Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Caregivers' Forum Caregivers' Forum

Topic: anyone else have someone you love with dementia

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
carolceltic avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: anyone else have someone you love with dementia
Date Posted: 6/23/2010 11:13 PM ET

my mom was recently diagnosed with this  dementiaabout month ago even though we kind of knew she had it . she fell and hit her head and was in hospital overnight and she home but she forget alot and repeat same thing . i am bless and spend weekend every weekend with her . we laugh when she forget that her style she good women and i believe my weekend are her for how long . she not wandering but i like to hear from  ohter people she 82 my dad who health is so so is with her all time he 91 and brother bring food and she has nurses and pt come in and she going to get meal on wheel.

carol

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: father in law with alzheimers dementia
Date Posted: 7/13/2010 3:57 PM ET

hello my husband recently quit his job to care for his dad we moved in with him my husband is 35 we gave up our home  but i knew this before i married him he is the child number 11 of the 12 we both worked in a nursing home and know this disease all to well. It is one of the hardest things to live with since you never know when they will remember you for me its another milestone i want my husband to cherish his dad for however long. the best thing to do is set up a daily routine and cherish every moment

carolceltic avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2010 7:52 PM ET

im try michelle i have my own apartment from im over there friday to sunday and sometime monday . it hard watch but it not here fault i loveher allot.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/17/2010 6:43 AM ET

My dad was diagnosed quite some time ago Carol. He's turning 90 next week. Dementia is a very confusing condition, for the person and their family. Just when you think they've 'lost it' completely, it's almost as if a part of their brain has fired up again and they'll remember/relate something clearly, almost to the point you think their diagnosis is wrong. But then in their next conversation, they'll ask you 6 times what day it is or step out of the bathroom looking all befuddled, clearly not sure what they're supposed to do next. It's incredibly difficult to see. :( My dad's mind was always sharp, curious. He never even graduated high school but having been a reader all his life, he was a constant learner, great story-teller, and an amazing man. Now he's quickly becoming a shell of what he was. :( It is not easy Carol. Just love them, hug them, be there for them, and appreciate each and every day we are given with them.

Your mom is lucky she has you.

tessfan avatar
Date Posted: 1/22/2012 2:13 PM ET

Please read the book Ma Is Back!  You may find it helpful.  : )