Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: Cookbook to discuss is Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, ...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 7/20/2012 1:14 PM ET

I can see the cookbook from here but cant find the energy to get up.

Lol, I can identify with that statement. 

catlingmex avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2012 8:49 AM ET

I made the Perfection Salad on page 260.  Growing up, there would often be some version of this salad at "fancy" family dinners and what-not, but as I recall it was usually made with lemon and/or lime Jell-o; this is supposedly the "original" recipe and calls for Knox unflavored gelatine.  What I made was, understandably, less sweet than what I remember -- more of a salad than a dessert.  I´m not terribly fond of jello salads, but I made it as kind of a "blast from the past" thing for a (non-fancy, this time) family dinner.  I used purple cabbage (see photo), which made the whole thing pinkish and prodoced  a striking color scheme, but if I made it again (not planning to anytime soon) I´d try regular green cabbage so that the transparent character of the plain gelatine would shine.  On the same page of the cookbook they give some variations; I may try the Olive Perfection Salad or one of the others some day, but probably not anytime soon.

(edited for formatting :-P )

Last Edited on: 7/21/12 8:55 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
catlingmex avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2012 8:59 AM ET

... I have to say it was probably one of the most unhealthy sandwiches I can imagine. 

LOL I just had this very same thought the other day as I was enjoying a guilty pleasure I only allow myself once a year or so:  An English muffin peanut butter  M&M sandwich.  (Toast muffin, slather on pb, sprinkle liberally with M&Ms, put top of muffin on, allow hot muffin to melt chocolate. Ahhhh...)

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2012 9:16 PM ET

Making Cornish Game Hens and Spanish Rice tonight for dinner. Will update later with results.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/22/2012 11:24 PM ET

Ok I made the Tyson Cornish Hens Steamed in Foil on pg 132 and the Spanish Rice on pg 220. The hens were pretty good but the recipe is way over estimating a serving. It says one hen is one serving but we ended up with about a lb of pulled meat to make chicken salad with once it was all said and done. Half a hen is a more accurate serving. Other than that they were pretty good but a little too much work to make considering it just tasted like an herb roasted chicken breast, even the legs and thighs are white meat. The Spanish Rice is going into my permanent repertoire of recipes, I can't believe I've been making it from a box mix all these years when it's so simple to make. It was really good, like I went back for seconds good. I usually serve Spanish Rice with my Mediterranean Chicken so from now on I'll use this recipe for the rice.

charoo avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2012 9:25 PM ET

I've made the Cherry Cheese Pie on page 414 and it has been a favorite in my family for many, many years.  This is my dad's official birthday "cake".

My official birthday cake is the German Sweet Chocolate Cake on page 433 with a double recipe of the Coconut Pecan Filling/Frosting on page 434 so that the tops and sides of the three layer cake can be frosted with this magical frosting.  This cake takes a little time, but you will be SO WELL REWARDED.  It keeps for a week or two in the fridge as well.  

I cannot tell you how many times  both of these recipes have been made in my family, always to rave reviews.

I think it is a testament to this book that both of these family favorite recipes are included.  I can't wait to make something else!

Charlene

4buttercup avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/26/2012 2:13 PM ET

I needed something fast and easy last night and I had some pork on hand so I made the Quick Sweet & Sour Pork on page 96. It was pretty good - even my picky eater finished it without complaining.

I used a little less than the 1/2 cup of corn syrup and I would probably reduce it a little more. The end result was a little too much sweet and not enough sour. Also I didn't have green pepper available so I substituted frozen peas. My younger son who doesn't like peas actually ate them. All in all I think this will be a keeper.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/29/2012 11:03 PM ET

I made sunshine chicken tonight, well a modified version of it at least. I got the stuff to make it and then realized it's a grill recipe, I don't have a grill. So I baked it at 425 for 40 minutes flipping it halfway through instead of grilling it. It was pretty good, anything wrapped in bacon is going to be good, but the glaze was a bit over powered by the bacon taste. I think next time I'll get pineapple rings and chicken cutlets and make a ruoulade with this glaze on the inside of the chicken and see how that tastes.

tsatske avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2012 12:29 AM ET

Chris,

About the Cornish hens - this is a pretty old book. Do you think maybe Cornish hens might have gotten bigger? Just a thought.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2012 1:24 AM ET

I dunno Latricia but these hens were all at least 1.5 lbs which is way more than any of us were able to eat.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2012 6:36 PM ET

Chris, next time a recipe calls for a grill, broil it instead of baking it.  It will come out a little crisper on the outside, closer to what grilled would do.

I usually take the hen and cut it in half to serve the two of us without leftovers.  The ones I have in the freezer are about the same as Chris', about a pound and a half each.  Even taking out the weight of the bones, it is still at least 8 oz of meat per person.

I looked at the Sunshine chicken, and I think I will try it with a cornish hen.  I will use orange juice instead of pineapple though.  Thanks for the idea!!

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 8/18/2012 6:33 PM ET

Still cooking everyone? 

I made Country Style Chicken Kiev on page 142.  I had to change it a little as it had more fat than I am used to.  A lot of these recipes are more fat than we eat today.  So, I cut down the amount of butter in the sauce, and just made a little less sauce.  The green onions and parsley added a fresh taste, marvelous!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 3:17 AM ET

I haven't cooked anything since the last recipe I tried from this book. I've been working too much. I haven't read much or finished the baby blanket for the kid due two weeks from now either.

charoo avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 12:07 PM ET

I'm sorry to say I haven't really made anything new from this book, but I've enjoyed reading about others endeavors.  I will try to make something this week.

Charlene

tkhooper avatar
Date Posted: 11/14/2012 6:55 AM ET

The last thing i need is another cookbook; but, I couldn't resist this one.  I've frequently found that the best recipes are the ones on the packages of ingredients.  For example the marshmellow creme recipe makes the best fudge and Libby's 100% pumpkin recipe makes the best pumpkin pie.  So this is a book I couldn't pass up.  I'm sure I can put up another bookshelf somewhere.

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 11/14/2012 3:48 PM ET

It does have some good stuff in it.  It isn't in the book, but I made some tasty pumpkin bars from a recipe off the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk site.

Pumpkin Bars

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/14/2012 4:25 PM ET

With Thanksgiving coming up I may have to go back through this and find a good new recipe to make for turkey day.

tkhooper avatar
Date Posted: 11/17/2012 9:13 AM ET

Well it may have to wait until pay day but here are the ones I must try:

Vegetable Nut Pie page 196, Ham Corn Bread Pie page 195, Breakfast Sausage Apple Pie page 193, Chalet Casserole page 187, Tuna Croquettes page 185, French Egg Nests page 181.  Ok, I give up I'll just cook everything that doesn't have an ingredient in it that I don't like. 

Why am I over the moon with this book?  Well it's timing to a large degree.  I love to eat out but can't afford it anymore so what I make at home has to top what I can get at resturants.  At least until I win the lottery.

Thank you for this thread it is lovely. 

tkhooper avatar
Date Posted: 12/13/2012 11:47 AM ET

I know everyone else is done with this thread but I love this book.  I just made the orange carrots and it is suppose to serve 6.  I'll be lucky to serve 2 it is fantastic.  I used the cutie oranges and they are fantastic in it.  I also used Grandma's Molasses for the syrup.  I won't be able to keep carrots in the house with this recipe. 

Page: