Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: December HF Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: December HF Reads
Date Posted: 12/2/2023 12:30 PM ET

Beginning The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis, a book that's been on my shelf for ages.

Last Edited on: 12/2/23 6:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/4/2023 2:11 PM ET

Hello, R E K, and all!  I am currently listening to The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis, and I'm reading Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/9/2023 8:02 AM ET

I am reading the Horus Killings by P.C Doherty set in 1800 BC, Egypt. Very well writting. I love all his books.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/9/2023 8:41 AM ET

I have posted the 2024 Historical Mystery Challenge 

Carolyn has posted her 2024 Historical Fiction Challenge 

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/11/2023 10:08 AM ET

Hello!  I finished Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.  Eh. I can't decide if I liked it or not.  It certainly wasn't very exciting, although it was interesting.  I found the writing style a bit odd, and I found the main character a bit flat - although I suspect that was the point.  Anyway, not a bad read, but certainly not a page turner.  I started reading Sing, Wild Bird, Sing by Jacqueline O'Mahoney.  This is another book that partially takes place in Ireland (as Brooklyn does).  I'm on a mission to finish up one of the 2023 HF Challenge categories.  Still listening to The Echo of Old Books. I'd like to finish that as I got a new audio book I'm eager to start, North Woods by Daniel Mason, that I am very anxious to dive into.  Unfortunately it is peak season for all my crafting podcasts, so I am really tied up in those.  LOL! 

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/12/2023 11:25 AM ET

I'm continuing with the Poldark series with The Four Swans.  The latest TV series, with Aidan Turner, was quite faithful to the books, so, nothing is new.  However, I am loving Winston Graham's writing style.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/15/2023 11:08 AM ET

I finished A Polluted Font by Mel Starr. 

. It was excellent set in 1377.  Lots of discussion of the Poll Tax introduced and the death of Edward III. As usual his glossary is excellent. He does a great job of describing the food of the time. I don't think I could eat it. Start with book one of series.  I highly recommend this series.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/20/2023 9:11 AM ET

Hello!  I finished Sing, Wild Bird, Sing, by Jacqueline O'Mahoney.  Pretty good.  Still listening to The Echo of Old Books. I'm not sure what to read next.  I still have three more categories in the HF Challenge to finish, but since I doubt I'll get three more books read by the end of the year, and nothing in the remaining categories is appealing to me right now, I might just go rogue.  We'll see how I feel when it's time to read this evening.  

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/20/2023 11:01 AM ET

Not HF, but I started The Great Bridge by David McCullough.  It's about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/24/2023 8:25 AM ET

Will be interested in The Great Bridge Carolyn.  Read many nonfiction titles this year and enjoyed the change from other genres.  Let us know what you think.  Hope all of you are having a Happy, Happy Holiday.  Finished The Borgia Bride.  This is my first book about the Borgias.  Wow!  This family was a strange one.  Really appreciated that the author noted most of what was fiction and what was not in her notes at the back of the book.

Last Edited on: 1/1/24 8:00 AM ET - Total times edited: 8