Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: A Book as an Antidote?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: A Book as an Antidote?
Date Posted: 9/26/2014 9:11 PM ET

I've been reading a hideous book, and it's a little like having to swallow something utterly repulsive.  I have decided I need an antidote, because a purgative won't work because it's memories of the ugly contents I would like to wipe away.  So, for my next read I've chosen Mrs. Queen Takes the Train, by William Kuhn.  It's about "the Queen's (Her Majesty Elizabeth II's) inner life, the Downton Abbey-style tensions between servants and royals, the old guard and the new.  The servants are the real stars here, distinguishing this from other Elizabethan imaginings.  Royal watchers and students of class alike will enjoy this smart . . . tale."  (Publisher's Weekly

I need this before I go back to my two reading challenges, or a tome on economics I'm working on.

Last Edited on: 9/30/14 5:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2014 4:16 PM ET

I found a Time Reading Program edition of The Big Sky by A B Guthrie here in pbs. I just requested it today so it will probably take a while to reach me. I was really happy to find it in the TRP edition. Those are sturdy editions.