Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Freethinkers, Atheism, Agnosticism

Topic: "Church" Vacation (like "School Vacation")

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2013 8:02 PM ET

Here it is August again, and I wondered if some of you who check in on this Forum would get a chuckle out of an old U-U joke that is timely at this season . . . .

Many Unitarian-Universalist fellowships observe an unusual  "canonical calendar"----they  don't hold any Sunday services during July and August.

People, upon hearing of this practice, are sometimes perplexed and inquire about it.  And so the U-U will explain to the non-U-U---"You see, "U-U's are the only ones God can trust to be on their own for a couple of months."

Last Edited on: 9/1/13 10:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sevenspiders avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/8/2013 9:20 PM ET

When I was a kid I asked our family pastor in all seriousness if he was allowed to do reruns of sermons in the summer, the way the tv stations end their seasons and spend the summer airing reruns and syndications.  It made total sense to me, but I think I offended him.

TropicAtHeart avatar
Date Posted: 8/28/2013 6:37 PM ET

Ha! That's a good one! May dad is a pastor, and sometimes, when I was growing up, our church used to have "Sunday School vacations" in the summer, so we didn't have to go to church until 10:30, which was awesome ... but sadly no "Church Vacations".

Now I conseider every Sunday a "Church Vacation"! Ah, sweet freedom :-)

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 9/1/2013 3:35 PM ET

Spiders, do you think anyone would notice if they were repeated? Do people really listen to those things?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/1/2013 10:00 PM ET

Melva:  I have one acquaintance who, when asked what church he attends, always promptly tells his questioner that "Oh, I'm a Krogerite."

(If your community has Kroger grocery stores, and you visit one on a Sunday morning . . . . .)