Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: December 2022 Health and Fitness

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/23/2022 10:59 AM ET

Well, I woke up to a chilly 16 degrees that was feeling like 2 degrees.  Since I won't venture outside the feels like isn't too important to me.  :)

No frozen pipes, but I left water running in 3 faucets.  Still running because I don't know if I turn them off, if the pipes could still freeze since we won't get above freezing today.  It is sunny at least, and dry, so no white stuff.

Margaret, I love the way you and your friend choose words.  The Dayspring thing gave me the word 'fulfilled' for 2022 and that was harder for me to see application for than 2021 word which was transform.  But, it turned out to be that kind of year - finding fulfillment in Christ and not looking for other things to give me that sense of fulfillment.  I'm not sure how freedom will play out, but I know I'm kind of an all or nothing/check the boxes girl, and I think freedom is going to mean not finding my self worth in things I'm doing .  Yes, Galatians 5:1 is the verse that immediately came to mind when I got the word.  I do think the development of the habits is good and many of the ones I did this year have been super beneficial to me, but it's easy for me to stray over to legalism so perhaps I have to learn another kind of lesson in 2023.

Appreciate would be a good word for all of us.  We can appreciate the successes, no matter how small they might seem.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/23/2022 12:14 PM ET

I won't complain about our 50 degrees but the wind is howling. Its supposed to dip to 18 degrees later today and stay cold with maybe an inch of new snow for the holiday. Glad I'm not traveling!

This afternoon I'm going to get all the Chinese food out and divide it up into portions. I'll keep out some but put some in the freezer. I'm trying hard to enjoy the chinese responsibly.  In the past, I'd sit down with the whole container and a fork. I probably shouldn't have gotten so much. I think I can pull this off.

Gee! The wind just keeps howling!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/24/2022 8:46 AM ET

Here in Titusville, FL. it is currently 32 degrees with a real feel of 21 degrees. Tomorrow will be about the same. But by middle of the week it's to be back in the upper 70's. Merry Christmas weekend everyone.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 12/24/2022 9:19 AM ET

Its 2 degrees here this morning. Many people are unfortunately without power in my area due to fallen trees. Not me, thankfully. The wind is blowing but I don't know what the wind chill is. I'm staying in my flannel pjs today. Not planning on going outside!  Thank God for potty pads!

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/24/2022 11:36 AM ET

I weighed 121.8 this morning. We're having rolling blackouts due to the severe weather. It was -2 yesterday and 3 this morning~I can't explain how that is really severe for us down here. Our homes are not insulated like those up north, nor do we have the clothing for such weather. We're most concerned for our animals and the beautiful songbirds. All of the water is frozen. David goes out about every 45 minutes to change the frozen water for thawed. I worry about him, too. He doesn't know when to come in from the weather. I keep reminding him that 30 minutes outside in this weather is too long. We cancelled our holiday plans, so it's just the two of us. I did cook a ham this morning before the blackouts began. I was hoping to cook some shrimp this afternoon. We'll see.

Last Edited on: 12/24/22 11:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 12/24/2022 1:01 PM ET

Melissa, I understand exactly how severe that kind of weather is for you.  Our houses aren't insulated to withstand this kind of cold either and I've been cold for days.

Envious of your flannel PJs Teri, but under normal circumstances I'd never need anything that heavy.  Yesterday I had two pair of socks and a hoodie over my shirt.  I just had yoga pants on, but I kept a blanket over my legs most of the day.  This was in the house with my heat set at 73.  I do not do cold very well.

I even left my blinds closed all day, which I hate to do, because I knew it would make the house stay warmer.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/25/2022 12:20 PM ET

Good morning! 119.8 this morning. I ate healthy for Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas everybody.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 12/25/2022 2:15 PM ET

All my holiday eating in December seems to have netted me a 5# gain based on this mornings weigh-in.  Although, I think some of that is just from last night's big meal and dessert, and eating late.

Will hope to rein it in this week and see a lower gain, or even maintained, for the entire month.

Merry Christmas everyone.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 12/25/2022 4:02 PM ET

I'm up 3 pounds. My official Christmas dinner is tomorrow. All the fixings, so I could be looking at having to re-lose 5+ pounds. Not bad. I'm not denying myself anything but trying to be reasonable too. 

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/25/2022 7:01 PM ET

My diet has been straight garbage for the last week or so. Lots of sugar consumption lately. And I think the chocolate I've been eating has come back to bite me. Last night I thought I was coming down with a sore throat, which seemed weird b/c I feel completely fine otherwise. Today I figured out my sore throat is probably caused from acid reflux. I went through an acid reflux issue earlier this year. So tonight out came the apple cider vinegar. Hopefully after a week or so it'll help like last time. I will step on the scale tomorrow knowing I've gained weight. It's been so cold here lately I haven't walked or worked out in the garage gym. Hopefully will be able to be back at it by mid week.

I hope you all have had a good Christmas.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 12/26/2022 10:53 AM ET

Good morning.  Hoping this week can have some better discipline and get me back to where I started December.

Shayla, your comments about the chocolate coming back to 'bite' you reminded me that I feel so much better when I eat better.  That should be motivating, but I guess it hasn't been the last few weeks.

Heading to the gym this morning and hope to make 3x this week.  It's hard for me when it's cold because I literally just don't want to do anything.  Cold makes me just want to eat and sleep, neither activity being in line with the habits I'd like to maintain.

Holidays are over for me though, so I don't have any excuses for not doing better.  If I can get through this week it will get easier.  I think the first week is hardest because I need to detox all that sugar.

Anyway - off to the gym, and I wish y'all a good day/week.  Teri, enjoy your holiday meal.  Reasonable is the key because when we deny ourselves that usually backfires on us.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/26/2022 4:16 PM ET

I weighed 121.0 this morning. I'm just trying to hold on. 

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Better walk tomorrow!
Date Posted: 12/27/2022 12:06 AM ET

I wrote a long post on Christmas Day, but lost it. 
On 12/25 I weighed 240.6, but I wanted to stay under 240 to start the year. But Mom had signed us up for Christmas dinner where she lives, so I thought, ok, I just have to watch it. This morning the scale said 240.6 again. But I haven't gone for a walk since the storm came in, so it is time!  I did errands, mostly for Mom, much of today. Then Wednesday I will do more. Then Thursday afternoon I take her to her colonoscopy. 

it snowed all morning and the driving was treacherous, but I made it through!

I do understand that the weather is difficult when the appropriate clothing and insulation aren't there. In Kentucky, we had a heat pump and it just couldn't keep up on a really cold day. Here I have a true furnace, and there is no problem with the cold, as long as I stay in. Of course, I don't know what my bill will be! I normally just wear jeans or slacks, but to go to the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, I put my fleece-lined leggings on beneath my pants, and I was very comfortable in spite of the cold.

Shayla, I get heartburn from too much chocolate too. And much chocolate has been consumed! But the stocking stuffers should be out of my house once my daughter comes and gets hers. She is coming this weekend, since the storm canceled the original plan of visiting for Christmas.

I need to decide this week about joining the gym if I'm going to get the club opening discount.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 12/27/2022 6:53 AM ET

As expected, I was at 205 this morning, a gain of 5 lbs.  I tossed out the apple pie, 3/4 of it left. I'm back on track today. I brought home leftover ham and mashed potatoes. 

My wrist watch is loose now. Its a stretch band. I like the ease of just slipping it off and on. Not sure if I can modify it. My Medic Alert bracelet is also hanging a lot looser. It catches on things which stresses the clasp. I should remeasure my wrist and get a new one. This one is looking a little beat up as I never take it off. It warns that I am allergic to halogenic anesthesia, which if administered triggers malignant hyperthermia.

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 12/27/2022 10:13 AM ET

Good morning.  Trying not to be consumed with the number on the scale this week, but just to stay with my IF plan and make good choices.  I was 156 at the beginning of December and hope to be there next Sunday when I weigh.  That will be a win for me, although I've been up and down 5# all month.

Margaret, I hate having to layer so it's good I don't live in a cold climate.  But, fleece lined leggings sound enticing.  :)   Hope the gym will work out for you.  I'm going to be getting a new trainer at mine and yesterday the old trainer didn't show up for work even though he was technically supposed to.  I was irritated about it, mostly because if I know he isn't there I go to a different club where there is a trainer.  I ended up just walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes.  I'll call today before I go to see if the trainer is there.

Teri, sorry you felt like you needed to throw the apple pie out, but I do understand it.  It's sometimes better to just remove the temptation.

ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/27/2022 11:28 AM ET

I did weigh in yesterday. I was 127. On 12/4 I was 125.2 so there has been some gain over the month.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Today
Date Posted: 12/27/2022 11:41 AM ET

Scale still says 240.6. Since I started the year at 250.6, that is still a loss of 10 pounds. Of course, on 11/30, the scale said 235.6, so I did gain from all the chocolate and the reduced walking. I ate a lot of chocolate yesterday and went a little outside of my eating window for IF, so I'm actually happy the scale didn't go up from yesterday morning. And I do have a mall walk planned for today.

I have now gotten almost all of the goals from this year into my app that keeps track of what I should be doing. So my goal for 2023 is to actually do all the things as they come up on the app, like going to bed before midnight, which has not happened recently. I don't expect to add more health goals for a while, except maybe one about gym use. I think it will be better to keep working on the ones from 2022 that I have only imperfectly added to my life. Unless you count some mental health ones related to some goals I have about taking better care of my possessions, like the fact that up north, there is so much gunk on the roads that I need to wash my car more... I will be adding some of those in 2023.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/29/2022 7:46 AM ET

Good morning. Our temperature is supposed to get up to 66 today. Woo hoo! It's not the sweets that get me, it's things like cheese balls, dips, and other savories. 121.2 this morning.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2022 9:44 AM ET

Well, it looks like the pounds you lost in 2022, Margaret, I gained, as I'm up 10.2 lbs from what I weighed last year on this date. Not really happy about it (238.6) but just praying in 2023 I get my act together and finally get this weight off once and for all. My ultimate goal is to get down to 175 lbs. So I have quite a few pounds to lose. I don't expect to lose that much (63.6 lbs) in 2023, but if I could actually get below 200 lbs. by the end of 2023, I'd be very happy. So that's going to be my goal for next year.

My biggest change is that I'm getting rid of 90% of sugary items. Sugar is in so much of what we eat and drink so it's going to be a challenge to do any better than the 90%. Mainly I'll be cutting out all drinks with real sugar in it and most of the diet ones as well. And cutting out 98% of all the cookies, cakes, pies, and candy. I will allow myself a sweet on my birthday in August. Anything beyond that, I'll take it day by day. My motto for the upcoming year will be "CHALLENGE". I'm going to challenge myself to do better every day than the day before, and keep that going all year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

LDN avatar
Lisa N. (LDN) - ,
Date Posted: 12/30/2022 10:23 AM ET

Good morning.  Sounds like well thought out and doable goals Vicki

I started the year at 162.2 and today I was 157.4.  My guess is I'll end the year down about 5#, maybe a tad more.  I started December at 156, and am hoping to start 2023 at 156, but not sure I can drop 1.4# in two days.  Looking back over the year, it looks like 154.4 was the lowest I ever achieved.  Too bad I didn't manage to keep it there.  I think I saw that weight twice in the year.

I hope to somehow break that 155 barrier for good, and maybe even the 150 barrier, during 2023.

Happy New Year!

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2022 10:39 AM ET

Still at 204 even though I hauled firewood yesterday. However, I found a flaw in my reset mindset......last 2 eggrolls for lunch and ice cream wirh hot fudge after supper! Ha!  The rest of the hot fudge went into the trash this morning. Okay! I'm back on track! I also tossed the rest of the leftover mashed potatoes my friend sent home with me. There's too much of it and its not that tasty as an aging leftover.

I kind of want something special for tomorrow night but what? I have a lot of cheese and pepperoni or I might just ignore the holiday.  I have a Digiorno individual cheese pizza in the freezer. Maybe if I'm good all day I will fix that for supper, with extra cheese and turkey pepperoni.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: What??
Date Posted: 12/31/2022 2:26 AM ET

So I ate sugar all day 12/27, after my eating window was over, I realized it and made myself some soup. Figured I would be up in weight, but no, on 12/28 I was down over a pound! 238.4 same weight 12/28. Overslept this morning and never caught up with myself, so never weighed. Did finally get exercise yesterday after several days without. 

Went shopping 12/28, saw all kinds of clearance Christmas candy, and didn't even want it, so that's a good thing!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2022 9:10 AM ET

I'm officially ending out the year at 236.4 so I'm 9 lbs. heavier than I was last New Year's Eve. Will be pushing myself hard in 2023 to get the weight off.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !! Let's make 2023 the year we all reach our goals.

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2022 5:26 PM ET

I weighed 132 pounds at the beginning of 2022. I lost 10 pounds this year.

It's been one year ladies. Here's to 2023:

January 2023 Health and Fitness Support

Last Edited on: 12/31/22 5:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: