Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - June Hot Topics

Topic: Dana Stabenow

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/7/2008 10:49 AM ET

Having grown up in Alaska, I picked up one of Dana's Kate Shugak books while in Anchorage several years ago. I immediately became a fan, since I "know" all of those odd characters from my childhood! They all struck me as real Alaska people. I like a mystery that I can also laugh with.

I had an opportunity to meet Dana at a book discussion in Arizona-turns out her college roommate was a high school classmate of mine....  I know the incident referred to above, and Dana's comment was that while writing it she didn't know it was going to happen, and when she finished writing the book she just sat and sobbed. Sometimes characters take on a life of their own.

Part of my reason for loving this series is that there are incidents in the book that Dana has clearly taken from real life...like the time the obnoxious tourist has her dog snatched by an eagle. My mother witnessed exactly that situation in Homer, AK a few years ago. :>)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/5/2008 5:21 PM ET

I love The kate Shugak series. I cried so hard reading the book concerning the incident. I have to disagree with most of you, I don't think they got better. I prefered it the way it was. I still love the books and will keep reading them.

Athena

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: The Kate Shugak books.
Date Posted: 6/7/2008 1:36 AM ET

They are a favorite of mine among the mysteries.  Yes, I love finding out about that particular small world.

I didn't seem to take to any of her other series.

I like books with feisty aggressive heroines.

Best,

Evy

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Dana Stabenow (Kate Shugak) books are the greatest!
Date Posted: 6/23/2008 2:09 PM ET

I really love all of the Dana Stabenow books and can't wait for her to come out with a new Kate Shugak!

I lived in Alaska for a while and that's when someone recommended her books to me and I was hooked

on the first one I read.  It helps that she lives in Alaska so that her descriptions are real and accurate!

I didn't seem to take to her other series.  I wish she would just devote her time to the Kate Shugak series.

I also like heroines who are feisty and strong!!

Last Edited on: 6/23/08 2:13 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: