Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: February 2022 Health and Fitness Support

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 9:26 AM ET

Good morning.  This morning's weigh-in was about where I was last October and about 8# lower than I was on January 1.  So happy about that, and hopefully it will motivate me to continue on with March.  Thanks for setting up the March thread Melissa.

Vicki, glad you've got the bed like you need it to be able to sleep comfortably.  I was thinking about you last night because I was tossing and turning and tossing and - you get the picture.  Anyway, I decided to move to the recliner to see if I could fall asleep.  Since I can't move around in the recliner I figured being still might help me fall asleep.  Anyway, made me think about you sleeping in a recliner for all those years.  I did fall asleep and then woke up like 2 hours later and moved back to my bed.  Kind of weird for me because I have a tempur-pedic mattress that I absolutely love.

Today's Goals:  IF Schedule (eating 11-3) - that's it.  Sunday is pretty much a day off for me.  Not that I don't do anything physical, but I don't necessarily try to get my steps in or anything like that.  My eating window will be more like 1-3 because I'll be in church (actually childcare) at 11 and then once I'm home I'll have to fix my lunch.  All good though.

BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 10:30 AM ET

February 2022 Health and Fitness Support Date 2/26/22
 (Updated day 25)
Good morning and another new day, Have a wonderful day, Hugs.
Time –10:43am 99 Bld Glucose – Time 2:10pm 91 Bldg Glucose
Weight: 188.2
Total for the day at 11:50pm - 1703 Steps - 0.66Mi -  94Cal burned
(Tracker restarts at midnight) Will update post at 11:50pm
Notes: 

February 2022 Health and Fitness Support Date 2/27/22

(Updated day 26)
Time –9am 95 Bld Glucose 
Weight: 
Total for the day at 11:50pm - 1990Steps - 0.77Mi -  110Cal burned
Notes: Goddaughter's house put togetther a coffee bar with her.

Last Edited on: 2/28/22 7:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Progress Report
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 12:34 PM ET

Here were the goals I posted for the week on 2/20:

Follow IF schedule, eat oatmeal every day except fast day, do the stretching basics exercise at least 6 days.

extra goals for today: finish clearing out behind my bed, finish verifying match between the boxes of books that I think are on my PBS bookshelf and my actual bookshelf on PBS. (Verification needed because I just checked on many books from my TBR to see about library availability, and posted many of them or put them in a box to be donated somewhere, and I am not sure that I got all of them physically moved.)

How did I do?

I did follow the IF schedule, except the 36 hour fast turned in to almost 40 hours because I didn't eat right away when it ended and then I was in class for several hours.

I didn't eat the oatmeal every day; I did not do well planning ahead and many days I ended up eating fast food or at the cafeteria.

I only did the stretching 3 days. (but without the goal, I wouldn't have done it at all!)

I didn't finish clearing behind my bed but I did almost all of it.

I did finish matching up PBS Bookshelf with the books in boxes in my closet labeled PBS Bookshelf. It took even longer than I anticipated, because I had forgotten that on PBS I had deleted all books with more than 2 copies in the system from the bookshelf, and I hadn't physically taken those all out. They are now out, and added to the pile that needs a new home. This is part of my prep for moving. I now have one less box of books on the PBS bookshelf.

But the pile of books that need a new home is very big now! I take some to work to share with my colleagues (mostly the YA ones that colleagues with children take), I have some set aside to go on a tour of local Little Free Libraries, and some (most?) will go to the Friends of the Library.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: And you?
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 12:54 PM ET

Yay, Ani!  I need to remember this too:  I didn't gain this weight overnight and I can't lose it overnight.  Slow and steady keeps it off! 

Shayla, not totally good news on the bloodwork, but more on that below.

Ginny, hard to meet goals on a trip! the winerizing of the coach made me smile.

Melissa, funny how you say you eat better at work. i eat better at home. At work there is the cafeteria - all you can eat and I feel I have to eat a lot to justify the price - or the food court (Chik Fil A, Subway, Panda Express, Moe's) At home I just have healthy food. also, we didn't get that holiday!

