Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Technology & Science

Topic: Digital Readers

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vix022389 avatar
Subject: Digital Readers
Date Posted: 11/23/2008 12:00 AM ET

Does anyone have any information on the different electronic reading devices that are out? I was thinking about getting one but there are a few different ones and I am not sure which would be the best. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

-Vicky

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2009 11:39 PM ET

Here is a link to the newsletter for Project Gutenberg, which highlights most of the available readers:

http://www.pg-news.org/category/hardware/

It does not have the Kindle 2, but if you look at the NY Times or Wall Street Journal, there are many reviews published for it.

I like the Sony reader, but cannot justify spending so much for a device that will certainly become cheaper in the future.

ravensknight avatar
Date Posted: 5/7/2009 7:11 PM ET

It depends on what you are willing to pay and what you want it to do.

The Kindle DX was just revealed today. Oh my, am I excited. A 9.7screen, native pdf reader, wireless 3g connectivity, 4gb memory.

The downside, almost $500.

ravensknight avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2009 8:11 PM ET

The cheapest is probably the Cool-er E-reader. Only [and that is really sad] $250. What a steal, eh? :-(

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2009 1:19 AM ET

I haven't done my research (due to financial reasons-I probably be able to find out anytime soon). If you have one of these proprietary readers, are you allowed to keep the digital files and transfer them to your PC? Also, does anyone have information on the legality of digitizing one's own personal library? I remember that software is typically ok to copy for the sole use of the owner and it doesn't seem outrageous that it could apply to printed materials. Thanks!

ravensknight avatar
Date Posted: 6/3/2009 10:04 AM ET

Kindle uses a .azw format, which is only readable, as far as I know, on the Kindle. Amazon keeps a backup of everything you've bought too. So while you could move the .azw book to your computer, throught the usb port, you'd have nothing to read it with on your computer. And since it is proprietary, you couldn't transfer it to another computer or another kindle or even another reader. Unless you've gotten hacker software :-D  As for the Sony PRS stuff, I have no idea.

Digitizing your library. Hmm, good question. I know that I'm going around and finding the books I own in pdf format online for free. Cause I know I'm sure not going to buy the digital version all over again!

ravensknight avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2009 9:48 AM ET

Mr D,

I asked the "legal" question to my local sf bookclub group, which includes a number of programmers, history majors and a published author, and the answer I got was "it is still up in the air about the legality of digitizing your own library". However, it was pointed out that it is illegal to get your books from torrents[ie, other people] and even scanning your books might very well infringe on the copyright.

They suggested that you don't want to be the case that decides it all.  So proceed with caution...

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/20/2009 9:43 AM ET

Thanks Derrick,

I now have a Sony PRS-505, and it works great. After Amazon's recent meddling with the content of their customers' Kindles, it is a relief that the content available to my reader is not directly tied to the manufacturer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html?_r=1

rikostan avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 11:57 AM ET

I actually have older pocketPCs that I use. The only downside is that none of them work very well in direct sunlight. If you plan on reading indoors or lower light , you can pick up a used PPC for less then $75.

ravensknight avatar
Date Posted: 8/29/2009 8:28 PM ET

Just got a Sony PRS 505 myself. The irony is, I'm starting an additional job soon that is third shift. So when I won't be working, I'll be sleeping. No time for reading. Figures :-)

Generic Profile avatar
Ronda (RONDA) - ,
Date Posted: 10/1/2009 2:43 PM ET

http://gizmodo.com/tag/kindle/

well I have been following it for a little bit at the website above and finally did decide to get the kindle 1 at $150.  Not entirely sure how I feel about the being entirely tied to the amazon format, but I do like the kindle so far.  I like the delivery directly to the kindle rather than having to mess with another computer.

the irex entry on 9/23 has a comparison chart of 4 different readers.  Some of the other entries give similar info about readers.

Last Edited on: 10/1/09 2:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 2