Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: August 2014--what's on your classical agenda?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: August 2014--what's on your classical agenda?
Date Posted: 8/8/2014 3:32 PM ET

I'm reading a book of Jack London short stories and Sir Walter Scott's Bride of Lammermoor.

I'd posted previously how much I'm enjoying London (to the point where I've ordered a t-shirt that features his picture). In addition, I'm pleased that I'm understanding Sir Walter Scott's writing (there had been some apprehension on my part).

What's everyone else tackling?

Rose

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/8/2014 5:46 PM ET

I'm about 1/2 way through Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis. I was interrupted by a library book of The Storied Life of A J Fikry by G Zeven which is a fairly new book so it can't be mentioned here even though I just did it. I have A Rope ---in Case by Lillian Beckwith going also. I am very near the end of that one. I haven't enjoyed this one as well as The Sea for Breakfast. That might be her best one. I have Women at the Pump by Knut Hamsun queued up next. It has been so many years since I read that book I don't remember much of it.

I tried to listen to an audio disc of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce but I kept falling asleep while it was on so I had to give it up. I might read it sometime if I find it in paper.