Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: February 2023 Health and Fitness

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2023 7:08 AM ET

I also use the lower sodium salt to help with my blood pressure but I rarely add any salt to anything unless I'm cooking from scratch, which I rarely do these days. I tend to eat more frozen style meals than I ever did before, for the convienence, but those do have more sodium than I like so once I've emptied the freezer I'll be trying to eat more fresh foods.

Teri, you have done so well with losing the 52 lbs. You should be very proud of yourself.

My weight is still climbing, ounce by ounce (243.6), and it's driving me nuts.This time last year I was a good 20 lbs. lighter. I've got to figure out what's going on so I can put a stop to it.

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2023 7:27 AM ET

I did a quick midweek weigh in & was down a bit. Thankful to still be going in the right direction. Weekends are usually when I mess up but we don't really have any plans so maybe not this weekend. I agree Teri sticking close to home helps me too. 

Vicki-I think you're on to something by not buying anymore frozen meals. I think once you give those up you'll notice a difference. 

Last Edited on: 2/24/23 7:31 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2023 8:32 AM ET

Good morning.

Teri, you are doing great.  Definitely a plus when you eat at home. 

I eat out with friends too much and usually at the end of the week.  I start off good and drop a little and then I eat out on Thurs., Fri., and Saturday, and I'm back where I started when I officially weigh on Sunday.

The frozen meals do have a lot of sodium, which fortunately isn't something that causes me problems.  But, I do think when I use a meal service and get the fresh meals, or buy the fresh individual meals at the grocery store, it's much better for me.

I dropped my Cookunity meal service for a bit and am going to either cook or buy the prepared meals at the grocery store (the fresh ones) for a bit.  It will be cheaper and as much as I liked Cookunity's food, the calorie count for most of it was higher on most meals than I would have liked.

Like you, Vicki, I need to figure out what is going on emotionally, or something, because I'm eating outside my fasting window fairly often and so I've gained back 4# since February 1. 

I can't blame the weather right now because it's nice and warm.  I'm struggling to make the gym 3x in a week too, which I know is because they don't have a trainer at my gym and I don't really want to go to one of the other clubs near me.  I hear we get a new trainer on March 2.

Might be the days I eat sugar that I end up eating outside my fasting window.  I know I need to just give up the sugar, but I can't quite seem to get there.  Every day is a new opportunity though.

Thanks for "listening."  Have a great day friends and 'stick with your goals.'

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/24/2023 11:10 AM ET

Each day is definitely a new opportunity! 

Yes, the frozen dinner entrees, while portion controlled, do have much sodium! When we lived in Vegas, and both of us taught full time, we discovered the ready to eat entrees at Albertsons. These were a life saver for two people who didn't have time to cook!

Don't give up hope to all of us working on weight loss!!!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/25/2023 7:07 AM ET

I'm at the highest this morning (245) than I've been in over 3 years. Not a happy camper at all. I know some is water weight but it doesn't change the fact that I've allowed my weight to climb so much. It might be time to do some purging of food items ( take them to the food bank). I really can't afford to get rid of it though so I'm going to have to really get my head in the game and watch what I'm eating and the portion sizes.

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 2/25/2023 9:16 AM ET

I made this recipe a few nights ago & thought I'd share here as it's a healthy one. All 4 of us liked it. I found it in a Weight Watchers cookbook.

Southern-style oven-"fried" chicken

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp salt divided
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper divided
1/3 C all purpose flour 
6 Tbsp low fat buttermilk (3 oz)
1/2 C cornflake crumbs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat 13x9 baking dish with nonstick spray. 
Season chicken with 1/4 tsp salt & 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl combine flour, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, & remaining 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Place buttermilk into one shallow bowl & cornflake crumbs into another shallow bowl. 
Dredge chicken in flour mixture coating both sides. Next dip chicken into buttermilk & turn to coat both sides. Last dredge chicken in cornflake crumbs pressing to adhere crumbs to both sides. 
Place chicken in baking dish. Bake 25-30 min. 

Last Edited on: 2/25/23 9:18 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 2/25/2023 9:21 AM ET

I woke up with a headache so probably will walk for my exercise today instead of a garage gym workout. It's much cooler this morning than it has been so I'll wait until this afternoon. Tonight I'm making Lisa's Dinner Club Brisket recipe for dinner. It's my first time with that recipe so I'm looking forward to it. 

Hope you all have a great day!

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/25/2023 5:15 PM ET

Tonight I'm making Lisa's Dinner Club Brisket recipe for dinner. -  I hope it's a success Shayla.

debbiemd avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 8:03 AM ET

I have been at my parents the past few days and there has been lots of eating out.  And ice cream.  And key lime pie.   I do not want to step on the scale any time soon! Good thing my mom does not have one.  We will not be eating out the next few days so I am going to increase my water intake, increase my steps, watch what I eat with the home cooking and hope it is not too bad when I get home later in the week. 

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 8:54 AM ET

Debbie, I wouldn't be able to be strict on a diet at my Dad's home so perfectly understandable that you enjoyed some pie!

Remember that I stopped eating bacon for breakfast for 3 weeks to see how if my BP was better?  It was running around 110-83, much better.  Yesterday I had bacon with breakfast. This morning my BP was higher, 133/92.   I'll recheck later today probably before I go out to shovel. I didn't have bacon today.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 8:59 AM ET

I'm starting out the week with an all time high of 246.5 lbs. Totally fed up. That's a 5.2 gain for the week and 11 lbs. since the 1st of the year. This week I'm going to work on just eating when I'm actually hungry and at no other time. If it's not true hunger then it's water or coffee. I've got to get a grip on the mindless eating.

Hope everyone has a good week and makes good progress in whatever your weekly goals are.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 9:34 AM ET

I won't make my end of February goal.  This morning I'm 4.2# higher than where I wanted to be the end of February (155).  I will have to double down and try very hard to make the end of March goal of 154.

I know I can do that.  I just need to get my intermittent fasting discipline back in line and cut the sugary stuff out.  I've realized there is a pattern.  If I eat something sweet (like a dessert or candy) during my eating window, then I rarely stay 'clean' in my fasting window.  If I don't have any sugar, I usually am able to refrain from eating during my fasting window.

Cause and effect - now to just take it to heart and learn to say "no" to the sugary stuff.

Vicki, give yourself some grace and just start fresh from where you are today.  Eating only when hungry is a great thing, but I know I need to identify why I'm eating if I'm not hungry.  For me that is often boredom.  So, a solution is to be sure I'm staying busy with something.  Easier said than done, I know.  :)

Focus. . . . focus. . . . focus - Let's make a plan and stick to it.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 12:36 PM ET

FOCUS.....a great word.

I shoveled this morning so I let myself have a half bagel for lunch, not a whole one like I used to. And no cream cheese. Just a little margarine. I am entitled to some carbs. Its supposed to snow again Monday night so I'm looking forward to the other half of that bagel.  Still at 199.

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 4:11 PM ET

I did my last weigh in for the month today & was down another 1.2 pounds since last Sunday.
On 2/5 I was 127, on 2/12 I was 127.8, on 2/19 I was 126.2 & today 125. I didn't hit my goal of 124 but will in March.
I've been pretty strict with the no sweets thing. Rob turned 50 on Feb 17 & some friends went in & got him a funny gift...a laundry basket with 50 Mountain Dews, 50 fun size Snickers, 50 fun size Reese's PB Cups & 50 fun size Hershey bars. I haven't had a single one. It's been super hard b/c I LOVE candy, but I'm fed up & super determined. I'm in the no more excuses phase. Now to stay there is the trick. I'm tired of words w/o action. Last night I was craving something sweet so I decided to eat an orange instead. The Cara Cara oranges I get at Aldi are so, so good.

Here's to another new week working on our goals & habits.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 2/26/2023 4:20 PM ET

I love Cara Cara oranges!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2023 7:41 AM ET

I'm down a pound from yesterday so focus is good. Just got to keep it up.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2023 8:21 AM ET

March Topic is open:

March 2023 Health and Fitness

Page: