Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Foreign-Language/World Literature

Topic: Books in Spanish and the PBS members that have ;em

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Books in Spanish and the PBS members that have ;em
Date Posted: 3/23/2013 12:19 AM ET

Hello! I am looking to friend people who regularly read and offer up books in Spanish (for adults, not kids). I have a lot of trouble finding good Spanish language books in the search function (keep finding dictionaries and kids books..), so figure this is a good way to meet people and have a little Spanish language trading circle. I get Spanish books for my mum. She loves mysteries, adventures, general lit, not much romance so Corin Tellado is out :P But she lovesss Nick Sparks! There are lots of "pop books" that she is dying to read in Spanish eat, prey love, Water for elephants, kite runner, etc).  

makenzie avatar
Date Posted: 4/21/2013 3:37 PM ET

I don't know that you will get much of a response here, as this forum seems pretty dead. Unfortunately, I do not think that I have any Spanish books currently posted that would interest your mom, but I did want to say that you can exclude genres when you are searching, which may help. If you look to the left when you do a search, you will see the option to "Exclude multiple genres." You can use this to filter out the children's books, reference, etc.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: oh
Date Posted: 4/24/2013 1:14 AM ET

Thanks! I will try this

Cattriona avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/3/2013 5:32 PM ET

This is a newer subject heading, so in case you're not familiar with it: Literature & Fiction  > Foreign Language Fiction > Spanish.  There is still a lot of stuff in there that is not in Spanish, because bad data's been pulled from another source, but I'm working on getting it cleaned up.

Other than that, try searching for title words/translations in Spanish, such as "Como Agua por Chocolate" rather than "Like Water for Chocolate", etc.

You might also try clicking on the publisher link when you find a book in Spanish, to find others by that publisher. For example, Lectorum is one publisher that does books in Spanish.

Here is a Spanish edition of "Eat, Pray, Love", in case it helps: http://www.paperbackswap.com/Come-Reza-Ama-Eat-Pray/book/1598209590/

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/10/2013 10:03 AM ET

Hola Valery,

I'm also looking for books in Spanish, so thanks for posting. This has been helpful :)