he is still something of an enigma.

theresahpir avatar
Date Posted: 6/17/2012 12:25 AM ET

I like to read a lot of local (West Virginia) history, and of course...haunted history.  I'm also interested in books on the Civil War, and day-to-day Victorian era living.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: What I read. . . .
Date Posted: 9/28/2012 6:24 PM ET

I love history, most of my library is nothing but history and then some fiction. The period that I find most interesting is WWII, this to me was a time when the nation really came together. I read anything from ancient Rome up to modern times and everything in between,

sassycountess avatar
Subject: Reply to forum
Date Posted: 10/16/2012 4:35 PM ET

Hi, I am hoping to have some great conversations here! I love eighteenth century and Regency British history. My current book is Mistress of the Elgin Marbles, which I find an easy and fabulous read. Anyone else read this?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/28/2013 11:40 PM ET

I just  picked up a copy of The Long Gray Line about the 1966 West Point class.  I also graduated in 1966 (not West Point) and served in Viet Nam as did so many of these soldiers.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/29/2013 1:19 PM ET

Additionally, I like "first-person accounts" of events, such as diaries and journals and logs kept by people living in those eras.

For example, A  Lady's Life in the Rockies, by Isabella Bird, consists of 17 letters, written from Sept. 2 to Dec. 12, in which the

intrepid Englishwoman describes wonderfully the places and the people she met there.  It was the latter portion of a journey

to Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, and then on to the Rocky Mountains that she had begun in the autumn of 1872.  

Two other 'peripheral' works of history that I like are Frederick Lewis Allen's Only Yesterday and Since Yesterday, "popular' histories

of the Twenties and Thirties in the USA.   When the Wall Street "crash" occurred a few years back, I got that book out and re-read

the two chapters that described the 1929 crash.  (Who says History does not repeat itself, sometimes?)

A professor friend told me about how the president of the American Historical Association in 1932, Herbert E. Bolton, had been

a strong advocate of teaching American history on a hemispheric footing, rather than from a nationalistic (chauvinist) point of view.

A few years later, I discovered, in a used book shop, a history text entitled "A Short History of the Americas", by R.S. Cotterill,

Ph.D. of Florida State College for Women, published in 1939 and in 1945.  I find it quite interesting  to read his 24 chapters about

what happened in the entire Western hemisphere.    I can only wonder why Bolton's 'crusade' never won much of a following

among U.S. history teachers?

Not to be overlooked are the works of the late Professor Howard Zinn, especially his A People's History of the United States.  

He was a one-of-a-kind historiographer. 

Last Edited on: 6/29/13 1:24 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: History favories
Date Posted: 9/7/2013 11:41 PM ET

I like American political and military history (Vietnam Veteran). Last read was Balz's book on the 2012 Presidental election. Great book.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/7/2013 9:10 AM ET

My history reading has been prompted by my interest in historical fiction and recommendations from people in that group like Jerelyn (I-F-Letty) and Donna.  I do find that I have broadened my reading by doing the history challenges during which I discovered Nathaniel Philbrick, Erik Larson and others.  Just finished Sorrow Mountain by Ani Pachen and Adelaide Donnelly which is the story of a Tiben warrior nun who finds she must lead the people in her area against the Chinese as they invade Tibet.  I found it fascinating.  Henry and Clare by Ralph G. Martin was a good one, too, as well as Go Down Together, the story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn.  I plan to read more of Guinn's work, too.

Glad to see so many recommendations for so many people here.  More and more suggestions for nonfiction reading!

Last Edited on: 10/7/13 9:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/15/2013 1:19 PM ET

I am a history addict and read across various time periods. I also do reviews on many of the books I read. Some of these reviews are on the PBS Blog if you are interested.  The latest one was A South Divided about southern dissent toward the Confederacy during the American Civil War.

Recently, I finished Blood and Thunder and agree with Cat above that it was a great read.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/3/2014 8:17 AM ET

Hey all, join us for the history reading challege.   The wide range of interests you discuss would be welcome.  I'm into Truman at the moment.

Last Edited on: 1/3/14 8:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: