Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: August 2023 Health and Fitness

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Good news
Date Posted: 9/19/2023 2:31 AM ET

Passed the BMI test with flying colors. I took off my shoes to weigh and was wearing a blouse and skirt of very light fabric. So then they approved the surgery and took a lot of X-rays to help them measure so the can have a template ready for the surgery. Some of those positions were quite painful. 

I then spent a great deal of time at Menards buying stuff for several projects, but suddenly when I got home I was completely out of energy and did nothing more!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/19/2023 10:59 AM ET

Glad it all went as you wanted Margaret. Do you know yet when you'll have the surgery?

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Surgery
Date Posted: 9/20/2023 12:36 AM ET

They are supposed to call me later this week to schedule the surgery. I assume they do some planning with all those measurements they took via X-ray and decide how long the surgery will take before they call me. But I asked about the fact that I have my colonoscopy scheduled for October 18, and he said I should wait till after that, though he had said it would be in 4-6 weeks, so that is about right.

Last Edited on: 9/20/23 12:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2023 9:22 AM ET

Keep us updated on how you're doing.

I'm 248.3 today. Now to just keep it going down.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Arg
Date Posted: 9/22/2023 6:34 PM ET

They finally called yesterday and said first available time was December 8. Not what I wanted, but I took it and also put myself on the cancellation wait list.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/23/2023 9:14 AM ET

The day will get here before you know it. Hope you're feeling better.

I'm 248 today. I yo-yo a little in between posting here with weight numbers but hoping by the end of the month to be down a couple more pounds.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Insurance
Date Posted: 9/25/2023 12:14 AM ET

I was switching insurance in January, so I don't know now whether I should put off the surgery ... bother.

I gained a bit...weighed 231.0 this morning so I lost it. But I'd like to keep losing. I need to go back to some of those habits...

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/25/2023 12:42 PM ET

I ended up down 1.7 lbs. for the week. Hope to keep it going in the right direction.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/25/2023 1:23 PM ET

195.0 this morning. I see Nephrology Wednesday. After that I won't feel that I have to be so strict. I desperately want a good weigh in.  Friday I'm meeting old friends for lunch so the timing is good.  Being Friday, I know the pub will have fish fry and sweet potato fries  Then on Oct 3 I see Cardiology for my blood pressure. It's normalized so I expect he'll want to decrease meds. I don't know how I feel about messing with meds. I haven't seen him for a year so he'll be pleasantly surprised by my weight loss.  That will be my last doctor visit for 4-6 months. A little breathing room since the difficult holidays are not far away.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2023 9:03 AM ET

Teri, you have come so far. You're doing awesome.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Stretch zone
Date Posted: 9/26/2023 2:02 PM ET

I signed up for a free session at the Stretch Zone for this afternoon. I'm hoping this will do something about my hips. They are so tight I cannot cross my legs when sitting.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/27/2023 8:46 AM ET

Hope it helps Margaret. I'm doing my yo-yo thing right now with my weight. Gets so frustrating. Back up to 251.2.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Wow
Date Posted: 9/27/2023 12:43 PM ET

The stretch zone visit really helped. I crossed my legs without even noticing afterwards! So today they have a pop up of $99 for three visits. And my HSA will pay. So, I believe I will be getting this deal.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2023 2:53 PM ET

I had a good Nephrology appointment today. My doctor was impressed! I've lost more weight AND my blood work had better numbers!  My kidney filtration rate was better, which is always good!  Hooray!!!  I went to Peter Harris afterward to see if I could find clothes for my upcoming trip to Tucson. I found some light jeans for $13, some light shirts for $3. I saved $100. 

When I entered the mall, a fire alarm was sounding...very loud and penetrating. It turned out to be because of a popcorn making machine at the cinema at the end of the mall. What worried me and made me feel heartsick was all the dogs in the pet store there as I came in the mall.  It lasted 5-10 minutes.

Last Edited on: 9/27/23 2:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2023 7:50 AM ET

Glad your appt. went well Teri. And good deal on the clothes you got.

I had a mishap last night. Was taking off a too tight ring and wrenched the knuckle badly plus it feels like one of the small bones right at the first knuckle on top broke. My finger is so swollen I can't straighten it out and I made the mistake of putting a larger size ring on that finger before the swelling started and now I can't get it off. I'm going to have to wait for the swelling to go down first. Hopefully the pain will ease up. I'm not going to the doctor over it. Once I get the swelling down I can get the ring off and then I'll put a finger protector on it. But I've got to get the swelling down first. But it'll be ok.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2023 9:20 AM ET

Icing the finger helped. Still swoolen a good bit, but the stabbing pain is gone, so it was just a sprain. Nothing cracked or broken, thank goodness.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: End of the month
Date Posted: 9/30/2023 1:26 PM ET

I've gained! Not what I wanted, but I'm up to 234. So I need to cut back on sugar again.

Teri, glad your appointment went well. 

Vicki, I'm glad your finger is better. I hope it continues to heal quickly. 

Should we start a new thread for October?

Last Edited on: 9/30/23 1:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 9/30/2023 6:55 PM ET

I had a nice lunch out with friends yesterday. So I'm up a pound as a result. Sigh.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: October
Date Posted: 10/2/2023 12:41 PM ET

I forgot to record yesterday, but today the scale is back down to 231.6

Sure would like to be 225 or less before surgery. It is time to get serious about the exercises to strengthen before surgery. I let those all go during Covid and haven't gotten those routines set back up yet.

Daily Goals for today: 

• eat oatmeal
  • do RespErate
  • set up pill boxes for the week
  • do PT exercises
  • set up Stretch Zone appointments

wow, managed one out of 5! Try again tomorrow! In my defense, the Stretch Zone seemed to be down.

Last Edited on: 10/3/23 2:46 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2023 7:51 AM ET

Margaret & Teri, I started the October thread for Melissa. Join me there.

Page: