Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: April 2024 Health & Fitness Chat & Support

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
jacci-jerri avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/22/2024 4:47 PM ET

Everyone seems to be doing so well!  :)  I am still on my new plan.  I had to make it simple as my focus is on recovery for my legs, exercise, etc not cooking.  

I have the choice of eggs and fruit or greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast.  For lunch I eat a turkey or tuna sandwich on 35 calorie bread along with something like celery, a few baby carrots, and a little fruit.  For dinner a Lean Cuisine and a salad or vegetable.  For treats I'm having herbal tea (hugs to Teri for a crazy awesome selection) or a sugar free popsicle.  

It feels like a good fit so far.  I haven't had a weigh in yet but I'm hopeful.  Good luck this week to everyone!  

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/22/2024 4:55 PM ET

Nothing to report here other than doing my best every day. And my dog caught a mouse. Very proud! Getting yardwork done while the weather holds.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2024 9:37 AM ET

Teri & Jacci, Just keep it up. You can do it.

Today I'm at the same weight as yesterday, which is ok since it's not a gain. I did eat a little more yesterday calorie wise so I'm sure that's why the scale didn't move. Not enough to hurt but too much to show a loss. So I'll keep the calories down less than yesterday and see what it shows tomorrow. I do have to stay under 1000 calories to see a loss and yesterday I had about 1400 calories. But as I've said, I'm not very active at all, so don't need as many calories. I'm pretty much eating what I have in the kitchen but just watching the calories. Most days it's mainly more of a Keto plan, or what's called the Lazy Keto plan. I do know the more carbs I have, the less weight I'm losing, so trying to stick to mainly proteins with just a little carb to balance it out ( like I'll add rice to something or have mac n cheese but add tuna to it. I'm still only eating one meal a day, so I am drinking a little more black coffee each day. I have a 18 oz. travel mug that I use for coffee because it keeps the coffee hot for hours (Contigo travel mug from Walgreens). So I'm drinking 1-1/2 mugs most days now. Then I switch to water or a combination of water and water based drinks. All zero calories. I don't plan what meal I'm going to have for the day. I just pick something from what I have. I have no junk food in the house at all and don't plan to bring any in. At one point I was eating peanut butter again but I think I'm developing a peanut allergy as the last few times I've eaten it, it's done a real number on my stomach with cramping and diareah, so I no longer have it in the house. I don't need anything that's going to tear up my stomach like that. I also found out that white potatoes in any form does me the same way, so I won't be having those any more either. I haven't tried sweet potatoes yet to see if they bother me. The last time I had one it didn't so it may just be white potatoes that I have an issue with. Little by little my food choices are changing if out of necessity or else because it's more calories/carbs than I want to be eating.

icantswim avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2024 10:41 AM ET

Hi group! I'm also just hanging in there. I'm doing a lot with egg whites lately. One thing I'm enjoying now is sauteing some spinach, tomato, red pepper, pouring egg whites over it to cook, then eating it with salsa and cottage cheese.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Finally
Date Posted: 4/24/2024 1:54 AM ET

My cold is really over! I went to Stretch Zone this morning, and then worked for 6 hours, so now it's time to sleep.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53 AM ET

I've never been crazy about egg white anything, Heather, but that sounds good.

Glad you're feeling better Margaret and were able to get to the gym like you wanted.

Weigh in today for me showed 246.6, so it's still heading in the right direction.

icantswim avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2024 12:43 PM ET

Good job, Vicki! I'm glad you're seeing early results! Do you think it's something you can maintain and keep doing?

Today I passed my goal! I am down 10.2 lbs since January and down 7.7 lbs since starting the Healthi app.

Life just works out because I never would have heard of Healthi without you guys. Thank you! I mean it's really changed my life. 

I was just bouncing around the same 3 lbs range all of January and February. Getting no where permanent. This is the most weight loss I've had since before Covid. 

Now my new goal is 5 more lbs. I'll probably hover where I am and fluctuate here and there before seeing movement toward the new goal. We're going on a trip for the last half of May, so maybe, fingers crossed, I can lose these next 5 lbs by then.... we'll see how things start go for the next week or two.