Vicki, my mom also just bought herself a new bed! (Well, really, she kept the frame, but it is a very old frame with a nonstandard size, so she had to order a custom mattress.) She really likes it.

Ginni, I'm about to retire, and the health plan I'll be on offers those nice rebates for doing fitness things too. 

I sleep in a recliner some nights because if I wake up with bad reflux, i have to stay propped up.

Al, I am so jealous about the volleyball. That used to be my main physical activity, until I blew out my knee. Eventually I got back to it. But then the church league fell apart, and after having frozen shoulders without getting full range of motion back, I think that is now not happening again.

Several of you mention needing to shake things up... I KNOW what I need to do to lose weight, but I don't want to do it. (cut out sugar)

I do weigh every day, but I have learned to just take the variety of weights in stride. I don't freak out over the up and down. But I like the weighing every day (if you don't let it make you crazy) because I learn a lot about how what I eat affects the weight next day. If I weigh just once a week I can't see that cause and effect. I also know if it goes up 3 days in a row I need to seriously look at what I have been eating!

I don't actually record the weight every day though!

Last Edited on: 2/27/22 12:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Future Goals:
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 1:03 PM ET

Well, about that bloodwork. I took another look at the past results and the TSH is climbing FAST over the past 3 years and is now above normal. Although the actual T4 level is still normal, with the TSH so high, it is clear that the thyroid is winding down as I age and the pituitary is working really hard to keep things going.... and all this may be the reason why the past couple of years more and more I wonder why I have not got the energy I used to have, and the weight keeps coming, and recently I sleep away whole days on the weekends. So next week I start thyroid medication. I hope it doesn't take a long time to get the dose right!

The scale was good today: 247. Not what I had originally hoped for by now (250.6 on 1/1 and I was hoping to lose a pound a week) but on 2/20 it was 248.6, so this was a good week, even though I ate a lot on the days I wasn't fasting.

Goal for 3/6: 246 pounds.

Habits for the week: continue IF, continue no artificial sweeteners, Feb habit of preparing 2 liters to drink still isn't automatic, so work on that.

Thinking of new goals for March, but not going to make the final choice till tomorrow, and start March 1.

My IF week is to fast every day from 7:30 pm till 1:30 pm the next day, starting at 7:30 pm tonight. Should be easy not to eat till 1:30 (I often do that) but stopping so early may be the trick! Anyway it will be easy to remember since it is the same all week.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 3:22 PM ET

BostonBooks, it's a good thing I don't try to update my step total right before midnight when it flips over.  I'd have to set an alarm to do that.  Lol

Margaret, seems like you made pretty good progress.  You were very aggressive with the goals.  Sometimes I can weigh every day and it's a good cause and effect indicator like you said.  Other times, I get consumed with it and need to take a break.  Regardless, my official weigh in for each week is just Sunday morning.

I kind of like it when the IF schedule is the same all week.  It is easier to keep up with and I seem to do better.  Always best for me to stop eating by 2-3 in the afternoon.  At least those weeks yield the best results.  Hope the new thyroid medication helps and that they get the dosage right quickly.  I'm sure you'll feel much better and have more energy.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 5:40 PM ET

I lost .8 pounds this week. I will weigh next Sunday.

43 oz of water

8269 steps

I crafted most of the day.

I did not reach my personal goals for this month. I need to reflect on what is keeping me from staying on track. 

Breakfast: English muffin, slice of American cheese, egg "fried" in a bit of butter

Lunch: side salad with raspberry vinaigrette, banana popsicle

Supper: French fries (fried in Crisco devil), ground beef patty with sauteed onions and garlic

Currently listening to piano music and drinking a cup of Pukka After Dinner. It aids digestion.

Last Edited on: 2/27/22 8:03 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 5:45 PM ET

Detroit Style Pizza

Thick crust, square pieces. The crust is slightly fried on bottom. It's pretty thick. The cheese and sauce go all the way to the edge. The crust is sweeter also.

"Detroit-style pizza is a thick, square-cut pizza with a crunchy, fried bottom layer of crust overflowing with delicious melted cheese. Like most rectangular pan pizzas served in America, Detroit-style pizza is a variation of the Sicilian pizza. Originally called “sfincione,” which means “little sponge,” Sicilian pizza has a fluffier bread base than most U.S. pizzas.

Detroit-style pizza sets itself apart from Sicilian pizza with its cheese-covered crust, which is typically so crispy that the cheese is slightly burnt, and its long, vertical streaks of sauce on top of the cheese. The result of this unique pizza style is a gooey, doughy center with a crunchy outer crust and caramelized cheese hugging its edges."

See this site.

Last Edited on: 2/27/22 5:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 5:48 PM ET

Several of you mention needing to shake things up... I KNOW what I need to do to lose weight, but I don't want to do it. (cut out sugar)! True!

My major vice is carbohydrates.

Melissa, funny how you say you eat better at work. i eat better at home. At work there is the cafeteria - all you can eat and I feel I have to eat a lot to justify the price - or the food court (Chik Fil A, Subway, Panda Express, Moe's) At home I just have healthy food. also, we didn't get that holiday! When I'm at work, I only eat what I carry, so I'm very intentional with what I carry. 

Last Edited on: 2/27/22 5:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 5:52 PM ET

March 2022 Health and Fitness Support

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 7:07 PM ET

Good afternoon/evening.   I'm struggling to stay awake because I didn't sleep all that well last night.  Decided to stream church and go to bed early.

Thanks for the explanation about Detroit Style Pizza.  Sounds delicious.

I think no matter where we eat, being intentional and planning are two keys that must be in place.  Hard habits to be consistent with.

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 7:54 PM ET

Intentionally making a good choice tonight...Rob & the boys are eating out tonight, I'm choosing to eat in. Tomorrow is my last weigh in for the month. I know I'm not going to make my goal but I sure wasn't going to blow it worse on fast food tonight. Especially knowing I'll be eating out tomorrow night for a church meeting.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 8:05 PM ET

yesheartI love intentional good choices.

TriGin avatar
Standard Member medalGame Moderator medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 8:36 PM ET

I grew up in Detroit and never heard of DTW pizza. ]

Suggestions to loosen things up - I have a March challenge - do one push up (any kind - military, knee bend, sofa/ hard surfice) for each day - AKA March 1st - do 1;  Mrach 15, do 15.

Anyone up for te chaallge?    I am a huge fan of the standing push up using my sofa.

goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/27/2022 9:18 PM ET

Got on the scale this morning and had gained 0 all week.  Not bad considering I was babying my back for 3 days!  I did a lot of walking yesterday and today but have been forgetting the pedometer so no idea how many steps.  I've set it next to wear I leave my glasses at night so I can remember to strap it on in the morning.

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 7:16 AM ET

Last day of February already! I did my weekly weigh in today. On 1/31 I was 128.8 my goal was to be 126 by today, I wasn't I was 127.4. I'm happy with the loss & no gain but not happy I didn't meet my goal. I have been thinking about how I can shake things up for March & will post what I come up with in the March thread.

BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 7:37 AM ET

February 2022 Health and Fitness Support Date 2/28/22

(Updated day 27)
Time –7:20am 91 Bld Glucose 
Weight: 191.4
Total for the day at 11:50pm - Steps - Mi -  Cal burned
Notes: Off i go to have surgery on my right hand for carpal tunnel surgery. Have my left done a while back now they have to do my left thumb, had my left ring finger done they call it trigger finger and carpal tunnel also. 

Update - I'm home and in pain, the pharmacy i use are delayed on my pain med, it hurts a lot and typing with one finger with my left hand is not working so well hahaha. Thank you for the prayes and get well thoughts. stitches comes off on the 15th. I will be staying with my daughter for a few days, can't do anything i'm a righty :(

Keep up the good work, will be thinking of you all. 

Last Edited on: 2/28/22 2:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
vavoice avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 9:13 AM ET

Yesterday's steps: 13330

This morning's glucose: 103

This month was good. I have gotten to the point where I don't miss my three-a-day soda habit. Since I started, I've only had three sodas. Hopefully, March will be just as successful :o)

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 9:54 AM ET

Good morning friends.  Last day for February and I feel like I've done okay with my new habit, but it does need some tweaking to be more effective.  I'll be working on figuring that out.

I did end the month one pound down from where I started.  A little misleading because I went up 4 pounds from the starting point mid-month.  So, I feel like I have sort of a net 5 pound loss.  Complicated math, I know.

I've kept up with my January habit of making my step goal 6/7 days every week.  Tomorrow I'll raise the goal by 500 steps.  I think sometimes getting those steps in is the hardest thing on my daily goals.  So important though, so I'll persevere.

Shayla, thanks for posting about the Jon Acuff podcast (episode 30 with Corinne Crabtree).  I listened to it last night and there were so many good take aways.  You are right, too, that it can translate to almost any goal. 

Today's Goals:  IF Schedule (eating 8-3); gym; and 8500 steps.

And, I've already been to the gym so 1/3 of the way there.  :)

Wishing y'all a great day whatever your goals for it are.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 10:02 AM ET

Yeah for intentional good choices Shayla.  I think being more mindful and intentional with our choices are where it has to begin.  Also, I really have to plan - which you sort of did by saying 'especially since I'm eating out tomorrow.'  Good job.  And any loss is a win, so good for you.  I think the closer we are to our ideal the harder it is to make those last few pounds come off.

Ani, no gain can be as big a win as a loss because it shows you that you are on the right track.  I bet this week will net a loss for you.

Ginny, I posted in March that I'll do the push-up challenge with you.

BostonBooks, if you posted you were having surgery today I missed it.  Sorry, but saying a quick prayer for you now that all goes well.

Al, I'm so glad you have settled into the 'no soda' thing enough not to miss it.  Success is such a sweet thing.

BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 2:07 PM ET

Updated my post above,

Thank you Lisa N.

Al, oh how i wish i can stop the ginger ale zero that i drink now, i get a 2 liter and will only drink that it lasts a few days i get only 48oz a day or less. i use to drink two 2 liter of diet coke a day, went down to a can and now got stuck on ginger al :(

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 3:45 PM ET

Al-that's great that you don't miss the 3 sodas/day! You did really well with acclimating to that b/c it didn't seem to take you that long. Good for you!

Lisa-Glad you got something out of the podcast.

BostonBooks-sorry you had to have surgery & are in pain. I hope you get your meds soon!

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 4:12 PM ET

Trying to catch up here before I jump into some of the things on my 'to do' list.  I was gone all morning and didn't get home until mid-afternoon.  I should do a grocery store run, but I'm not sure I'm up for it.  First up in doing some of my contacts for Bible Study Fellowship.

BostonBooks, hope the surgery went well.  I'm thinking it must of since I believe you posted after it would have been over.

I walked all around the mall, and we even walked over to the waterway to a restaurant for lunch (only half a mile or so from the mall).  Suppose that is why I don't feel like walking around the grocery store.  But, the upside is I only need 200 more steps to hit my goal for the day.

Done eating for the day too, so if I've hit 2 of the 3 goals for the day and I'm pretty sure I can log another 200 steps without even trying.

Later. . . . .

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 7:40 PM ET

Great motivation, tips, and support for this month. After today, I will post in the March thread.

37 oz water

6599 steps

Breakfast: Simply Carrot Cake bar (160 cal) and Premier Protein Shake (160 cal)

Lunch: Lean Cuisine--Mezzaluna Pasta (260 cal)

Supper: chicken breast with garlic potatoes, roasted Brussel sprouts with olive oil, and 1 roll with a pat of butter.

Last Edited on: 2/28/22 7:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
TriGin avatar
Standard Member medalGame Moderator medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 8:17 PM ET

Finally got on the scale - late in the day, fully clothed and after eating - no gain/loss over the month.  With the bathroom demolishion 14,233 steps today.  Also hit the Frequency/ intensity sessions as I tried to do those between removing linoleum from the floor.

Great job everyone.  See you in the march thread.

Page: