Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: Is the general discussion getting boring?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Is the general discussion getting boring?
Date Posted: 9/14/2012 11:35 AM ET

Should we stop doing a general discussion and just start focusing on genre discussions? Seems like the general discussion has lost a lot of participants but the genre ones we are doing so far seem to be catching more attention.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 9/14/2012 12:33 PM ET

I think it's just that no one read the last book. 

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/14/2012 4:56 PM ET
There isn't much interest in the latest list either. Maybe it'll pick up when it gets colder.
craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/14/2012 5:28 PM ET

I don't know what it is.  I pm'd four more participants for Prodigal Summer, but they aren't chiming in.  I plan to take a month off next month just because I have been reading only book club selections (and an occasional cozy) for almost a year now.  I just have too large a TBR pile that I want to get to.   Be back next month.  Hopefully more people will start posting.  The fun is in the discussion and the exchange of ideas.

debontheweb avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/14/2012 5:44 PM ET

I have the physick book of Deliverence    but haven't started reading it yet.   My allergies have been killing me, and I'm taking antihistamines, which regardless of what everyone says,  makes me drowsy.  So I haven't read two sentences in the past couple days.  

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 9/14/2012 8:23 PM ET

Another thing is since the books have to be available here it limits some really good books. I have a ton of books that I'm sure people would have more enthusiasm for and I'm sure you all do too but if they're popular they aren't available here in large enough numbers. I haven't seen (or been able to add) anything terribly exciting on the lists. Book clubs generally pick new books that a lot of people are wanting to read anyway and we're kinda screwed on that.