One thing I've noticed too is that I gain a little after a day where I ate cereal. I am cutting that out. I was eating Post's plain shredded wheat on my exercise days, but not anymore. I'm hoping that helps things from fluctuating too much on the scale.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Down
Date Posted: 4/24/2024 10:47 PM ET

The scale was down today! I'm just not hungry like I was. I think part of that is that I am finally sleeping enough since I'm not coughing all night.

When I don't sleep enough I crave sugar all day, and that has really gone away the last few days.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/25/2024 5:24 AM ET

Heather, you and Margaret are doing great!!! Keep it up. My weight is up slightly this morning but I know it's because I had more carbs yesterday than I've been having, so I'll keep the carbs really low today and see if that helps.

Heather, you asked if this plan was something I could stay with; yes, I'm pretty sure I can. I ate in this way for many years. It was only after I married Bob and he expected me to cook 2-3 meals a day that I stopped eating like I had been.

My biggest problem since losing Bob has been getting back into cooking for one person, and I really don't cook anymore, at least not on the stove. I use the microwave, toaster oven, or crockpot. So now I'm trying to buy single serve everything so I won't cook more than I need per meal. I don't do well with having leftovers. Some things I can't get in single serve but I can seperate into single serve, so that's what I'm doing. And if I use the crockpot, I make up single serve portions to go into the freezer for later meals.

jacci-jerri avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 12:26 AM ET

I started to weigh this morning and my scale kept showing weird numbers.  I will get sone new batteries for it.  I do feel better.  I started some vitamins and supplements too and I have so much more energy already.  

Teri, I smile every time I think of your dog catching a mouse!  

Heather, so glad Healthi has helped you.  That makes me happy.  

VickI, you are doing great and your determination is inspiring. 

Margaret, you are inspiring me too with your getting back into exercise. 

I am moving more and getting more determined too.   

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Down again!
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 12:51 AM ET

The scale was down a bit again this morning! I'm not really trying to eat better, though I just naturally eat less when I get enough sleep. I honestly think that a big part of this is that I am finally recovering from that long cold and I am tidying my living space, taking care of lots of little things I let slide as I didn't have energy. I've noticed this before. As I declutter my living space, I declutter some fat from my body.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 8:52 AM ET

Hi Jacci, Hope once you replace the batteries your scale will be nice to you. Glad you're having more energy. My scale doesn't work like my old one did, which is frustrating. You have to lightly step on long enough for numbers to appear, then step off til it shows double 00, then step back on. And if you don't step just right it doesn't settle down to the correct number before it blacks out. If you do it correctly the final number will blink 3 times. I may end up trying to get a different scale altogether if this one keeps acting up like this. I have enough frustration with a scale without the added aggrivation of having to baby the scale. Might just get a non-digital one. Not anytime soon as money is too tight to buy another one right now.

Margaret, you could be right about sleep vs weight. Just glad you're doing better.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 9:31 AM ET

I'm hanging at 196. Today is the 6th anniversary of my wife's passing. I'm getting together with 3 close friends for a remembrance day. They were her friends too. I'm treating everyone to subs and chips. I know I'll see the result on the scale but I also know I'll take it off again.  I've been waiting for this day to go by to buckle down. My Dad does a "celebration" day every year on the day Mom passed. I thought it sounded like something I wanted to do this year.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 11:41 AM ET

Teri, I love the idea of a celebration day!

Im up a little on the scale today because I splurged on Culver's custard since the flavor of the day was my favorite! But I'm still down for the week. 

I don't have much energy this morning so I hope that changes!

I'm headed to Stretch Zone this morning and then to work.

icantswim avatar
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 1:50 PM ET

Teri, your Celebration Day sounds lovely, and important for your soul. I hope it is a peaceful day of reflection.

Margaret, it is good to hear that you are taking time for yourself now! Decluttering and rebalancing are so important. It sounds like you are finding it to be a natural, healthy step toward weight-loss. I am also a big advocate for sleep. I find that I am at my best, and overall happier, when I sleep right. I make it a priority as besst I can. I can't go to bed too late and just "sleep in" to feel good. No, I have to be in bed by a certain hour for it be right. Otherwise, the next day I am off, even if I "slept-in" and got the same # hours. Nope. For me, it has to be a certain timeframe.

Vicki, keep hanging in there girl! I think I have the same scale. I have to step on quickly to activate it, then step off. Then I step back on carefully and I don't move. After a few seconds it settles and locks in the weight. At first I wondered if it was being inaccurate because of all the quickly changing numbers, but we have tested it with dumbells, and it is accurate. Also, my husband went to the Dr. today for a routine check. They weighed him there, then he immediately weighed himself when he returned, still fully dressed, and got the same weight the Dr. had. So, we are satisified with the accuracy of the scale.

Jacci, I am so glad to hear you are feeling more energetic. Keep doing what you're doing!

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Invites
Date Posted: 4/26/2024 8:49 PM ET

I invited a bunch of people to join us! Don't know whether they will!

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 4/27/2024 8:40 AM ET

Yesterday was a good day. I enjoyed my friends, who all knew and loved my wife, and the sub sandwich was wonderful.  I slept well last night and got up ready  to get things done. Today I have my pick of tasks: bathe the dog, clean the house, rake or move the rhubarb patch. Moving the rhubarb and raking will be hard work. Its supposed to start raining this afternoon and for a couple days so even though Poor Meggie needs a bath for her comfort and health, I may put it off again so I can do outside stuff before the rain.  Yes, I gained a couple pounds yesterday but I knew I would. Now I'm back on track.

Last Edited on: 4/27/24 8:41 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/27/2024 9:32 AM ET

That's great Margaret. Hope they will.

Teri, it's always bitter sweet when you remember a loved one that's passed. Glad yesterday went alright for you. Don't over do it today with the work outside. You don't want to get too sore.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Howdy
Date Posted: 4/27/2024 8:54 PM ET

I made it home before the rain, barely. Still need to do the knee exercises for today.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2024 8:07 AM ET

Glad you got home before the rain Margaret. Did you get the knee exercises done?

After a week of barely eating and some yo-yo-ing going on the last couple of days, this morning my weight is 2 oz. more than it was last Sunday. It's 248.8. As I figured, all I was losing was excess fluid and then it stabalized. I'm going to stick to the one meal a day routine because I do feel better when I wait til around 4pm to eat, so we'll see what the scale shows for this week.

Hope everyone has a good week and reaches your weekly goal of whatever it is you're working towards.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: I didn’t
Date Posted: 4/28/2024 2:02 PM ET

I didn't end up doing the knee exercises. My non surgical knee started to be really painful and I didn't want to push it! The pain was probably weather related.

Yesterday I ate almost an entire box of cereal! But it was keto, and the scale was down today anyway.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2024 9:01 AM ET

I hope your knee is feeling better today, Margaret. I've had days when I'll eat a whole lot of something, like you did with the cereal, and sometimes it shows on the scale, and sometimes it doesn't. Mine did from last night. I ended up eating a whole sleeve of saltine crackers. Way too much salt. It was the only thing I had in the apt. to snack on and I was craving carbs. Not making excuses. I did it and my scale numbers are up big time this morning so I'll have to be super careful the next couple of days.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2024 9:15 AM ET

I am my own worst enemy. I'm talking about bakery sugar cookies! Once again I had to toss out a lovely package of cookies because I can't stay out of them. Every single time I've been successful in losing weight, sigar cookies have not been involved!  Back on track.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/30/2024 9:05 AM ET

I know what you mean Teri. I don't have a problem with sugar cookies but I do have that problem with certain breads so I try to keep those out of the apt.

Last day of the month... how did everyone do, over all?

I started out yo-yo-ing, dropped some quick pounds then regained every pound plus more. I'm ending the month 4 lbs. heavier than I started. Hoping the 1st of the month weigh in tomorrow will be kinder than todays was.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Month
Date Posted: 4/30/2024 10:23 AM ET

April 1: 229.2 lb.   April 30: 230.4

But... there was a peak in there of 234.6, so I'm happy it is going back down. I had ups and downs, but I am finally over that cold!

The weather is better, so I'm trying to get outside and walk more.

Page: