Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: Book to read in June is Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 11:50 AM ET

I'm done with Big Stone Gap. I'm going to pick up in a "bodice ripper" book before we get to our next one. I'll agree with Barb. They've been a bit tame for me.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 1:20 PM ET

I chose Anthony Bourdain's new book for my next one, I needed some unpleasant people. Someone cranky and rude. All that niceness was hurting my brain, lol. That's gonna be my biggest criticism of the book, everyone was too damn nice, even when they shouldn't have been. 

AZmom875 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 2:31 PM ET

I havent started reading yet  BUT I love and prefer first person...

debontheweb avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 2:50 PM ET

Carole,   Maybe we could do a 'bodice ripper'  book discussion.   I'm up for those on occassion.  

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 4:52 PM ET

Oh, yuck, I'll pass on romance novels.  Although if it wasn't for the skeleton in this one, it might have qualified.  You go ahead though!

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 5:55 PM ET

I don't do remances either. This one was pretty close to the edge. 

debontheweb avatar
Date Posted: 6/29/2012 9:25 PM ET

Oh, I'm sorry it was Carol, not Carole.     To each  her own.  I can't read about people who have led tormented lives.  Prefer a little fluff in my own tormented life.

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2012 3:52 PM ET

Deb, I'll have to say romance are my favorite.cheeky

I've been trying really hard to read other genres this year. I have to admit that none of the other genres I've read this year (classics included) have the emotional punch of a romance. I always finish the books thinking that it was an OK read, BUT I could have used that time for doing something more important. I have a tissue grading scale. 0 tissues = waste of time, 1 tissue = good, 2 tissues = very good, 3 tissues = I wish I could read it again!

My DH prefers I read romance too. (He can always tell when I'm reading a romance?!?!)devil

I want to slip in a couple of Apocalypse books. Surely they'll rate a tissue or two.

Last Edited on: 6/30/12 3:56 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 6/30/2012 7:31 PM ET

I have the exact opposite feelings about romances, lol. That's cool though, if we all liked the same things it would be awful boring. And you would never get your WL books because they would be on everyone's WL!

I didn't hate this book, it was alright, but I didn't feel any better off for having read it. I have a real hard time identifying with the south too, it's like a foreign country to me. 

debontheweb avatar
Date Posted: 6/30/2012 8:00 PM ET

Anyone read the Sookie Stackhouse books?   We just got the series on Netflix.  I'm not a prude, but HBO did put more sex into the series than I remember in the books.    It is fun to see how the characters look in the HBO series,  vs in my imagination.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2012 8:46 PM ET

True Blood and the Sookie series have almost nothing in common except for character names and places. I've read almost all of the the Sookie series and can tell you for sure that after season one they don't really even tell similar stories anymore.

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 8:21 AM ET

Well, I'm a goose. blush I just realized I read Home to Big Stone Gap - book #4! Am I way behind on caffeine or what? Luckily, the library has book #1 available. Plus I don't need to worry about spoilers. (No wonder a couple of characters showed up out of nowhere as if we, the readers, were suppose to know who they were with little to no explaination!)

Last Edited on: 7/1/12 8:21 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
AZmom875 avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 10:07 AM ET

I have read sookie stack house books one and two, but have never saw the HBO show.  

I am not overly found of true romances,  I need some quirky characters. 

I really like time travel books,  and I read one, but the yearning burning romance part annoyed me.. You know like he brushed her arms and tingles go through her body etc..  I am also not real found of molten, or melting descriptions or worlds vibrating and I get very offended if they use the real names of the body parts like scotum or vulva OMG who says that ?  Maybe your doctor, or your gyno for an exam but not in the midst of things hot and heavy, it is too clinical for me.  But  also hate his member throbbed, or flower or whatever.  So yep romances are not my thing.

Also one of the most annoying books with romance was book one is this series.  I was annoyed cause as vampires they could not really have sex unless they were bound to each other, so the dang author has them have wild passionate sex in a dream and  a few scenes where they come close, but when the finally decide they love each other No sex.... what is the deal with that?   Oh yeah I get it they were married so heck no sex.    SO I purged the rest of the books in that series. 

I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart, Oklahoma, Bk 1)
Author: Michele Bardsley

Ok one more gripe about Meg Cabot in this book.  Loved the whole premise and the chick lit thing where she screws up her life, and then fixes it all, but what really annoyed me is that right near the end when the two decide they kinda like each other they have sex in the winery during a party.  Yep we like each other so lets do it now.   Oh that was so cheap and meaningless.   So I wasnt interested in reading the rest of the series, but that is ok I see in book 3 she gets married

Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, Bk 1)
Author: Meg Cabot

Last Edited on: 7/1/12 10:09 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
AZmom875 avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 10:14 AM ET

Oh and one more thing.  If I read one more book about a divorced over 40 woman, finding passion later in life, and that man is also over 40 and they do it like 3 times that night and again in the morning.  I am going to scream.  

Cause I know my 46 year old man is not 22 anymore.   Heck neither am I?  But even at 22 I had some smelly stuff going on the next morning.   I also see that quality is so much better than quantity.  

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 5:25 PM ET

Oh yeah, you gotta love media sex where no one has morning breath, bed hair or sticky parts, lol.

I almost did the exact same thing DW! When I was ordering the book I accidently clicked on Home and I would never have noticed if I hadn't looked at the sender's other books and saw Big Stone Gap on the list. I had to go back and look and I had the wrong book. If I hadn't have looked or they hadn't have had the other book too I would never have noticed when it came either. 

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 8:25 PM ET

I was just watching a British show - The Book Show - and a comedienne and writer I like was speaking about her fear of classics. The guy interviewing her handed her a Bronte book and asked her to read it and she asked if it was silly, he said yes, it can be, and she tossed it. She said she hated silly books. And I thought Yes! That's exactly it! I dislike silly books and I find romance and 'heartwarming' stuff silly. Nothing against those who like things like that but it's just not my cup of tea. 

debontheweb avatar
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 10:21 PM ET

triple post 

Last Edited on: 7/1/12 10:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
debontheweb avatar

Silly is my favorite.  

debontheweb avatar

triple post 

Last Edited on: 7/1/12 10:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 10:26 PM ET

I dunno if I have the same definition of silly as they do. Dr. Suess is silly, romance novels are cheesy at their worst but there are some well written ones that are just not my cuppa and they aren't silly, boring but not silly.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 11:24 PM ET

Silly in the British context tends to mean more along the lines of without a purpose, trite. A waste of time. She was calling Bronte silly. 

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/4/2012 7:30 AM ET

I've got book #1 now, and a whole day to get started on it. So I'll sneak in late to the discussion forum, but probably be able to swing in this weekend. Didn't seem like a terribly hard read and since this one is set in the 1970s, I think I'll like it more than book #4 which is contemporary. Comtemporary fiction is one of the hardest genres for me to fully enjoy. I think I like authors that take greater leaps in imagination by writing in the past / in  flashbacks (The Summerhouse), writing supernatural (early Anita Blake novels) or parody (Hello, Christopher Moore), or covering multiple plotlines (The Grapes of Wrath).  

Last Edited on: 7/4/12 7:41 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/11/2019 12:40 PM ET

kathyk avatar
Date Posted: 7/11/2019 12:40 PM ET

kathyk avatar
Date Posted: 7/11/2019 12:41 PM ET

Last Edited on: 7/11/19 12:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Page: