Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: December Historical Fictions reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: December Historical Fictions reads
Date Posted: 12/5/2021 7:25 AM ET

Oh my no new thread yet.

I just finished a very good book   Island Queen by Vanessa Riley. Set in 1711-1825.  Based on the life of Dorothy Kirwin Thomas. Mulatto who becomes a freeman and frees her extended family. Excellent story. I have gave it 4.5 stars.  She travels many Carribean isles (Domnida, Grenada, Barbados, Demeara in South America, England and Scotland. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy HIstorical Fiction

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/6/2021 10:17 AM ET

I'm still working my way through Edward Rutherfurd's Paris.  I'm about halfway through.  sad

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2021 3:10 PM ET

Happy December!

Carolyn - Well, Rutherfurd's books are pretty epic and definitely not fast reads.  Good ol' Ed is pretty much my favorite author, and Paris is tied with London as my favorite Rutherfurd books.  I listened to Paris on Audible and was so glad I did as I love me some French thrown in here and there.  Actually, I think I've listened to it twice, and I never re-read books.  LOL! 

I'm still slacking on the reading.  I've made decent progress on my audio book, A Column of Fire by Follett (although I still have over 11 hours left to go), but I haven't picked up my other book in over a week - Mr. Timothy by Bayard.  I like it, but I don't.  I just need to buckle down and finish it. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/9/2021 7:18 PM ET

Reading The God of the Hive (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, Bk 10) by Laurie R. King.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/10/2021 9:17 AM ET

Ooh, that's one of my favortites in that series so far, REK!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/10/2021 2:43 PM ET

I'm enjoyed it, too, Carolyn.  Think it was the best one I've read by the author.  Now trying to finish my historical mysteries challenge.  Finally found an Asian one I want to read that was listed here but not in the library.  And, I need to check what I have read.  Don't think I have any in two time frames this year.  May drop this challenge next year.  While the categories keep me searching for something I want to read that meets the listing I want to focus what is on my book shelves which would help move books that I already have.  

Last Edited on: 12/15/21 10:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/16/2021 8:28 AM ET

Everybody must be getting ready for Christmas.  Anyway I finished Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, Bk 1) by Kerry Greenwood, an undeserved two star read.  Certainly a waste of time but I guess some readers like the series and it was made into a television series.  Don't like the television portrayals but thought I would give a book a try.  So it goes.  Onto  Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead, a novel from the 1960s.

Last Edited on: 12/17/21 9:49 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/17/2021 8:12 AM ET

Ahhh! I had Cocaine Blues on my TBR :(

I'm still working my way through Paris...

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/17/2021 3:56 PM ET

Building off our our location  challenges I have opened a new reading challenge

The New Challenge is up

3 by 3 by 3 Reading Challenge

This Challenge starts January 1, 2022 and ends March 31, 2022.

Building off our location challenges I thought we could have a challenge for multiple books read in a location. All Genre

Rules

Read 3 books in a single location (city, state or Country) over a 3 month period.  

You can have multiple list of 3 locations at anytime.

No credits needed just fun of seeing home mutiple locations you can read over a three month period.  You can post as soon as you start a new location.

Contest are welcome, contest can last for 1 month or all 3 months. Does not have to be location specific for contest, can be genre, time of year, number of pages, etc

Example

London

• London Book 1

Italy

• Italy Book 1
  • Italy Book 2

Texas 

• Texas Book 1
  • Texas Book 2
  • Texas Book 3

Sign up and make a link for you spot if you can. If you have questions you can ask in the new thread.

If you would like to sponsor a contest it is much appreciated

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/18/2021 4:01 PM ET

Carolyn:  You may like Cocaine Blues, particularly if you like the PBS series based on the author's series.  Check with someone else who has read the book and see if they liked it.

Last Edited on: 12/19/21 9:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/23/2021 6:49 AM ET

There is a new swap open for Historical Fiction and mysteries.  I hope you can come play.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2021 8:42 PM ET

Reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2021 7:07 PM ET

Well, it's the last day of the year, and I haven't finished anything!  In my defense, we moved into our new house 10 days ago, so for the past 2 weeks+ I've been tied up with that, plus, of course, there was also Christmas to contend with.  We are all settled, though, and one of my goals for 2022 is to READ MORE!  LOL!  I say that every year, but after packing, moving and unpacking the 174 unread physical books I had, I am strongly motivated.  I told myself I would only keep books that would fit on my bookshelf, and so after putting them all away, I had to set aside 25 to give to my mother-in-law.  It was hard to part with them, but I told her if any of them were REALLY good, she could give them back to me.  ;)  So, I am left with 149 physical books and who knows how many books on my Kindle and in my Audible.  I have also vowed not to acquire anymore physical books and instead only purchase Kindle books.  

So, to end the year, I am still reading The Beggar King and still listening to A Column of Fire both of which I will finish in January and hopefully make them fit into one of the HF Challenges for 2022.  

Happy New Year to all!